G37 Sedan

Well - I said goodbye to my G...hello Q

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 10:44 PM
MalbecG37S

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Well - I said goodbye to my G...hello Q

So - it was about 2 weeks ago when I dropped off my G. Infiniti kept calling...and kept sweetening the deal. So I went for it.

After several test drives, I wanted a particular car: Q50S w/Nav w/high perf wheel-tire but w/o deluxe touring (read: no DAS). I have to say - the 'S' in the Q feels like a different vehicle (compared to the non-S). The difference seemed to be greater than the G S-vs-Non-S...but that is just one opinion.

They had to get the car from Louisiana. I must admit - I love it more than I thought I would. I went for Moonlight White on Stone (BIG difference from Black on Black!). It has a few accessories as well: welcome lighting, ambient lighting, & splashguards.

Initial impressions: they have really changed the throttle mapping (at least in 'standard' mode - haven't played with sport, eco, nor snow). Throttle tip-in is far, far smoother. The trans shift logic has also been much refined. Interior feels roomier - sport seats wider. Electronics are way different. Sound system sounds more 'full'. Handling - feels just as flat if not more confident in the few situations I have thrown at it.

Anyway - I'll still be floating around here on occasion. This is still a great board.

Here are a couple pics...

Thanks all!
Attached Thumbnails Well - I said goodbye to my G...hello Q-frontq.jpg   Well - I said goodbye to my G...hello Q-sideq.jpg   Well - I said goodbye to my G...hello Q-rays.jpg  

Last edited by MalbecG37S; 02-20-2015 at 10:50 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:00 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Congrats on the new ride!

The Q is nice and all, and the looks have grown on me....but no stick shift, no care
The following 3 users liked this post by Lego_Maniac:
chilibowl (02-23-2015), indowanksta88 (02-23-2015), telcoman (02-22-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 11:09 PM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Received 432 Likes on 289 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
but no stick shift, no care
I concur.

Congrats nonetheless! Be sure to change the steering setting so the wheel doesn't feel so nonresponsive.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:12 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
Love the looks of the new sedan but like the posters above me have said, no stick, no care.
The following users liked this post:
nethole (02-21-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 11:41 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Congrats on the new Q, enjoy!
Old 02-21-2015, 08:35 AM
KEG97
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Congrats! The S is definitely the only way to get the new Q50, but I'm still not a fan of the rear. Good luck with the Stone interior- it's beautiful when it's new, but it's a bear to keep looking clean and new. Black interiors might be dull but they hide age and imperfections so well.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:38 AM
G37Xtreme

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac

The Q is nice and all, and the looks have grown on me....but no stick shift, no care
I guess we need a stick shift sub forum for certain Infiniti owners. This way, they can care about the threads they encounter.

Last edited by G37Xtreme; 02-21-2015 at 08:47 AM.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:22 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Originally Posted by MalbecG37S
After several test drives, I wanted a particular car: Q50S w/Nav w/high perf wheel-tire but w/o deluxe touring (read: no DAS). I have to say - the 'S' in the Q feels like a different vehicle (compared to the non-S). The difference seemed to be greater than the G S-vs-Non-S...but that is just one opinion.

They had to get the car from Louisiana. I must admit - I love it more than I thought I would. I went for Moonlight White on Stone (BIG difference from Black on Black!). It has a few accessories as well: welcome lighting, ambient lighting, & splashguards.

Initial impressions: they have really changed the throttle mapping (at least in 'standard' mode - haven't played with sport, eco, nor snow). Throttle tip-in is far, far smoother. The trans shift logic has also been much refined. Interior feels roomier - sport seats wider. Electronics are way different. Sound system sounds more 'full'. Handling - feels just as flat if not more confident in the few situations I have thrown at it.
I had a long, somewhat spirited test-drive when the Q50 first came out. Was driving the Q50S, and I agree with your assessment. Really good for its class of car... nothing necessarily bad about it. However, when I got back into my gently-modded 6MT Sedan, I immediately realized that I had the better driver's car. It wasn't just the stick-shift, although that's an undeniable component to the comparison, so I guess you can put me in the "no-6mt-no-care" crowd.

And I also immediately realized my interior was kind of crude in comparison, LOL. The Q's interior is quite good, as long as you have the leather seats. That faux-leather is really awful.

Last edited by Rochester; 02-21-2015 at 10:35 AM.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:08 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Congrats on the new ride man. Hope you continue to really enjoy it.
MalbecG37S (02-21-2015)
Old 02-21-2015, 11:26 AM
MalbecG37S

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
I had a long, somewhat spirited test-drive when the Q50 first came out. Was driving the Q50S, and I agree with your assessment. Really good for its class of car... nothing necessarily bad about it. However, when I got back into my gently-modded 6MT Sedan, I immediately realized that I had the better driver's car. It wasn't just the stick-shift, although that's an undeniable component to the comparison, so I guess you can put me in the "no-6mt-no-care" crowd.

And I also immediately realized my interior was kind of crude in comparison, LOL. The Q's interior is quite good, as long as you have the leather seats. That faux-leather is really awful.

It was your White G (and others) that inspired me to make my color choice. And yes - the S comes standard with Leather (at least in '15, not idea about the '14s). Also the '15 fixes a few software issues.

I'd agree that the Q is more insulated - more on the luxury side of 'sport-lux'. Maybe I'm getting old (there is no maybe about it!) - but I welcomed the change.

And - I had a 7at for many reasons (one being a left knee goes to crap about 1x a year - but that is another story). The 7at in the Q is the same hardware, but obviously different software. I am old enough (50) to remember when there really wasn't any 'software' in a car. So I am somewhat still in awe of the state of the automobile today - the software engineers have a larger role in the feel of the car than the hardware guys.

On another note - kudos to Infiniti for their lighting scheme. The DRLs & overall front & rear lights are not 'me too'. It is a unique look & helps make the car look 'low & wide'. Which...is one thing my G (on stock springs) never really looked IMO.

Thx
twin_snails (02-24-2015)
Old 02-21-2015, 12:45 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
IMO, three-stage paints are fascinating, particularly white. There's a certain kind of misty depth to it that really appeals to me. I once had a 1999 Maxima SE 5MT that was Pearl White, and missed it terribly. In fact, I've owned 4 white cars in my life so far... it's a very classy choice. And the way Pearl White changes over the years as it ages is also fascinating. However, you have to be willing to compromise on how it ages on different surfaces, and just accept that the bumper skins will never look exactly 100% the same as the fenders. It's just the way of it. And of course, there's the whole repair issue. If you ever have to have a section of the car repainted, it just won't match. There's that, too.

Essentially, there's an emotional balance, a certain kind of fragility, that comes with having a pearl white car. As long as you can maintain that balance, it's very rewarding.

I'm also over 50, OP. Age happens, LOL.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:15 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 332 Likes on 253 Posts
Congrats sir, sport trims with those optional wheels look great, very sharp.

Wonder if those centercaps fit the G wheels, thinking yes? Hmmmmm
MalbecG37S (02-21-2015)
Old 02-22-2015, 10:07 AM
flipmode007
Premier Member

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

keep posting here with new mods if you can, I may be getting the Q when I finish paying for the Q.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:06 AM
Keroro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hunggghhhh

exhaust then call it a day. thing looks aggressive as is..
Old 02-23-2015, 07:20 AM
tchoke

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
congrats on the new car
I purchased a white mdx couple months ago and one thing i didnt consider is how white shows the rail dust so much, I have already clayed it but within 2 months its back again.

Quick Reply: Well - I said goodbye to my G...hello Q