G37 Sedan

Well - I said goodbye to my G...hello Q

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 06:07 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
The Q50 non s definitely does not handle better than the g37S.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:00 PM
MalbecG37S

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by twin_snails
Malbec, I concur with your assessment of the Q50 with regard to handling. I've only driven the non-S model when I've had loaners from Grubbs but I think it's still an improvement IMHO over my car. The handling is much more flat and neutral than the G. The trans shift logic is definitely improved. I did notice in the non-S model that they've made the final drive ratio taller (numerically smaller) and that hurts off the line acceleration ever so slightly but is good for maybe a 1mpg bump on the highway. I'm not sure if that is the case for the S model though.

The car definitely feels wider. I'm a tall guy and have broad shoulders so I appreciate that aspect. It looks wider and lower as well which makes for a more aggressive stance. I drove an M37 a few years ago and it was too big. I felt dwarfed by M37 but the Q50 is the Goldilocks when it comes to interior space.

I think the UI on the infotainment system is a hot mess. As someone with years of experience with intuitive UI's, this is anything but intuitive. I suppose it takes some getting used to, but the NAV system in the G works just like you think it should in most cases with no need to consult the manual. With that being said, even the clunky UI would not prevent me from getting a Q. I can only hope for some revisions in '16.

Congrats on your new purchase and enjoy!
Thank you!

Actually - unsure if the final drive ratio changed - but the throttle mapping definitely changed. And the NAV (and overall UI) isn't bad IMO. But then again - I'm very used to clunky UI.

And YES - it feels wider. And it is...my garage is 'more full'! I am going to change my parking spot in the garage...before my wife in her RX gives me a tap!

If you use Grubbs - ask for Jeff Armstrong. He really went above and beyond to get me in the right car.

Thanks again!
Old 02-24-2015, 07:03 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by AroundTheG37
Exactly......
Old 02-24-2015, 07:49 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 178 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
^^You're saying the q50 non s had better handling than your 2010 g37s? When you say more flat and neutral, what do you mean? The G's handling is twitchy, uncertain, non confidence inspiring?
Affirmative. I've done a lot of mods to get my G37's handling where I think it should be and while it's very good, it's still not quite where I want it to be. It's close, but not quite there. Lean was solved with sways. (Coming from a G35 Coupe with sport package, the stock G37S sedan had more lean than a drunk at marti gras.)

Namely, my nits are with the rear suspension, which at times feels weird and by that I mean not as taut, planted, and solid as I would like it to be and maybe even bouncy over undulating road surfaces. It's something that has developed more as the car has aged. After nearly 100k miles, that's par for the course I suppose, and it gets on my nerves when it crops up. I notice small details of how my car drives. Not saying others don't but framing a reference point for my opinion. I would characterize it as annoying in the way that the FI cat hiss is annoying to AroundTheG37, although the FI rasp under WOT does. I wouldn't say that I ever feel unsafe though or a lack of confidence though.

I haven't driven a Q50S (yet) but my impression when driving the non-S was that it felt pretty damn good for being a non-S. I didn't feel the bouncy-ness of the rear suspension. I didn't feel a whole lot of body lean that was immediately screaming for a prescription of Hotchkiss aftermarket sways. It felt planted and secure. FWIW, I have Koni Yellows on the G37 and they're adjusted slightly stiffer than stock with stock springs.

It's a very minor thing and may just be attributed to the car getting older. Maybe a better way to frame what I said is that the platform feels like a solid starting point for modding. I'll leave it at that because I don't want to jack Malbec's thread on my not important Q50 impressions.

It's a subjective opinion, everyone has one, and preferences may vary. What annoys you in a big way about the car (FI cats) doesn't annoy me as much and I suspect that's true of many aspects of the car across the continuum of the forum.

Originally Posted by MalbecG37S
Thank you!

Actually - unsure if the final drive ratio changed - but the throttle mapping definitely changed. And the NAV (and overall UI) isn't bad IMO. But then again - I'm very used to clunky UI.

And YES - it feels wider. And it is...my garage is 'more full'! I am going to change my parking spot in the garage...before my wife in her RX gives me a tap!

If you use Grubbs - ask for Jeff Armstrong. He really went above and beyond to get me in the right car.

Thanks again!
I agree on the throttle mapping. I noticed lower rpms at 70 mph. Maybe I'll have to get used to the UI...I'm sure part of it is just adapting to a new system.

I will write his name down but I'm a ways away from doing anything. A year away at the earliest. I'm oping they will put the twin turbo 3.0 from the forthcoming Q60 in the Q50. That's my hold out for waiting.

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Exactly......
Just an observation. It wasn't in anyway a dig on the G37S.

Last edited by twin_snails; 02-24-2015 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:59 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by twin_snails

It's a subjective opinion, everyone has one, and preferences may vary. What annoys you in a big way about the car (FI cats) doesn't annoy me as much and I suspect that's true of many aspects of the car across the continuum of the forum.

Subjective somewhat yes, but hydraulic > electric IMO. Also, real world numbers are not subjective and I can almost guarantee the g37S would be quicker around the track than it's new non S version of itself.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:17 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Subjective somewhat yes, but hydraulic > electric IMO. Also, real world numbers are not subjective and I can almost guarantee the g37S would be quicker around the track than it's new non S version of itself.
+1

And it's why Infiniti is putting the old S steering into the QS in 2016

Virtually ever instrumented test of the new QS has the old GS posting identical or slightly better handling numbers. It seems odd your opinion that the base Q is better than the GS, especially considering the all season vs summer tires. Maybe your car is just tired
Old 02-24-2015, 08:47 PM
G37Xtreme

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
I thought the Q50 was a new car.

Q60 = G37 coupe
Q40 = G37 sedan

Q50...isn't this technically a new car?
Old 02-24-2015, 08:56 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by G37Xtreme

Q60 = G37 coupe
Q40 = G37 sedan

Define "new car"

It's the same wheelbase and is otherwise dimensionally similar to the G37. It uses the same or existing (hybrid) motors and the same 7AT. There are some new/updated technologies as well--like electric steering.

I see it as more a 3rd generation G than an all new car.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:42 PM
Michael440

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was thinking about getting q50 but after test driving my friend Q50 I said no.
Basically same engine with dull steering and REALY messed up infotainment system!!! It's painful to use it.
But I really like exterior.
When Infiniti fixes infoteinmemt system, refine steering, and do some update to the engine, I will get it.

My fiend actually can't wait to get rid of his Q50.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:26 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 178 Likes on 117 Posts
I agree with you on that. I absolutely would not get the steer by wire setup. Malbec said he got the version without DAS so it retains the hydraulic steering. It may be quicker around a track with it's shorter final drive than the Q. It's 3.13:1 on the Q and 3.369:1 on the G37 and I definitely felt that difference when driving. But a few tenths or a second quicker on the track would not be enough to steer me one way or the other on a car purchase. The overall daily driving experience and feel is more important to me because I don't track my car, or rally/road race it.

+1

And it's why Infiniti is putting the old S steering into the QS in 2016

Virtually ever instrumented test of the new QS has the old GS posting identical or slightly better handling numbers. It seems odd your opinion that the base Q is better than the GS, especially considering the all season vs summer tires. Maybe your car is just tired
It's well documented that the DAS steer by wire has been widely panned in practically every review out there. But that's not the point...Malbec got the hydraulic version and I drove the hydraulic version as well and have never driven one with DAS, so I can't comment on that.

Again, I don't track my car or race so the all season vs summer tire difference is negligible at best. My car has almost 100k on the odometer so it may be tired. And cars drive very differently from when they're brand new vs having close to 100k miles.

There's nothing wrong with preferring the Q over the G but I realize that my opinion is an anathema to the forum, but it shouldn't be, because it's just one guy's preference. It doesn't mean the G is any less, because it's a great car.

Q60 = G37 coupe
Q40 = G37 sedan

I think the Q50 was initially a replacement to the G37, but it now appears that it has slotted between the Q40/G37 and the Q70/M37/M56. I think that was not supposed to be the plan because the Q50 has gone upmarket and axing the entry bread and butter Q40/G37 was not an option. Keeping the G37 around was smart because it's a great car. The Q50 isn't doing as much volume as the G37 either.

The model lineup is expanding and I think the status of the Q40 as we know it becomes murky with the Q30/QX30 on the horizon.
The following users liked this post:
MalbecG37S (02-25-2015)
Old 02-25-2015, 09:05 AM
G37Xtreme

Define "new car"
I just did

The Q40 and Q60 are, from what I can tell, IDENTICAL to the G37 sedan and coupe. The Q50 is different. It may only differ in 7 areas, but it's still different, and thus, a different car.

The Q40 and Q60 are simply name changes. The Q50 is actually a new car...even if it's 93% the same, it's not like 100% the same which is what we get with the Q40 and Q60. Those are just rebadged G37 models while the Q50 is not.
The following users liked this post:
eljoker (02-25-2015)
Old 02-25-2015, 09:54 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

The Q40 and Q60 are simply name changes. The Q50 is actually a new car...even if it's 93% the same, it's not like 100% the same which is what we get with the Q40 and Q60. Those are just rebadged G37 models while the Q50 is not.
The Q40 and Q60 are not 100% the same ss the G37 sedan and coupe. The not only have Q badges, but they also have 3.7 badges on the fender, therefore they too are new cars.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:25 AM
eljoker

Received 192 Likes on 125 Posts
Congrats on the Q50, you got the right one!

The plan was for the Q50 to completely replace the G37. But then everyone started selling Luxury cars in the $30ks and the Q50 MSRP went ^^^^. There was/is a real Q40 in development but in the mean time Infiniti decided to re brand it the G37 as a Q40 for 1 year, the 2015 year. Since its a bigger car than the A3/CLA and it has more standard power than the 320i, and its $$$ as hell for Inifiniti. To make matters even more confusing, they will come out with a Q40 that will probably have nothing to do with the G37 or the current Q40. I would bet money on a FWD/AWD platform rather than a FM/RWD.

For a time, the Q40 was slotted to be that EV car based on the leaf

In a lump sum, its a cluster!
The following 2 users liked this post by eljoker:
MalbecG37S (02-25-2015), twin_snails (02-25-2015)
Old 02-25-2015, 10:37 AM
KEG97
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
The Q40 and Q60 are not 100% the same ss the G37 sedan and coupe. The not only have Q badges, but they also have 3.7 badges on the fender, therefore they too are new cars.
Q40/60 are the same car as the G37- just rebadged. Helen Keller can see that.

Are you going to say the 2014-15 QX80 is a new car/truck compared to the 2011-13 QX56? It's the same SUV- just rebadged.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:50 PM
G37Xtreme

It was already stated that they were rebadged. Pointing out that they were rebadged twice does not change anything.