G37 Sedan

Gonna miss my G

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 10:03 AM
CROONEY1970

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Gonna miss my G

For 7 years straight I have driven a G sedan (3 different cars). I guess all things must come to an end. With two kids we needed a sedan with more space in the back for car seats. It's been a week and I'm missing the sound of the Tanabe exhaust and the raw VQ horsepower .

I am however content with my new ride albeit not as fast, it looks good as was less expensive so it's paid for at least. 2004 530i with 81000 miles. Don't think I'll mod it much. Just put on new tires and added 12 mm spacers on front and 15mm on rears. It has some pull when you get the on it but nothing like the G.
Attached Thumbnails Gonna miss my G-image.jpg  
Old 02-19-2015, 10:29 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
I fit 2 car seats in the back of my G

Considering you also list a 2011 Tahoe.....I don't get it
Old 02-19-2015, 10:47 AM
CROONEY1970

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I fit 2 car seats in the back of my G

Considering you also list a 2011 Tahoe.....I don't get it
My wife drives the Hoe. But we both at some point during the day are picking up or dropping off the kids. The G has the most room compared to 3 series or an IS is TL. The 530 however has much more. The rear facing seat fits better now.

I'm also getting older (44) and was ready for a change. Still not happy about Infiniti scraping the G for the Q. I'll still check the boards from time to time as I'll probably own another Infiniti at some point, maybe an M or whatever it's called now.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:25 AM
G37Xtreme

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by CROONEY1970
My wife drives the Hoe. But we both at some point during the day are picking up or dropping off the kids. The G has the most room compared to 3 series or an IS is TL. The 530 however has much more. The rear facing seat fits better now.

I'm also getting older (44) and was ready for a change. Still not happy about Infiniti scraping the G for the Q. I'll still check the boards from time to time as I'll probably own another Infiniti at some point, maybe an M or whatever it's called now.
Curious...why not go with the M37, is the BMW larger, and if so, is it signifiganly larger? I've seen them with the Sport Package...which I assume gives you all the added stuff the G37 has with the same package. That being said, the larger M37 shares the same engine...so it won't be as fast as the G given the extra weight.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:41 AM
KEG97
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
I've got 3 kids but get the "space" thing- especially with rear facing car seats. You can do it, but it's not the best situation. If I take all 3 kids, I'm taking either the QX or the Q7.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:31 PM
CROONEY1970

The M37 was out of my price range. I did not want another care loan. I was looking for something with low miles, under $10k, and a little bigger than the G. Plus after 7 years I wanted try another brand. I'll now find out how much Ill miss Infiniti I guess. The power I already miss, but that's all.
Attached Thumbnails Gonna miss my G-image.jpg  
Old 02-19-2015, 12:43 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
In the context of that beautiful 530 cabin, you won't miss our drab dashboard. And now you have all kinds of wider, more comfortable space, with back seats to fit the basketball team.

My friend traded his 2004 530i 6MT for a 2011 650i Vert autotragic, and while he's happy as a clam, I always thought his 5-series was a Class-A ride, the softer handling and power notwithstanding. Damn attractive, too, after putting larger M6 rims on the car. Lord, those M6 wheels were nice.

Anyway, you've got a decent car there. Enjoy it.
The following users liked this post:
CROONEY1970 (02-19-2015)
Old 02-19-2015, 12:54 PM
Rochester
Administrator

IIRC, it was this design right here. Oh man, they looked good on his pitch black BMW.

Paint the non-sport calipers black, and toss in a set of slots... Yum.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:56 PM
CROONEY1970

Originally Posted by Rochester
IIRC, it was this design right here. Oh man, they looked good on his pitch black BMW.

Paint the non-sport calipers black, and toss in a set of slots... Yum.

Very nice indeed
Old 02-19-2015, 01:25 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Ive always thought BMW had ugly calipers. My FIL had a M6 that had wheels/brakes like the picture Rochester posted. $100,000+ for a 500 horsepower car and single piston sliding calipers
Old 02-19-2015, 01:29 PM
CROONEY1970

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Ive always thought BMW had ugly calipers. My FIL had a M6 that had wheels/brakes like the picture Rochester posted. $100,000+ for a 500 horsepower car and single piston sliding calipers
I agree. I think the calipers on my 530 look like crap. Totally look out of place on the car. I'm gonna paint them black for sure.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:37 PM
Rochester
Administrator

They probably look very much like the non-sport calipers on the G37... but older, and probably more gnarly. Yeah, OP, paint them black. Maybe not even gloss black; satin.

You could toss a CAI in that car, too; it would add a little growl. And a tower-brace, too, although guaranteed there's more body roll in that car than you're used to with the Infiniti. The 530i had pretty sloppy handling, IMO. Smooth and nice in a straight line, though.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:01 PM
CROONEY1970

Originally Posted by Rochester
They probably look very much like the non-sport calipers on the G37... but older, and probably more gnarly. Yeah, OP, paint them black. Maybe not even gloss black; satin.

You could toss a CAI in that car, too; it would add a little growl. And a tower-brace, too, although guaranteed there's more body roll in that car than you're used to with the Infiniti. The 530i had pretty sloppy handling, IMO. Smooth and nice in a straight line, though.
For an 80k mile car it handles really well actually. Not any more noticeable roll than my G had. Neither car having sports package. Cars weigh about the same but G feels lighter because it's got 100 more HP. Ride is nicer on 530. The e60 5 series 2004-10 were much improved handling over the previous e39. Only had it a week and it carves really well. Couldn't keep up with the G tho, no way. Heated steering wheel is nice too.

I'll probably go with an AFE dry pro filter and an axle back exhaust. That's what I had on the G.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:02 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
BMW Does make some nice oem wheels. congrats on the new ride !
The following users liked this post:
CROONEY1970 (02-19-2015)
Old 02-19-2015, 04:23 PM
GAWD

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
I have a G37 and E60, both are great cars. BMW is loaded with tons of features, many hidden or unexpected, so read your manual cover to cover to fully appreciate the car. Makes I-drive much easier to navigate. For instance, hidden in your glove box is a flashlight that gets recharged by the car. Under the passenger foot well and inside the trunk are hidden 12V outlets. There was a post here the other day about the ONE awesome G37 ambient light in the overhead console. My E60 has about 15 of these LEDs. There are literally two in each door. Vehicle data is logged into your key fob. Take the fob to the BMW dealer and he can tell you any trouble codes, when the last time that fob started the car and how many miles were on it, etc all from the fob. In the trunk mounted tool kit is an Allen wrench. Its to close the moonroof incase of a failure. mine doesn't have this feature, but some E60's will make minor adjustments to the power seats after driving for long periods. Says it keeps you from getting fatigue, cramps. Pretty cool stuff.

Best advice I'll give.....

Battery is mounted in the trunk. Simple enough. There is also a small explosive charge on the battery cable (under the car) to "disconnect" power in the event of a major crash. It contains enough explosive whatever to damage the cable.

Well.... I went to Fort Sill in southwest Oklahoma to pick up my Army brother for a weekend pass. When you enter the base military police with M16's and dogs inspect your car. On mine, the bomb sniffing dog alerted to it. I had a lot of eyes on me, not a good position to be in. I told the guy I might have had ammo or a gun in the car at some point weeks prior, but there was nothing in it now. Dog disagreed. Fortunately a dog handler came from inside the base who had training in Germany and knew the BMW's had this "explosive charger" on the battery cable. I was allowed on the base, but scared me bejesus out of me.
The following 2 users liked this post by GAWD:
CRiME (02-19-2015), CROONEY1970 (02-19-2015)

Quick Reply: Gonna miss my G