G37 Sedan

Gonna miss my G

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 04:36 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Sorry to see you moving on Crooney, you've had some nice Gs for sure!
Sounds like you're doing what's proper for your situation, so props for that.
G/L w/ your 5, hope you have a better time than we did w/ our 7.
The following users liked this post:
CROONEY1970 (02-19-2015)
Old 02-19-2015, 04:38 PM
G37Xtreme

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by GAWD
I have a G37 and E60, both are great cars. BMW is loaded with tons of features, many hidden or unexpected, so read your manual cover to cover to fully appreciate the car. Makes I-drive much easier to navigate. For instance, hidden in your glove box is a flashlight that gets recharged by the car. Under the passenger foot well and inside the trunk are hidden 12V outlets. There was a post here the other day about the ONE awesome G37 ambient light in the overhead console. My E60 has about 15 of these LEDs. There are literally two in each door. Vehicle data is logged into your key fob. Take the fob to the BMW dealer and he can tell you any trouble codes, when the last time that fob started the car and how many miles were on it, etc all from the fob. In the trunk mounted tool kit is an Allen wrench. Its to close the moonroof incase of a failure. mine doesn't have this feature, but some E60's will make minor adjustments to the power seats after driving for long periods. Says it keeps you from getting fatigue, cramps. Pretty cool stuff.

Best advice I'll give.....

Battery is mounted in the trunk. Simple enough. There is also a small explosive charge on the battery cable (under the car) to "disconnect" power in the event of a major crash. It contains enough explosive whatever to damage the cable.

Well.... I went to Fort Sill in southwest Oklahoma to pick up my Army brother for a weekend pass. When you enter the base military police with M16's and dogs inspect your car. On mine, the bomb sniffing dog alerted to it. I had a lot of eyes on me, not a good position to be in. I told the guy I might have had ammo or a gun in the car at some point weeks prior, but there was nothing in it now. Dog disagreed. Fortunately a dog handler came from inside the base who had training in Germany and knew the BMW's had this "explosive charger" on the battery cable. I was allowed on the base, but scared me bejesus out of me.
"Germany" and "dog handling" go together. The explosive charge sounds like a great idea...in the event of a fuel leak...
Old 02-19-2015, 05:20 PM
CRiME
Premier Member

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by GAWD
I have a G37 and E60, both are great cars. BMW is loaded with tons of features, many hidden or unexpected, so read your manual cover to cover to fully appreciate the car. Makes I-drive much easier to navigate. For instance, hidden in your glove box is a flashlight that gets recharged by the car. Under the passenger foot well and inside the trunk are hidden 12V outlets. There was a post here the other day about the ONE awesome G37 ambient light in the overhead console. My E60 has about 15 of these LEDs. There are literally two in each door. Vehicle data is logged into your key fob. Take the fob to the BMW dealer and he can tell you any trouble codes, when the last time that fob started the car and how many miles were on it, etc all from the fob. In the trunk mounted tool kit is an Allen wrench. Its to close the moonroof incase of a failure. mine doesn't have this feature, but some E60's will make minor adjustments to the power seats after driving for long periods. Says it keeps you from getting fatigue, cramps. Pretty cool stuff.

Best advice I'll give.....

Battery is mounted in the trunk. Simple enough. There is also a small explosive charge on the battery cable (under the car) to "disconnect" power in the event of a major crash. It contains enough explosive whatever to damage the cable.

Well.... I went to Fort Sill in southwest Oklahoma to pick up my Army brother for a weekend pass. When you enter the base military police with M16's and dogs inspect your car. On mine, the bomb sniffing dog alerted to it. I had a lot of eyes on me, not a good position to be in. I told the guy I might have had ammo or a gun in the car at some point weeks prior, but there was nothing in it now. Dog disagreed. Fortunately a dog handler came from inside the base who had training in Germany and knew the BMW's had this "explosive charger" on the battery cable. I was allowed on the base, but scared me bejesus out of me.
This is actually......... Pretty awesome stuff

Sorry to hear that you had to endure that situation, but I had no idea that all of those random cool things were hidden in those cars!
Old 02-19-2015, 06:47 PM
brizey

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
In the context of that beautiful 530 cabin, you won't miss our drab dashboard. And now you have all kinds of wider, more comfortable space, with back seats to fit the basketball team.

My friend traded his 2004 530i 6MT for a 2011 650i Vert autotragic, and while he's happy as a clam, I always thought his 5-series was a Class-A ride, the softer handling and power notwithstanding. Damn attractive, too, after putting larger M6 rims on the car. Lord, those M6 wheels were nice.

Anyway, you've got a decent car there. Enjoy it.
Man, eyes and beholders and stuff. I can't stand how disjointed the dash is from the console in BMWs. Reminds me too much of bad 1970s and 1980s cars. The overdone "horiztontalness" of the dash just plain bothers me.

Kind of surprised the 5xx is that much bigger. The M is not really that much bigger front to back on the inside as compared to the G. But I drove an RDX while the kids were in rear-facers, so I get it. I had a WRX when my duaghter was born, and it was doable, but when we started working on the second one I got the Acura. As soon as we moved them to boosters I started shopping for sedans, lolololol.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:56 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Originally Posted by brizey
Man, eyes and beholders and stuff.
Well, that's true. Can't help it... I find the 2004 530i dashboard a more upscale and appealing design than the Stone interior of my G. Hopefully, the OP feels the same, because he's driving one now. Although my Sport Seats are better than those big, flat buckets. Hands down.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:35 PM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Received 432 Likes on 289 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I fit 2 car seats in the back of my G

Considering you also list a 2011 Tahoe.....I don't get it
My seats fit just fine too!
Old 02-19-2015, 08:10 PM
CROONEY1970

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks so much guys for all the info and advice. I'm not a G owner anymore but I don't want to leave this forum! U guys are the best
Old 02-19-2015, 08:22 PM
G37Xtreme

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Well, that's true. Can't help it... I find the 2004 530i dashboard a more upscale and appealing design than the Stone interior of my G. Hopefully, the OP feels the same, because he's driving one now.
You can say that again
Old 02-19-2015, 08:49 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I fit 2 car seats in the back of my G
As do I! It's the only reason I bought the car! LOL.

Name:  IMG_3792_zpssynz5rhr.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  88.6 KB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3792_zpssynz5rhr.jpg (88.6 KB, 37 views)
Old 02-19-2015, 10:16 PM
CROONEY1970

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AroundTheG37
As do I! It's the only reason I bought the car! LOL.

Nice photo. But our rear facing car seat now comes now where close to the front seat back like it did in the G. It's one thing to pack it in.......llbut another to have plenty of room for seats plus bags n such. Plus the trunk is HUGE and can handle 2 strollers with ease. For a compact car the G rules in every category. The 5 series in not a compact.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:19 AM
tchoke

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
nice choice for a replacement, enjoy
Old 02-20-2015, 08:31 AM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by AroundTheG37
ah glad to see my seat isnt the only one who gets the **** kicked out of it
Old 02-20-2015, 09:25 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by CROONEY1970
It's one thing to pack it in.......llbut another to have plenty of room for seats plus bags n such. Plus the trunk is HUGE and can handle 2 strollers with ease. For a compact car the G rules in every category. The 5 series in not a compact.
I agree, the G trunk is small, and there isnt much room left over. We mainly use my car for short trips--groceries, grandparents, etc. I can realistically only get one stroller in the trunk.

The good news is my wife has an Acura MDX for when we need kid gear. It even has an Elmo potty bungee corded in the back. Yeah, a potty. We're that cool
Old 02-20-2015, 10:01 AM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Daddy Fat Sacs
ah glad to see my seat isnt the only one who gets the **** kicked out of it
LOL, yeah, I used to clean it but now I just say fk it because it's inevitable.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:01 PM
G37XSER

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
According to Edmunds.com:
2004 530i
Rear Leg Room - 36 in
Rear Head Rm - 37.9 in
Rear Shoulder - 57.2 in
Trunk Cargo - 14 cu ft
Interior volume - 99.1 cu ft

2011 G37XS
Rear Leg Room - 34.7 in
Rear Head Room - 37.2 in
Rear Shoulder - 55.2 in
Trunk Cargo - 13.5 cu ft
Interior volume - 110 cu ft

I never did understand why the G is compact and 5 series GS's and E Class are a class above/bigger when they are so close. I checked all of the specs in the E350, the GS350 and the A6 along with the G37 and they were so close if not higher (like interior volume of the G37 compared to the 530i) that it was ONE of the main reasons I chose the G. Just my observations.

David

Quick Reply: Gonna miss my G