G37 Sedan

Wind Noise - 2011 G37x

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 12:40 AM
teddypeej

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wind Noise - 2011 G37x

All,

I have a 2011 G37x, i purchased back over the summer. I love this car, just one irritating problem. On the highway going 60 or over there is a wind noise that clearly comes from the passenger driver side window. It seems to only happen when a cross wind hits the car going around 60 and up. The noise comes and goes and is a whistle/humming sound. I told the dealer, they drove it, couldn't recreate it, and did nothing.

When the noise was happening, i had the shotgun passenger push the door in - it didnt stop. I had them push the window in and it stopped. As soon as they let go it started again and so on. I took a video of this happening and showed it the dealer mechanic and felt like it would get fixed as they agreed it would really bother them as well. They couldn't recreate the problem, and did nothing to help. I explained that the situation comes and goes only when the wind is right at a certain speed. The highway the dealer is on only has a speed limit of 60. I explained to the dude chances are slim to none of recreating the noise. Research from this site led me to itb07-004, but this is clearly for the 07 and the dealer would not help me on that one. Has this happened to anyone else?

I requested them to just replace the weather seal. He said it could be one of four problems (2 valves, the weather seal, or the chrome ha). He's playing me because my factory warranty is up end of next month. What would you do? What can I do to get this fixed without driving some mechanic all the way to i-95? I have two documented cases of infiniti doing nothing to help. Thanks for any help u can provide.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:00 AM
GAWD

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
Watch this video and follow the steps.

There is a chance your passenger side window was replaced or needs to simply be reset. The limit switch is a safety device intended to keep fingers from getting pinched.

Do you have a micrometer? Like a vernier micrometer for taking precise measurements? If so, lower the window a bit. Apply a piece of masking tape to the edge. Inside or outside, doesn't really matter. Roll the window all the way up. Mark the tape with a pen carefully where it is flush with the edge of the weatherstrip. Roll window down and measure the amount of glass that goes into the weatherstrip based on your markings. Now do the exact same measurement on another window, like the drivers side for comparison. If the measurements are considerably different, then you should A) report this back to the dealership, or B) take it to a glass repair place for them to adjust accordingly. If the measurements are the same, then there is not an issue with the distance the glass travels into the seal and your wind noise is coming from elsewhere.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:58 AM
jgronline

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
My 2011 G37s does the same thing but it takes a lot of cross wind and traveling at least 80 MPH for it to happen. Needless to say, it doesn't happen often so I haven't done anything about it.

I've had other cars do this too. I think it has more to do with the pressure in pressure inside the car than anything else because I've owned 2 other cars that did the same thing. A GVR4 and an SE-R. Always the back window area on the passenger side.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:40 AM
teddypeej

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks GAWD - i will check that out.

jgronline - Yeah - mine seems to start that noise when it is at high speeds and/or high cross wind. I like to drive around 80 or so on the highway so when the noise starts, and i have to slow down, this is a bummer.

It is a pretty high pitched howl, does this really not bother you? I guess i am a little too particular.

Also - side note, i got the service records, it looks like the door made a popping noise when opened back in 2012, the dealer tightened the door to stop it. Could this be linked in any way?

Regards
Old 02-19-2015, 12:15 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Sadly we all have this, My wife NEW Q50 has it also, :/
Old 02-19-2015, 05:19 PM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The day I bought my 2010 I had wind noise when I was driving 40 miles home, on the Interstate.
I opened and closed all the windows to see if that would help, but it didn't seem to. The next morning when I drove it there was no longer any wind noise and there hasn't been any wind noise since then in the 5 years I have owned it.
Tom
Old 02-20-2015, 07:32 AM
jgronline

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by teddypeej
It is a pretty high pitched howl, does this really not bother you? I guess i am a little too particular.

Regards
It rarely happens. I think maybe twice last year and not because I drive slow but because it takes just the right conditions.

You can adjust the doors pretty easily too. You could also try silicone spray on the door seals.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:56 AM
forrmark

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
No wind noise in my 2011 G37, but lots of wind noise in my mustang convertible, especially with the top down.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:11 PM
Philaw

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a significant amount of passenger wind noise on my '09 AWD Coupe last Sunday when I was driving North on I-95 around 80 mph. Yes, there was a cross-wind. I thought the weather-stripping was coming off, but it seems fine. Just a negative quirk with this car, unfortunately .
Old 03-13-2015, 07:25 PM
Flakman
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
My wind noise actually sounds like it's coming from the windshield. It's a whistle, but the planets have to align just right for it to crop up.