G37 Sedan

Black car, Black headlights

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 04:39 PM
G37Xtreme

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
Painted headlights are on my list...but way down at the bottom.

Unless I secure a secondary vehicle, I wouldn't attempt a mod like this myself, nor could I wait to have them done before installing them back in.

I tentatively have a plan to ****** up some headlights on eBay and either send them off to OnEighty or do them myself. This way, I can just make it an afternoon project swapping them with my current headlights and there would be no downtime.

I'd then have headlights of my own to sell...

This is why it's at the bottom of my list...lots of work/planning/money to pull it off.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:42 PM
jomak123

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jsheets
Nice, i'm actually OTP North as well (Forsyth). Are you on Atlanta G's FB group? I'm no headlight guy, my buddy who works at TRS did all the work, I just watched. =) It'd run about $500 and that's for bulbs, etched lenses (STI-R), tuning of the projector, and painted bezels and the labor for doing it all.

The gloss black looks perfect IMO, blends really well w/ the paint.

It's just part of that ripple reflector pad, my shoddy picture taking skills didn't really help much there.
I'm in Cherokee, didn't know there was a FB page PM me! I really don't want etching, but I am preparing to paint mine Satin black with lens shroud Glass Yellow and then install an angel eye ring on the out side projector lenes and then a switchback LED on teh city lights so that is white and only amber on blinking. Then to add to the complication I an going to add a DRL LED light tube inside the headlight somewhere...either the bottom or top. Plan to use Nite Shades on the reflector and part of the top glass light area.

Now, Satin vs Gloss on the headlight housing is my debate! I really love the Satin look so I think I am going to go with that....I think
Old 02-09-2015, 05:02 PM
jomak123

Originally Posted by blnewt
Thanks for the kind words, here's 3 DIYs that may be of interest~
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...ils-sedan.html
Sent you a PM.

I have dipped my tailights in the GTR style. The only issue I have is the black dip is not glossy and there is big contrast. I was going to use the left over VHT NS to do these. I can create a template on the fly...takes time, but if you have them.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:29 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
Originally Posted by jomak123
Sent you a PM.

I have dipped my tailights in the GTR style. The only issue I have is the black dip is not glossy and there is big contrast. I was going to use the left over VHT NS to do these. I can create a template on the fly...takes time, but if you have them.
You'll definitely want to finish the NiteShades w/ a quality clear coat, then polish to a factory shine, takes it from looking like a backyard job to factory clean.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:16 AM
jomak123

Originally Posted by G37Xtreme
Painted headlights are on my list...but way down at the bottom.

Unless I secure a secondary vehicle, I wouldn't attempt a mod like this myself, nor could I wait to have them done before installing them back in.

I tentatively have a plan to ****** up some headlights on eBay and either send them off to OnEighty or do them myself. This way, I can just make it an afternoon project swapping them with my current headlights and there would be no downtime.

I'd then have headlights of my own to sell...

This is why it's at the bottom of my list...lots of work/planning/money to pull it off.
I am borrowing a car, but I am just going to dive into it.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:19 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
Originally Posted by jomak123
I am borrowing a car, but I am just going to dive into it.
You should be fine if you allow a full weekend for the job.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:28 AM
djdiskino

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Figured I'd chime in here as I am currently undergoing this process.

Plans are:

-Satin Black Housing and Gloss Projector with a lambo orange eye-lid accent
-Custom Iron Man Evil Eyes in 4300K Natural White 5050 LEDS on both Projector and turn signal from Oznium
-Demon eyes LED's in both projector and turn signal (might do RGB for these with a controller)
-Smoked side marker with VHT Niteshades
-STi-R lenses on the way for projectors
-Going to try to modify the turn signal lenses to use my old projector lenses that are being replaced

These are the LED's I plan to use Tiny Prewired Super Bright Surface Mount LEDs - 12V DIY Plug and Play SMT LED

Shot of what a Demon Eye looks like for those that are curious.
104.jpg Photo by finagle69 | Photobucket

Any questions - let me know! I am doing this project on a pair of "broken" headlights from eBay that I purchased. Both just had Projectors that were broken loose inside which I'll Epoxy/JB Weld when I am in there.