G37 Sedan

Adjust driver's door

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 07:31 PM
Flakman
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
Adjust driver's door

The driver side door seems to sit a little low when closing. For instance, if I close the door slowly, I can feel that it hits the latch bar and lifts before latching. All other doors do not do this. I can let those doors go about 12" from close and they close solidly. I think most would not even notice...but it bugs the hell out of me. How do I adjust that?

Last edited by Flakman; 02-04-2015 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 02-04-2015, 09:33 PM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Are you the original owner? On some vehicles like p/u trucks and large SUVs the driver's tend to use the door to help them exit by hanging on it. This causes the door to sag over time.
I've seen people use 2X4s to lever the door back up into position, something I wouldn't do on a G37.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:55 AM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Take it to a trusted body shop and see if it's something that can be adjusted. I assume that either you're not the original owner or if you are that you've had some sort of impact that has altered the way it closes. Either way I doubt that the dealer will help you out financially or try to cover it under warranty.

It could be something as simple as replacing the door latch where it may have been hit and is just slightly bent, or it could be that the body shop that fixed the door (assuming it was in an accident) didn't replace the door hinges to try to save a little money and it doesn't close right anymore. I've had the latter happen to me. I got frustrated enough that I ended up selling the car.

I'd start by checking the latch to make sure it's not bent. Then visually check the hinges and cross reference the door that isn't closing right with the one on the opposite side and see if you can tell a difference. Then make an assessment from there on whether it's something you think you may be able to fix or just take it to a body shop to have it looked at/fixed.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:41 AM
GAWD

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
My old G35x drivers door sagged a little, very easy DIY fix. Open the door, take a hammer and lightly tap the U-shaped door striker UPWARD. Tap from the bottom up. Use a block of wood between the hammer and striker if you'd like. A couple light to medium TAPS should do the trick. Tap a few times, close the door to check alignment and repeat as needed, slightly harder blows as required. 2 minutes and done. You will also notice a change in sound the door makes when closing, it will sound better. Leave the door hinges alone and no need to replace a simply mis-aligned striker.

The striker is the silver U-shaped thing on the B-pillar as shown here:
Old 02-05-2015, 11:22 AM
Flakman
Registered Member

Originally Posted by movinon
Are you the original owner? On some vehicles like p/u trucks and large SUVs the driver's tend to use the door to help them exit by hanging on it. This causes the door to sag over time.
I've seen people use 2X4s to lever the door back up into position, something I wouldn't do on a G37.
No, not the original owner, and this is likely why the door is the way it is.

Originally Posted by '11G37S
I'd start by checking the latch to make sure it's not bent. Then visually check the hinges and cross reference the door that isn't closing right with the one on the opposite side and see if you can tell a difference. Then make an assessment from there on whether it's something you think you may be able to fix or just take it to a body shop to have it looked at/fixed.
Gonna look at things at lunch and see if there is anything visible I can see.

Originally Posted by GAWD
My old G35x drivers door sagged a little, very easy DIY fix. Open the door, take a hammer and lightly tap the U-shaped door striker UPWARD. Tap from the bottom up. Use a block of wood between the hammer and striker if you'd like. A couple light to medium TAPS should do the trick. Tap a few times, close the door to check alignment and repeat as needed, slightly harder blows as required. 2 minutes and done. You will also notice a change in sound the door makes when closing, it will sound better. Leave the door hinges alone and no need to replace a simply mis-aligned striker.
I think I would have to tap downwards since the door either needs to go up or the strike needs to go down for them to meet properly. The only problem I have with that is that the door will then line up on the low side which is not what I prefer. I'd rather the door stay lined up properly. When the door meets the strike it moves up and is in place correctly. So it is the door that seems to require the adjustment.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:59 AM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I would take it to body shop and ask them how much they would charge you to tweak the door so it closes properly. My guess would be they would be they would lever the door up just a tad until it is back to normal.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:21 PM
Flakman
Registered Member

Originally Posted by movinon
I would take it to body shop and ask them how much they would charge you to tweak the door so it closes properly. My guess would be they would be they would lever the door up just a tad until it is back to normal.
Yeah, I've looked at correcting sag and it looks like the easiest way to get at the bolts is by removing the fender. It is still minor enough that I'll likely just grease the latch. The amount it is off is minimal, it's more of an annoyance than a problem at the moment.

Thanks for the help.