Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Cup holder solutions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 03:44 PM
needfd
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cup holder solutions?

One thing that has been annoying me on our G35/37 is that I cannot put 2 wide stanced cups in line without them interfering with each other. Has anyone thought of a solution for this?

I've explored some ideas but I really can't think of anything

AC vent cup holder doesn't really work because the vents are setup vertically, not to mention the dashboard curves right around the same area.

I was looking for a dual cup holder to place on the rear "hump" between the seats floor but I can't find anything either.

The rear seat's cup holder is out of the question because I have a baby seat..

Does anyone have any ideas?

Here's the annoyance Google Image Result for http://blogs.cars.com/.a/6a00d83451b3c669e2017744a3bdc1970d-800wi
Old 02-04-2015, 05:08 PM
Flakman
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
I hear you needfd. The cupholders are a bit small at that unless you only have one to hold. Although, if they were to widen something, I'd rather gave a bit more clearance on the wide end of the side to side seat adjustments, but I do empathize with you on this.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:21 PM
gibby2717

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
needfd, you may want to look at aftermarket cup holders for the late model Corvettes...there are a bunch of options, for them....maybe one will fit your need. I used to have a 2008 Corvette, and there are tons of aftermarket stuff out there...google C5Corvettecupholder.....good luck!
The following users liked this post:
Tjoe (04-22-2019)
Old 02-04-2015, 05:30 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
Bingo!
Attached Thumbnails Cup holder solutions?-shoe-cup-holder.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by AroundTheG37:
Joel Firey (10-03-2020), mummy2 (06-06-2024), Tjoe (04-22-2019)
Old 02-04-2015, 05:56 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 560 Likes on 390 Posts
They look like they fit fine to me in the picture you attached. If cupholder room was a primary consideration, I'd say you picked the wrong car - possibly should have considered an american car that has 20 cupholders. Cupholders everywhere in those cars.

On another interesting note, is that red stictiching on those tan seats? I've never seen that before. Odd.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:11 PM
OhGwhiz

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Totally agree with the OP on this one. I didn't buy the car based on cupholder specs but it would be nice to be able to make a Sunday morning coffee run for my wife without planning the return trip based on the angles of the cups. Overall if this is my biggest problem with the car its still one heck of a car.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:19 PM
GeezerB
Registered Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Put the passenger in the rear freeing up one spot. Where do you put your hand?
Old 02-04-2015, 07:44 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by OhGwhiz
it would be nice to be able to make a Sunday morning coffee run for my wife without planning the return trip based on the angles of the cups

Get a Keurig

I bring a thermos of coffee to work every morning, and on occasion a bottle of water, but that's it, so I never noticed the cup holders suck
Old 02-04-2015, 10:52 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 227 Posts
The only time I notice the cupholder issue is when I take my daughter to Starbucks and we get a couple of Grandes. There simply isn't enough space between the two cup holders for two drinks, so one of us always has to hold the drink, which is fine. If they had another inch between them, they'd work fine.

Long narrow thermos type cups seem to work fine, but cups that get gradually wider at the top simply don't fit. I'm not sure how to fix this with an aftermarket product. The Vette cupholders I saw on the web set to the side of the console and it looks like your leg would hit those....the ones that hang on the front of the dash scare me as well.

The good news is that this discourages people from drinking in your car, which is a good thing long term
Old 02-04-2015, 10:58 PM
Arrogant

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Yes the cupholders suck with two coffees in them. It will usually work if you remove the sleeves on the coffees, butya pretty dumb you wouldn't make at least two coffees from Starbucks fit perfectly.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:44 AM
Vizard_87
Premier Member

Received 255 Likes on 201 Posts
Yeah the cupholders suck. If I have one I always feel like its going to tip over. I only used water bottles though so I'm good.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:57 AM
G37Xtreme

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryne
If cupholder room was a primary consideration, I'd say you picked the wrong car -
This is a cop out IMHO. It's like saying:

"If you didn't want a car with picky HID ballasts, you picked the wrong car"
"If you didn't want a car with that needs a transmission flash update, you picked the wrong car"
"If you didn't want a car with soft paint, you picked the wrong car"

It's not unreasonable to want things that aren't included by the manufacturer. This is why many of us modify our cars. The OP is looking to modify his car to have better cup holders.

I'll say this in defense of Infiniti. This car was basically designed in 2006-2007-ish, and hasn't received an overhaul since then. Back in 2007, fast food hadn't yet redefined their drink sizes. Small, Medium, and Large back then were smaller than they are today.

My 2012 Maxima was designed in 2008-2009, and it's weird to see how many other things they incorporated in those 2 years of development. The Maxima has the following features missing on my G37:

Tire Pressure readings for each tire
Heated steering wheel
Dimming driver's side mirror
Side mirrors that tilt downward when in reverse
It also had 1 large drink holder and 1 normal sized drink holder

One may think that these features would trickle upwards to the G37, but I don't think that's how it works. The wiring harness and basic layout of the electronics would need updating, and that's just too much work I guess for incremental changes to the car.
The following users liked this post:
Tjoe (04-22-2019)
Old 02-05-2015, 12:40 PM
needfd
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for everybody's responses on this..

As G37Xtreme mentioned:
I'm looking for a solution since no car is perfect. Sure, I could have kept my Mercedes which fit these perfectly fine. Sure, I could get a pick up truck and make the whole bed into a cup holder land. No matter which car we choose, there will always be flaws.

I'm just surprised that a luxury brand has compact sized storage, cup holders, and interior room.

I chose the G because of it's power, performance, handling and its technology.

gibby2717,
thanks for your input, I'll check out the C5 option

I carry drinks for my family all the time so not having a drink in the car is not an option. The picture is exactly what happens when I put the cups side by side

The ideas I have been thinking is if one of the cupholders are elevated, they may have enough clearance, since the top portion is the widest,
another option is to do something like the BMW ones like these http://www.drivearabia.com/news/wp-c...-series-6b.jpg but it doesn't look like it is planted.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:46 AM
Limmerbr

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When I had my Saab 9-3 there was an add on to the side of the console next to the front passenger foot well or just above it.

I bought a kit where you screw in a bracket and a double cup holder would slide on the bracket.

Not sure how you feel about drilling into an Infiniti.

I was fine drilling into my car at the time, it was a Saab.

Anything quirky made it even more quirky lol.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:02 AM
GAWD

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
I've owned a few Mustangs with even less of cupholders, so can recommend a Plug-N-Chug solution. The 68-69 Mustang model looks like it might straddle the Infiniti console:

I was surprised to see a Nissan 350Z solution as well:

Try CupHoldersPlus:
Center Console, Floor Console, Bench Seat Console | CupHoldersPlus.com

Quick Reply: Cup holder solutions?