G37 Sedan

Door lock freezing

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 01:15 PM
flipmode007
Premier Member

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts
I had the same problem last year and the dealer told me to bring it to an under garage and leave there for 2h but this year I had no problem so far.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:35 PM
VQ-Vic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Last year I had that happen. anything under -10 degrees the driver door would refuse entry haha.
I had warranty left and was able lucky to get it replaced.

This year with Ontario weathers (-30)
couple times the door froze again, though not as often ever since the lock was replaced.

For my G, I noticed if its a really cold day and I yank on the handle normally, it would not open, but if I slowly and lightly pull on the handle, it would "just" open.
Something to try : P
Old 02-21-2015, 04:16 PM
sysadlight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jros08
i had the same issue earlier in the winter (december maybe). we had a day or two of 40 degree rain followed by a below zero spell.

my door unlocked and opened so i could get in the car, but refused to latch and lock once i was in. this meant the door was just hanging there. i didn't feel like driving with one hand keeping the door shut, so i pressed the lock/unlock button a few times on my fob, door handle, and the inside of the door. the inside door switch got it to lock (which meant my door shut), but now i couldn't get it to unlock.

i called the dealer from our office parking lot, and the service guy advised me to find a warm garage because some of that rain probably froze in/around the lock. i have a 30 minute commute, so by the time i got home my car was fully warm and the issue was gone. i haven't seen it since.

tl;dr - let the car warm up in a garage (preferred) or by driving it around.

I had the EXACT same issue as you above. This usually happens after a wash, then freeze. Mine is not garaged, washed it when temps got above 32, a day or two later, same thing. Unlocked, got in, wouldn't latch or stay closed. Hit unlock button a couple times, and was then able to close fine. Couldn't open it for the next 20-30 min driving around. Interior and exterior handle just pull freely.

I'll suffer with it in the deep-freeze northeast here so that I can wash it from time to time, as the cold seems to not allow many wash days. Usually happens only the one time after a wash though.