G37 Sedan

Spun out in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 08:14 AM
T_Buckets_223

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spun out in the snow

The worst has happened! The other morning I was driving home, came around a curve and lost control in the snow. My car spun out and hit a parked car with someone in it. No one got hurt but mannnnnn my car is baddddd. I just got this car 3 months ago and this is my first accident ever, I am CRUSHED! I am hoping and praying it is not totaled and she'll be fixed back to normal. I am suppose to be bringing it to a shop plus have my adjuster (I have insurance) look at it today. Someone be frank with me, will this be back to normal?? Is it even repairable? How much money am I looking at?

Attached Thumbnails Spun out in the snow-20150125_133916.jpg   Spun out in the snow-img_20150124_062134_946.jpg  
Old 01-26-2015, 08:22 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Can't see for sure, but it looks like you hit the back fender, and not the rear wheel... which is certainly the lesser of two situations. Anything is repairable, and to have totaled a 2010 would mean $15K+ of damage, or thereabouts. There sure doesn't look like that much damage here. Bumper, bumper skin, fender, tail-light, trunk (?)... 4-5K, maybe? IDK, someone in that industry might chime in, but my advice is to not be thinking "totaled".

The real pain will come when your insurance goes up because of the damage caused to the other car.

Another way to look at this, it's a $4000 opportunity to remove that Kelly Infiniti decal. And maybe this is a lesson learned, if you were running AS tires. Without snows, that AWD isn't going to help you stop, just start.

You have my sympathies, man. It hurts. Good luck.

Last edited by Rochester; 01-26-2015 at 08:31 AM.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:26 AM
bassy
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Ouch!!! That's gotta suck. You can get that fixed, no problem. But it also depends on which body shop you go to, how good the body shop is, etc. I think it's gonna cost at least $4K to fix that (conservative figure). I wouldn't be surprised if it's gonna end up costing more (hopefully no more than $5K).

Accidents do happen, but try to be careful at all times. Try to slow down, too, when it's slippery outside. We're gonna get walloped with another few feet of snow in the next day or two, so be extra careful.

Good luck with the repair and everything.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:35 AM
T_Buckets_223

Originally Posted by Rochester
Can't see for sure, but it looks like you hit the back fender, and not the rear wheel... which is certainly the lesser of two situations. Anything is repairable, and to have totaled a 2010 would mean $15K+ of damage, or thereabouts. There sure doesn't look like that much damage here. Bumper, bumper skin, fender, tail-light, trunk (?)... 3-4K, maybe? IDK, someone closer to that industry might chime in, but my advice is to not be thinking "totaled".

The real pain will come when your insurance goes up because of the damage caused to the other car.

Another way to look at this, it's a $3000 opportunity to remove that Kelly Infiniti decal.

You have my sympathies, man. It hurts. Good luck. And buy some snow tires... that AWD isn't going to help you make turns if you're running AS tires.
Thanks brother I appreciate the input. The truck doesn't appear to be damaged with any dents or anything and the camera still works BUT it won't open, from the way the other parts got pushed in. Tsk Tsk. That's what grinds my gears the most out of all the damage, the corner panel damage too. I think the bumper and tail light will be fairly "simple".
Old 01-26-2015, 08:45 AM
T_Buckets_223

Originally Posted by bassy
Ouch!!! That's gotta suck. You can get that fixed, no problem. But it also depends on which body shop you go to, how good the body shop is, etc. I think it's gonna cost at least $4K to fix that (conservative figure). I wouldn't be surprised if it's gonna end up costing more (hopefully no more than $5K).

Accidents do happen, but try to be careful at all times. Try to slow down, too, when it's slippery outside. We're gonna get walloped with another few feet of snow in the next day or two, so be extra careful.

Good luck with the repair and everything.
Thanks man. I know a lot of people who have gone to the shop that I'm going to, so hoping they work they're magic. I cannot wait for that moment I pick it up all repaired like it never happened so I can try putting this all behind me. That seems so far from now though.

It sucks because I was below the speed limit, I just didn't realize how bad the roads actually were because the storm had just started shortly before it happened. That snow got down and stuck QUICK. Lesson learned - 5 mph around turns in the snow for now on.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:47 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Originally Posted by T_Buckets_223
Thanks brother I appreciate the input.
No problem. It reads like you're freaked out and looking for a way to come down. Very normal stuff. Everyone here is into their cars as a disproportionately impassioned hobby. However, at the end of the day, it's just another thing... not a person, not you.

Here's an idea: while this is all going on, force yourself to get into something time-consuming and not at all related to your car. Paint a few rooms in your house, dig into a series of really good books, start binge-watching something on Netflix, plan out a whirlwind tour of restaurants you've never been to, with friends you haven't seen in a while. Ask them to drive, LOL.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rochester:
twin_snails (01-26-2015), T_Buckets_223 (01-26-2015)
Old 01-26-2015, 08:47 AM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
or just switch to snow tires instead of crappy all seasons
Old 01-26-2015, 09:00 AM
T_Buckets_223

Originally Posted by Rochester
No problem. It reads like you're freaked out and looking for a way to come down. Very normal stuff. Everyone here is into their cars as a disproportionately impassioned hobby. However, at the end of the day, it's just another thing... not a person, not you.

Here's an idea: while this is all going on, force yourself to get into something time-consuming and not at all related to your car. Paint a few rooms in your house, dig into a series of really good books, start binge-watching something on Netflix, plan out a whirlwind tour of restaurants you've never been to, with friends you haven't seen in a while. Ask them to drive, LOL.
Ya very freaked out. Good ideas, I'll need to do one or the other.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:19 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by Presto
or just switch to snow tires instead of crappy all seasons

Not just that but remember our car's (X) drive as RWD till the rears slip, So just be careful. The X doesn't men full time AWD and even if it did still doesn't mean you cant spin out. Sorry to hear man. Don't look to bad and long as the rear frame is still strait.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:55 AM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
John you're looking at more like $7-8k for all of that - repaired. Most body shops source OEM parts and they come at a premium.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:00 AM
smilinsteve
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ANMVQ
Not just that but remember our car's (X) drive as RWD till the rears slip, So just be careful. The X doesn't men full time AWD and even if it did still doesn't mean you cant spin out. Sorry to hear man. Don't look to bad and long as the rear frame is still strait.
Right. My thinking is that it's best to brake before the curve while going straight, then give it a little gas through the curve. The computer will monitor slip on all 4 wheels and adjust to keep you straight and pull you through the curve.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:30 AM
Serpens

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry to hear about that OP. Glad you're OK.

Originally Posted by smilinsteve
Right. My thinking is that it's best to brake before the curve while going straight, then give it a little gas through the curve. The computer will monitor slip on all 4 wheels and adjust to keep you straight and pull you through the curve.
Uh. It would be much better for you to slow down, turn carefully, then get back on the gas slowly when the turn is completed. Also it doesn't hurt to engage snow mode...when in the snow.

Your method is practically begging for the rear end to start coming around on you.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:35 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by smilinsteve

Yea :/ That I wouldn't do either, I honestly drive it as if was a RWD car when it snows ( When turning) by all means I don't go hard going strait either.
BTW the Snow mode shuts off at 18 MPH , so it would go back to RWD, The SNOW mode is so you don't get stuck, IT just activates the Tcase so a 4 wheels will turn at the same time, I've only use it like once, I just turn TCS OFF and work my way out slowing pressing the gas , once the rears slip it kick power to the fronts and you pull out.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:36 AM
T_Buckets_223

Originally Posted by Serpens
Sorry to hear about that OP. Glad you're OK.

Uh. It would be much better for you to slow down, turn carefully, then get back on the gas slowly when the turn is completed. Also it doesn't hurt to engage snow mode...when in the snow.

Your method is practically begging for the rear end to start coming around on you.
Just to mention, I did have the snow mode on. But like I said I shouldve been doing 5 around that curve. That is easy to say now but at the time the road didn't seem THAT bad.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:41 AM
Serpens

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by T_Buckets_223
Just to mention, I did have the snow mode on. But like I said I shouldve been doing 5 around that curve. That is easy to say now but at the time the road didn't seem THAT bad.
Yeah, hindsight is 20/20. I remember when I hit a curb and broke a control arm in my old BMW 5-series after entering a seemingly safe corner in the snow too quickly. Don't beat yourself up over it too much (easy to say, harder to do I know).

Quick Reply: Spun out in the snow