G37 Sedan

Vinyl Wraps from ebay?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 12:51 PM
brianisonfiree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vinyl Wraps from ebay?

Does anyone have any experience or input with black gloss vinyl wraps ordered from ebay? Wraps from trusted websites cost around $70 + shipping for roof wraps whereas i can get the same size wrap off ebay for like $30 and free shipping.
I was wanting to wrap my roof, along with a light tint on my headlights and taillights.
Also, is it really difficult to wrap a roof and lights by yourself? I have no experience in this but have seen a plethora of videos on youtube. It definetly seems like something that looks easy but is actually hard.
Any input would be great for first timers!
THanks
Old 01-14-2015, 01:16 PM
G37Xtreme

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Having never wrapped anything, my opinion is uninformed...

I would think a large single item like a roof or hood would be harder than a smaller item. Getting out all the air and making a perfect large area look good seems like more work than something smaller.

Maybe buy the cheapest you can find and try it. If you're not happy, at least you've lost your "virginity" and you can try again with some nicer vinyl.

Again, please refer to my first sentence.

Last edited by G37Xtreme; 01-14-2015 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:57 PM
brianisonfiree

thats what i was thinking. I can have in professionally done for about ~200$.
So if i buy it for ~30$, i can mess up and redo it over multiple, multiple times without exceeding the cost of having it professionally done.
My question is better yet the quality of vinyl wraps. Is there such thing as a bad quality vinyl wrap? To me it all looks the same, functions the same, just different pricing. But then again, I know nothing really.
I know i should never trust ebay with car parts, but I feel like wraps might be an exception.
Any more input?
Old 01-14-2015, 02:39 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by brianisonfiree
thats what i was thinking. I can have in professionally done for about ~200$.
So if i buy it for ~30$, i can mess up and redo it over multiple, multiple times without exceeding the cost of having it professionally done.
My question is better yet the quality of vinyl wraps. Is there such thing as a bad quality vinyl wrap? To me it all looks the same, functions the same, just different pricing. But then again, I know nothing really.
I know i should never trust ebay with car parts, but I feel like wraps might be an exception.
Any more input?
Out of time right now but will get back to you tonight, the roof is something you can do, it's the shark fin that can be tough.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:06 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
The newer name brand wrap vinyl from 3m & Avery has air release technology so trapped air bubbles aren't too much of a concern. I wouldn't get a no-name vinyl product though, the quality won't be worth any savings you might see.
Here's a good video
I'd go w/ painting the headlights/taillights, much better look IMO, here's my DIY for the taillights and I do sell the vinyl for that to get perfect placement
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...ils-sedan.html
The headlight DIY is in the DIY folder on site.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:19 AM
e3phung

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I have vinyl wrapped a couple of parts before and it is a PITA....You have to ask yourself how patient and skilled you are? I am clumsy and impatient but managed to pull it off. Watch a bunch of videos with different techniques.

If it was me, I would pay a company to wrap a big part such as the roof, so that way if something would to happen (bubbling,peeling,etc) they would fix it.

Here is my old car, I tinted the fog lights, wrapped the hood vents and hood. Had a buddy, who is a pro, do the front lip.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-21-2015, 08:10 PM
rollaspeed1

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I've wrapped multiple cars... do yourself a favor, buy 3M or Arlon. It'll install easier, will last longer, and wont lift, bubble, or look like sh*t.
The following users liked this post:
e3phung (01-23-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 10:02 PM
tdoug

After trying to tint windows myself previous cars....i would imagine the vinyl is similar....do yourself a favor and just have a pro do it. By the time you screw it up and try it over and over it will cost the same. You will think out is perfect then notice one small improf. and it will drive you nuts.
Unless you have talent. I had a friend do an old car....he put tint on in a dark parking lot with a street light over it, a spray bottle, his credit card and an exActo. Came out perfect but then again he worked at a tint place.