G37 Sedan

Ghost in the Machine

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 11:12 PM
MalbecG37S

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Ghost in the Machine

So...mid-last week, upon cold startup (sitting in parking lot at work all day - temps in 20's or 30's if I remember right) - the engine was running rough. I could hear audible miss'. On the drive - even after full warm-up - I noticed 2 things: 1) it felt down on power needing downshifts for 'normal' acceleration. 2) strange rpm bounce. Low-speed coasting, I would catch the tach bounce off of @500rpm (or there-about) and return to 'normal'. This would occur when doing about 30-40mph and I would take my foot off of the accelerator.

Only thing I did over the weekend was fill-up the tank. In addition - under the guise that maybe I had some bad gas (no beano jokes please!) - I added a bottle of Gumout 'complete fuel system cleaner'. I normally do not use those things, but figured what the heck.

OK - so after 2 days of driving it - the situation seems to be completely gone. I DID hear a miss on cold start this evening. But engine response has returned to normal - and the strange rpm drop upon 'coasting' has vanished. Last week that was easily repeatable - tonight...not at all.

So my question is - What the heck? Any thoughts?

Note - no codes where thrown - no CEL - no nuttin!
Old 01-13-2015, 11:30 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Did you go to a small mom-n-pop gas station that doesn't turnover a lot of gas, could have been gas that has been around awhile or moisture in the tank.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:45 PM
MalbecG37S

Originally Posted by blnewt
Did you go to a small mom-n-pop gas station that doesn't turnover a lot of gas, could have been gas that has been around awhile or moisture in the tank.
Generally - no. I generally fill-up at the local QT, Sams, or Costco. Turnover is not a problem. Having said that - I was thinking the same - hence the Gumout.

The RPM drop/bounce was a more curious side-effect of whatever the issue was - more-so than anything else.

Time will tell if it goes away and stays away.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:14 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Could have been fuel related. Also, no light doesn't necessarily mean no code. Check with a code reader for stored or pending codes to be certain.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:31 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
This happened to me once- car was running rough for about 10 mins. I stopped and reset the ECU...Never repeated again in 3 years... Still don't know what happened. I had just "topped off" at a gas station.
The following users liked this post:
MalbecG37S (01-14-2015)
Old 01-16-2015, 08:02 PM
2011G37JOHNBEST

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
sure you didnt pop 87 instead 91??
Old 01-16-2015, 08:27 PM
MalbecG37S

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Could have been fuel related. Also, no light doesn't necessarily mean no code. Check with a code reader for stored or pending codes to be certain.
Yup - I should have specified - checked for codes w/OBD reader & Torque.

Hasn't repeated itself yet...
Old 01-16-2015, 08:29 PM
MalbecG37S

Originally Posted by 2011G37JOHNBEST
sure you didnt pop 87 instead 91??
Actually use 93. But...even if it was 87, I would never expect that situation...
Old 01-25-2015, 06:59 PM
Silver37
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MalbecG37S
So...mid-last week, upon cold startup (sitting in parking lot at work all day - temps in 20's or 30's if I remember right) - the engine was running rough. I could hear audible miss'. On the drive - even after full warm-up - I noticed 2 things: 1) it felt down on power needing downshifts for 'normal' acceleration. 2) strange rpm bounce. Low-speed coasting, I would catch the tach bounce off of @500rpm (or there-about) and return to 'normal'. This would occur when doing about 30-40mph and I would take my foot off of the accelerator.

Only thing I did over the weekend was fill-up the tank. In addition - under the guise that maybe I had some bad gas (no beano jokes please!) - I added a bottle of Gumout 'complete fuel system cleaner'. I normally do not use those things, but figured what the heck.

OK - so after 2 days of driving it - the situation seems to be completely gone. I DID hear a miss on cold start this evening. But engine response has returned to normal - and the strange rpm drop upon 'coasting' has vanished. Last week that was easily repeatable - tonight...not at all.

So my question is - What the heck? Any thoughts?

Note - no codes where thrown - no CEL - no nuttin!
I'm experiencing this same issue. The car is rough and loud in cold weather, but the problem will clear up after driving 5 to 6 miles. The colder the rougher and louder. Definitely seems to be directly related to cold weather. The loud and rough is way more than the normal loudness of this car. Sometimes I get a smell of burning plastic right before things start to smooth out. The smell is not noticeable under the hood. Initially thought it was an exhaust problem, but the problem seems to be something that affects exhaust harmonics vs. a leak. Thought it cold be bad gas, but I use nothing but top tier brands and the issue has remained for several tankfuls. Any thoughts?
Old 01-25-2015, 08:47 PM
MalbecG37S

Originally Posted by Silver37
I'm experiencing this same issue. The car is rough and loud in cold weather, but the problem will clear up after driving 5 to 6 miles. The colder the rougher and louder. Definitely seems to be directly related to cold weather. The loud and rough is way more than the normal loudness of this car. Sometimes I get a smell of burning plastic right before things start to smooth out. The smell is not noticeable under the hood. Initially thought it was an exhaust problem, but the problem seems to be something that affects exhaust harmonics vs. a leak. Thought it cold be bad gas, but I use nothing but top tier brands and the issue has remained for several tankfuls. Any thoughts?
Using top tier gas does not mean you couldn't get a bad tankful...

I can't explain the smell of burning plastic - I can say that I smelled a significant amount of unburned gas when my situation persisted.

Could always try a fuel system cleaner (Gumout), etc - see if they have any effect.

Let us know - thanks

Last edited by MalbecG37S; 01-25-2015 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:35 PM
Silver37
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MalbecG37S
Using top tier gas does not mean you couldn't get a bad tankful...

I can't explain the smell of burning plastic - I can say that I smelled a significant amount of unburned gas when my situation persisted.

Could always try a fuel system cleaner (Gumout), etc - see if they have any effect.

Let us know - thanks
Thanks. I'm hoping that if it's gas it will sort itself out. I may reset the ECU just to see if it will help. Will post an update when I know more.