G37 Sedan

More #&*%^ Broken Handles!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 09:21 AM
TommyBluez

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More #&*%^ Broken Handles!!

Hey Everyone,

Wondering if anyone else here has had major issues with door handle breakage in cold climates?

I have a 2009... in January 2012, pulled on the Driver door and heard a sickening crunch... the handle broke and would not open the door from inside or out. At the time, I was literally 2-3k out of warranty. After some arguing, the dealer (Autoplace Infiniti, Amherst, NY,) very reluctantly covered the repair.

Fast forward to just under a year later, Dec of 2012, same exact thing happens w/ the passenger door. I tried to be proactive and start a case with Infiniti Consumer Affairs... long story short, they did not cover it and the dealer ended up charging me almost 25% more than what was quoted the first repair go around.

Move forward to n ow, January 2014, my driver door just broke this morning. AND my rear passenger door. I am absolutely livid. I'm not sure what to do at this point, but I can't afford to shell out another 800-1000 dollars on these stupid handles/repairs.

Anyone have any suggestions for re-course/getting them to pay?

Note - that after I had to have the second one fixed I never wash my car if it's under 36° out -- I have simply been paranoid this sh*t would break again

I'm at a loss. I love my Infiniti, but 4 handles on a 2009 seems ludicrous for a Luxury Marque.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:36 AM
G37Xtreme

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
I know that feeling VERY well. In my 2007 Hyundai Sonata, this happened to two of my doors.

The first was when my son pulled on the handle relatively hard while the doors were locked. I gave him a stern look and told him to wait for me to unlock the door first. I was able to open it from the inside though, and decided to live with this issue for several months as it was just 1 extra step.

Then, the second handle broke...I think it was another rear door, or maybe the passenger door...can't recall.

At this point, I sourced 2 handles from one of those online used part search engines...and in a couple of hours, I had replace both of them with the proper color.

When did the industry move to the pull handle doors? I seem to recall a time where almost all door handles would pivot upward to open the door...and then everyone seemed to move to what we have today.

I used to yank on those handles with enough force to both unlatch it and open the door with a single pull. I don't yank on them like I used to though, having been through what I've been through.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:12 AM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
Where do you live - the north pole?
Old 01-05-2015, 10:26 AM
Dj1ofDet
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by connoisseurr
Lol! As mentioned earlier, I'm just plain gentle with door pulls. On my college car, the handle didn't break, but the whole door pull separated from the panel. E-Z - P-Z when you get them replaced!
Old 01-05-2015, 12:39 PM
GAWD

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
No offense, but the warranty period is black & white. You are either covered or your not. Spending (or the dealer charging) $800 to $1000 for the repair is ridiculous, that part I'll agree with.

Good used handles in a variety of colors are available on ebay all day for $50. Changing them is easier than bidding. Youtube shows how quick the R&R is. For your drivers side, just reuse your existing lock tumbler.

Looking forward, might want to add some kind of silicone dressing to the door rubber. Melting snow & ice could be freezing the gasket to the body and the added pressure needed to open the door is taken out on the handle.
The following 2 users liked this post by GAWD:
Dj1ofDet (01-05-2015), Kuro (01-11-2015)
Old 01-05-2015, 06:28 PM
Dj1ofDet
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
That vid is a money saver!
Old 01-05-2015, 08:02 PM
Yazovets

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by connoisseurr
Actually that exact problem happened to my 2009 car last winter on a cold night. I've heard it's a common issue. I'm extra cautious with the door handles this winter.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:55 PM
MADMAX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this same exact thing happened to me on both my drivers side front doors in my 2011. Climbed in through the back seat, drove the car, was getting ready to hop out the back and decided to try my front doors one last time after a 20 minute drive, both of them worked again.

had the same problems as you, the awful crunching, couldnt get out of the car, thought I was f'ed.

Last edited by MADMAX; 01-06-2015 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:55 PM
inspector94
Premier Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I haven't had anything happen to my car and im where your at . Autoplace infiniti treats me well with warranty... hope i don't jinx myself... D:
Old 01-06-2015, 10:14 PM
botlfed98
Registered Member

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
had no idea that the handles can break that easily. Defintely gonna give my 8 year old a lesson about not pulling on the handles before i unlock the car
Old 01-07-2015, 07:11 PM
Adam West
Registered Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
This happend to me last winter as well. I knew as soon as I pulled on the outside drivers door handle that something was frozen, but instead of trying to get in the passenger side and thaw out the door with some heat, I pulled on the handle hard. Yea, big mistake. After that the handle didn't operate the internal unlocking mechanism of the door. Took it into the dealer and they said it's pretty common with the Infinitis during the winter that the rod/cable will pop off the handle and stop working, which is what happened to me. Luckily nothing broke.