G37 Sedan

G37 Sideview Camera - was this a factory option?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 05:36 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
G37 Sideview Camera - was this a factory option?

After doing some poking around, I found out how to access the diagnostic portion of the factory nav unit on our G37 sedans (I'm sure the same goes for the coupes). There is a factory option for Rear + Sideview camera. After all the research I've done, I have yet to see this as an option on the G37. I have however seen this in the FX and have heard rumors it exists on the M platform but cannot confirm that.

Has anyone see or heard of this? I was able to snap a picture of the camera diagnostic screen. I'm going to do some more poking around here and see if something like this exists in Japan, or if it is possible to retrofit something from the FX over to the G37 platform. Would be a cool OEM+ feature to have.

Old 12-23-2014, 05:52 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,322 Likes on 1,073 Posts
The side view camera, as well as a front wide-angle camera, were/are only available on the JDM cars- sedans and coupes. Our USDM G's only have the rear camera while the other platforms are just now starting to integrate these features. I'm in the process of adding these to my coupe as 99% of the parts are interchangeable.

I can not speak as to if the new Q's will have them or not.
Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
socketz67 (09-22-2023)
Old 12-23-2014, 05:55 PM
HEUGE
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The original 2003 Fairlady Z in Japan had front-nose mounted left/right view cameras, so it makes sense that these options might exist in the Skylines.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:17 PM
eljoker

Received 192 Likes on 125 Posts
The Qs have the option of the Around View Camera, thats the 360 with the cameras in the grille, mirrors and rear.

Not 100% but the JDMs might have a side view camera that is used for parallel park and or blind spot like they new Accord do here in the states.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:18 PM
WillCo1
Registered Member

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts
I wish the G had them. Would make parking next to curbs worry free.

I can usually get within a few inches, but I have misjudged on a few occasions.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:21 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
As stated, that's a JDM option. If you want to go OEM+ could be done at a cost. Kirk and I were looking at piwer folding mirrors starting at $800, with camera was more.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:38 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

So what's also a coincidence is that the FX looks as if it uses the same navigation system that's in the G. I'm just wondering if I could do some surgery on the mirrors and port a camera over.

My goal is to find a 2010 FX for sale locally and check it out.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:43 AM
GAWD

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
Infiniti FX with side mirror camera. Also notice puddle lamp further inboard.

Note multi function screen buttons in FX, upper left corner "camera" button

Old 12-24-2014, 09:04 AM
eljoker

Received 192 Likes on 125 Posts
^^^^^
Thats Around View, Im wondering if the same screen/settings exsits in the FX. How do I access that screen? I have an FX sitting 20 Feet away from me. Its Xmas Eve, and I'm here killing time
Attached Thumbnails G37 Sideview Camera - was this a factory option?-imag0095.jpg  
Old 12-24-2014, 10:29 AM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Originally Posted by GAWD
Infiniti FX with side mirror camera. Also notice puddle lamp further inboard.

Note multi function screen buttons in FX, upper left corner "camera" button

I've reviewed all aspects of what the FX offers in terms of convenience features and I love the cool puddle light feature. When I get a dry day in Northern Virginia, I'm going to pull a mirror off and see what kind of wiring exists in the car, as well as pull the entire nav unit out and see what kind of connections exists on the back of that unit. I'd like to see what I'm working with before tackling anything in this project.

After discussing with Chris (RexHavoc) last night, we have a solid plan in place to take a look at getting power fold mirrors for the G sedan and I also want to initiate that when I get some dry time and it's not pouring down rain all day

The puddle lamp is an easy peasy hookup - just tap into the interior light power wires. Usually when the door opens, most have their interior lights set to turn on. Also, when you unlock the car, the interior lights are on until you are either in the car or the lights dim off. Would be a cool little feature to have. Sure doesn't beat the illuminated door handles though.

Originally Posted by eljoker
^^^^^
Thats Around View, Im wondering if the same screen/settings exsits in the FX. How do I access that screen? I have an FX sitting 20 Feet away from me. Its Xmas Eve, and I'm here killing time
I don't think could use a new FX. It would have to be somewhere between a 2009 and 2013. I planned on finding one locally and seeing if I could take a look at a few connections within.

I'm sure all-in-all, the sideview camera portion would be a mess to deal with on the G, but c'mon, how awesome would it be to have a cool feature like that.

After seeing the camera button which I didn't notice last night, I'm not so sure it would work properly, however it very well could work by at least letting one see through the cameras.
The following users liked this post:
twin_snails (12-25-2014)
Old 12-24-2014, 12:05 PM
VQ-Vic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
One thing to note, the side view camera for JDM G37. Is on the left side mirror. Which would be RHD passenger side.
But that would mean its on the driver side for us LHD. (Which I found not as useful, so I didn't order it. its 60,000yen Left side camera mirror)
I wouldn't be surprised if it was pretty much plug and play.
But maybe missing the connection from the Nav control unit to the door.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:51 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Originally Posted by VQ-Vic
One thing to note, the side view camera for JDM G37. Is on the left side mirror. Which would be RHD passenger side.
But that would mean its on the driver side for us LHD. (Which I found not as useful, so I didn't order it. its 60,000yen Left side camera mirror)
I wouldn't be surprised if it was pretty much plug and play.
But maybe missing the connection from the Nav control unit to the door.
I looked into that portion and determined that it was not worth the investment, however looking into seeing if the FX 35/50 mirror could be swapped onto the G sedan.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:25 PM
p0on
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I've always wondered about that option in the system settings.

Has anyone taken this any further?
Old 11-12-2017, 08:57 AM
MattsG37xS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would love to revive this and find out what yall found....
Old 11-12-2017, 02:10 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
My mothers 2011 EX has 360* cameras. The setting exists in the system for cars that come with this option.

Quick Reply: G37 Sideview Camera - was this a factory option?