Originally Posted by G37Xtreme

The Infiniti is rwd by nature.
The Acura is fwd by nature.
nuff said
Old 12-19-2014, 12:37 PM
BSG1

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Did we really need another G37 vs TL thread when we already have an active discussion here: https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...-acura-tl.html

If I absolutely, positively, had to have AWD, I'd get the TL SH-AWD if only because of the available 6MT.

I also suspect the TL is going to handle better....

G35xS .84g
http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...niti-g35xs.pdf

TL SH-AWD .92g, and .88g

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...ns-chassis.pdf

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...test-sheet.pdf

Motor Trend .90g vs .85; 26.1 @ .78 vs 26.8 @.66; virtually identical 0-60, 5.3 and 5.4 seconds....virtually identical quarter mile times. I'm not seeing the G37x having any real advantage over the SH-AWD

2009 Infiniti G37x S Sedan - First Test - Motor Trend Page 2

2012 Acura TL SH-AWD First Test - Motor Trend Page 3
^^This.

Get the Acura if you need AWD and a 6MT in one, since you can't get both with Infiniti. The AWD system is also better with the Acura. But the Infiniti is a more enthusiast car and has better feedback from the road. If you are fine with an automatic, I'd suggest the Infiniti. I currently have an SH-AWD and previously had a G35S. Love both of them for different reasons. The automatic SH-AWD is much slower.

Oh, and if you get an Acura, have the grill color matched to the car. It looks 100x better than the ugly snout Acura puts on their cars.

Can't speak towards the BMW since I've never owned a 335i.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:30 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by BSG1
^^This.

Get the Acura if you need AWD and a 6MT in one, since you can't get both with Infiniti. The AWD system is also better with the Acura. But the Infiniti is a more enthusiast car and has better feedback from the road. If you are fine with an automatic, I'd suggest the Infiniti. I currently have an SH-AWD and previously had a G35S. Love both of them for different reasons. The automatic SH-AWD is much slower.
The G37xS does not have the same suspension as your old G35S, so it might not be the enthusiasts choice when compared to the TL SH-AWD.

The shocks and steering are different on RWD S and AWD S.

You're right in that the auto TL SH-AWD is much slower than the 6MT, where there is no real difference in the auto/manual G.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:53 PM
BSG1

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know the G37XS sedan is mostly an appearance package without the RWD S suspension, steering, brakes, LSD, etc. But when I say enthusiast choice, I mean there is more aftermarket support for upgrading those. The TL has very little aftermarket support so options are limited and sometimes not a real option. For example aftermarket RSB's have been known to cause sub frame damage on the TL, so most people avoid them and are stuck with the factory unit. There is also no tune available for the 2009 - 2014 TL, so other bolt-on's don't offer as much benefit as with the G37 platform.

Last edited by BSG1; 12-19-2014 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Grammatical error
The following users liked this post:
Lego_Maniac (12-19-2014)
Old 01-05-2015, 07:23 PM
Heracles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. I haven't made a purchase yet as I'm still deciding. I'm going to try to go test drive the g37xs this week. I need to know if the HP gain offsets the nicer interior and better tech of the tl.

really wanted as close to a sports car as possible, having come from owning ls1 TransAm, Mustang cobras and GT, I NEED something good for dd in the NE pa. Year around.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:28 PM
KEG97
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Heracles
Thanks for the input guys. I haven't made a purchase yet as I'm still deciding. I'm going to try to go test drive the g37xs this week. I need to know if the HP gain offsets the nicer interior and better tech of the tl.

really wanted as close to a sports car as possible, having come from owning ls1 TransAm, Mustang cobras and GT, I NEED something good for dd in the NE pa. Year around.
If you're prioritizing a sports car feel, I'm not sure how the TL with it's slightly better interior and tech would outweigh the G's better driving dynamics
Old 01-05-2015, 07:33 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,721 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Ah, there's the key to this puzzle. It's not a sportscar you're looking for, you want a luxury sedan that reminds you of your musclecar roots. That said, the G's powertrain is for more musclecar-ish than the other two. Smooth, NA power, but a little noisy and a little crude in comparison. Best bang-for-buck of the three, particularly if you want to pretend you're still driving a high-HP ponycar.

Last edited by Rochester; 01-05-2015 at 10:23 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:21 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Why not get a RWD S and run snow tires year round?

Having had a Trans Am (although a lowly LT1, albeit with Koni Yellows and Strano Springs and Shocks) my G37S is far more enjoyable to hustle around. The steering and independent rear suspension really aren't even in the same league as the solid axle cars you're referencing.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:28 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,721 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Why not get a RWD S and run snow tires year round?
Exactly. With limited slip, traction control, and anti-lock brakes... All you need is a good set of snow tires for Northeast winters. Unless you live where there's some serious hills to climb in the snow, AWD is a disappointing drag on the kind of car the OP wants.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:39 PM
bluedevils95

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
I test drove the TL and the G and love the G so much better. Since your getting the X model or looking at it. If you plan on doing some upgrades, I suggest changing out your sway bars. They make a huge difference and you will notice it right away. I am not sure how long you plan on keeping your car, but the G can out last the acura any day. Acura starts losing reliability after 100k.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:18 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Exactly. With limited slip, traction control, and anti-lock brakes... All you need is a good set of snow tires for Northeast winters. Unless you live where there's some serious hills to climb in the snow, AWD is a disappointing drag on the kind of car the OP wants.

My FIL rocked an BMW M6 (500HP) for 4 years outside Cleveland with snow tires. He drove it practically every day. I don't see why you would deprive yourself of driving pleasure and a manual