G37 Sedan

Looking forhelp

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 01:28 PM
weapon x

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking forhelp

2010 G37X, 41,000 miles, still covered under elite protection plan.

A couple of months ago, my car started making a weird ticking sound at idle. Very noticeable, very annoying. Also having trouble with shifting from when i first got the car at 28000 miles. Sounds like the typical problem most people are having. Experienced extremely hard shifting on several occassions where it literally felt like I smashed into a curb.

Brought it to the dealer and was told that they solved both problems by topping off the fluid. LOL. I didn't have time to argue so I had to leave. Of course the problems are still there. I went back and had one of the technicians sitting in the car with me and he immediately heard the ticking sound and stated that it may be the fuel dampener. He also said he will check for a transmission update, but I couldn't leave the car and told him I would bring it back.

I brought the car back yesterday and was told that there was no update for the transmission. I asked about the cable used and they said that they only go by VIN number for updating. Further, they said that my tranny fluid is burnt and needs to be replaced, which should fix the problem. I told them about the sealed tranny and tranny not needing maintenance. They brushed off what I said.

Second, they are blaming the idle noise on bad gas. I suspected that they would try this so, for the last several fillups, I've used different gas stations, all major brands, always premium and in different counties. I would run the car down to near empty, always with the same result. I told them this and they said to leave it for another day.

I'm expecting the same bull**** when they call today. I'm going to tell them that I'm not picking up the car because of the shifting problems. It's dangerous. Am I at the point where I should just ask for the Infiniti rep? I really don't feel like arguing with the dealer anymore.

Thanks
Old 12-09-2014, 02:01 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
There are a few revisions for the trans update, Check on here there in the TSB section I think, LOL, as far as the ticking that almost sounds like the VVEL TSB I would look at that also and then try a different dealer.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:06 AM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
the trans update is for delayed or prolonged shift adaptations. the problem you are experiencing with harsh shifting is an internal trans problems such as a slipping clutch or perhaps high trans pressures for certain gear ranges. the tech is correct to say that you may be in need of a trans if the fluid is burnt.
your claim of it being a sealed tranny and tranny not needing maintenance, tells me you obviously have no technical background in cars. you sound like you were in a hurry to just get your car out of the dealer without giving them proper amount of time to diagnose and repair your vehicle. since your car is still covered under your warranty plan leave it there and let them replace the trans.
in addition of all my years i have never heard of any "cable" that updates the pcm or tcm of any vehicle. all software flash updates are done by either the factory laptop or through network interface where the software of your pcm is uploaded to the factory over the internet and then updated software is reloaded back into your vehicle. depending on the car line it may also be a requirement for the tech to perform scn and cvn coding. your rants of "i'm not picking up the car" scares no one at the dealer. bottom line is work with them and they will work with you.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:19 PM
weapon x

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by crookncastle
the trans update is for delayed or prolonged shift adaptations. the problem you are experiencing with harsh shifting is an internal trans problems such as a slipping clutch or perhaps high trans pressures for certain gear ranges. the tech is correct to say that you may be in need of a trans if the fluid is burnt.
your claim of it being a sealed tranny and tranny not needing maintenance, tells me you obviously have no technical background in cars. you sound like you were in a hurry to just get your car out of the dealer without giving them proper amount of time to diagnose and repair your vehicle. since your car is still covered under your warranty plan leave it there and let them replace the trans.
in addition of all my years i have never heard of any "cable" that updates the pcm or tcm of any vehicle. all software flash updates are done by either the factory laptop or through network interface where the software of your pcm is uploaded to the factory over the internet and then updated software is reloaded back into your vehicle. depending on the car line it may also be a requirement for the tech to perform scn and cvn coding. your rants of "i'm not picking up the car" scares no one at the dealer. bottom line is work with them and they will work with you.

I have a few distinct problems. As I stated, I am experiencing the shifting problem that many members seem to experience. Sluggish shifting, etc. The most recent update appears to be ITB12-027D. This is in addition to the harsh shifting that doesn't happen regularly.

With regards to Consult 3, read this thread, created right here:

Changing AT Fluid : G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning

and here

https://www.myg37.com/forums/tsb-tec...7at-fix-8.html

There are many more discussions regarding this and I'm not going to post them all. Do a google search. I asked them if they tried using both versions and they said they only go by VIN. I was simply asking if there was another way to approach this. Some people are reporting that the update is not showing up correctly if the wrong version of Consult III is used. There is a Consult III+ version as well. Maybe they are wrong in referring to it as a cable when it's the system as a whole, but the larger point still stands. Some people have reported that by using Consult III+, they are able to receive the update.

My comment regarding a sealed transmission is based off of several things. The service manual for the car specifically says to NOT change the 7AT fluid for both regular schedule 1 and 2 maintenance as well as premium:

https://owners.infinitiusa.com/conte...2010_I_SMG.pdf

In addition, these threads all refer to it as a sealed, maintenance free transmission, backed by an Infiniti Master Tech:

Changing AT Fluid : G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...-location.html

https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...questions.html

Again, there's many more and I will not list them all for you.

I never said I rushed out of there. They called, told me they addressed the problem, and I left, giving them the benefit of the doubt in thinking that they must have checked the car after the work they did. Shortly after leaving, I noticed that the problems were still there. I brought the car back a couple of weeks later because it was the soonest I could get back there. They still have the car.

They called me the next day, telling me that I must have used bad gas, which I know I haven't and that my transmission fluid was burnt and needed to be flushed, to the tune of $280 plus tax.

Where do you get, from all that I have typed, that I am ranting? I haven't even spoken to the dealer yet regarding picking up my vehicle and I never told them that I wouldn't take it back. I'm waiting for them to call me and tell me that there's nothing wrong and I'm trying to prepare for that. If I'm lucky, they will find the problem and fix it, dealing with the problem and I can go on my happy way.

This thread is called "Looking for help." There is no reason to come in here and speak to me in an insulting manner, stating that it's "obvious" I have no technical knowledge. I based my knowledge on what's written in my documentation as well as that of other owners that know what they are talking about, some of which I have posted above. What are you basing yours on?