G37 Sedan

Tanabe exhaust options for sedan

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 01:33 PM
Furlow

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Tanabe exhaust options for sedan

So I went for the Tanabe axle-back exhaust and so far I like it. Stress the word "like." I can hear it, and I like the sound, but it's very mellow and quiet. I know it will take time to break in, and I will wait for that. But I was curious if anyone with the sedan has installed either the Tanabe mid-pipe and/or the Tanabe y-pipe to make it a full cat-back exhaust?

If anyone has videos or pictures, that would be great! I've searched this forum and youtube extensively and I can't find anything...
Old 12-05-2014, 02:18 PM
ram18962
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I have the Tanable axle back exhaust as well and felt like I was in the same boat as you but then I got installed a Megan Racing Y Pipe and Fast Intentions Resonated High Flow Cats and it gives me the perfect sound that I was after. I can hear it perfectly during normal acceleration and it is amazing at WOT.
The following users liked this post:
Furlow (12-05-2014)
Old 12-05-2014, 02:35 PM
Furlow

Originally Posted by ram18962
I have the Tanable axle back exhaust as well and felt like I was in the same boat as you but then I got installed a Megan Racing Y Pipe and Fast Intentions Resonated High Flow Cats and it gives me the perfect sound that I was after. I can hear it perfectly during normal acceleration and it is amazing at WOT.
Did you ever have the Y-pipe without the HFC's? I'm in CA and I don't want to mess with the cats...
Old 12-07-2014, 11:09 AM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
the Y pipe doesn't change the sound at all with the tanabe axle back. you need to swap out the resonators with some smaller high flow ones. i used vibrant 12" #1790 on mine.

sound clip
https://www.myg37.com/forums/intake-...ound-clip.html
The following users liked this post:
Furlow (12-08-2014)
Old 12-07-2014, 06:53 PM
conquistador
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by guy from norcal
the Y pipe doesn't change the sound at all with the tanabe axle back. you need to swap out the resonators with some smaller high flow ones. i used vibrant 12" #1790 on mine.

sound clip
lol the poor dog in the back seat
Old 12-08-2014, 11:38 AM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Originally Posted by conquistador
lol the poor dog in the back seat
yeah thats the wifes fault. thats why we have him seat belted to his dog bed
Old 12-08-2014, 07:09 PM
Furlow

Originally Posted by guy from norcal

sound clip
Nice, sounds great! Love the dog in the back lol!

So the resonators are in the mid-pipe, right? If I get the Tanabe mid-pipe, that would have better sounding resonators? Or are you saying that you can (and did) replace ONLY the resonators?

Edit: I saw your cost, that's not bad at all. How does it sound inside the cabin with the windows rolled up? I'd like to be able to hear/feel the exhaust a little more.

Last edited by Furlow; 12-08-2014 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Saw the cost
Old 12-09-2014, 08:58 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Furlow
Nice, sounds great! Love the dog in the back lol!

So the resonators are in the mid-pipe, right? If I get the Tanabe mid-pipe, that would have better sounding resonators? Or are you saying that you can (and did) replace ONLY the resonators?

Edit: I saw your cost, that's not bad at all. How does it sound inside the cabin with the windows rolled up? I'd like to be able to hear/feel the exhaust a little more.
the Y-pipe is the piece after the cats and before the resonators. there are two of them. so replacing the Y pipe doesn't have anything to do with the resonators.
as far as with the windows rolled up, it's still very noticable even with the radio on. and no rasp or drone noise.
the difference the vibrant resonators made is HUGE about 80% louder then just the tanabes, and in a good way not ricey at all.