G37 Sedan

Confused about AC and automatic climate control.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 11:27 AM
Trooper Orange

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Confused about AC and automatic climate control.

Hello fellow G owners,
I have a 2010 G37x that I have only had for a few months. I have most everything figured out except one thing I find odd.

When the climate control is set to automatic it always leaves the AC button illuminated amber, even when it is below freezing outside and the heater is going.

My question is, does the button just illuminate indicating the climate control can use it if needed? Or does it indicate that indeed the AC is being used for humidity or other reasons?

Thanks
Old 11-28-2014, 11:47 AM
Twista

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
It dehumidifies the air so you don't have windows fogging up. I just turn it off everytime I set it to auto
The following users liked this post:
Trooper Orange (11-28-2014)
Old 11-28-2014, 12:00 PM
Trooper Orange

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Twista
It dehumidifies the air so you don't have windows fogging up. I just turn it off everytime I set it to auto
Thanks I appreciate it. That is what I have been doing, just wondered.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:38 PM
Neddy_G37

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have the same issue, that button keeps illuminating at the worst times. I also find it annoying that you can not recirculate the air without the a/c being on. If it didnt hurt the mpg so much, I wouldnt care but after using a tank with it always on, and another with me always shutting it off, thats a 2mpg difference! Seems like a programming glitch to me.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:49 PM
Dj1ofDet
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
^^^ It's not an issue or glitch. Every car I've owned does the same thing. When you hit the auto setting, the car is using the cold air to dehumidify the warmer air. It's the same function in the summer time. Here's an experiment for you. Ever hold a cup of hot water up to a cold window? It fogs and eventually develops moisture. Without the ability to control the moisture levels of the warm air in your car, it COULD happen there too.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:57 PM
Neddy_G37

** confession ** this is the first vehicle I ever owned with electronic climate control so its a little new to me. I am used to manual controls where the a/c only comes on when you hit the button, or run defrost. Otherwise, its always off. From a safety standpoint, its not an issue. And I turn it off when I dont want/need it anyway.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:43 PM
Twista

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cars with auto climate having always been using a/c our old 97 Buick did this...just remember to turn it off when u don't want it. My car is always set to auto since it's winter time and it remembers the laser setting you had it at.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:31 AM
brianwetzel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have found the temperature to never be at a level that is comfortable without always messing with the setting. This is the only car with automatic climate control that I have owned that I was not able to just set it to 21 (C) and be comfortable. In the summer on hot days I have to set it to near 24 or I am freezing and when it is cold I have to set it at 19 or below or it is too hot. In Calgary tonight we had -21 with the wind it was about -35. The windows were fogging up with 4 of us in the car so I had to turn on the front defogging and it was way too hot so I kept turning it down but at 18 the air was freezing and at 18.5 it was way too hot. I had to keep changing it between 18 and 18.5. Not acceptable for this level of car. And yes, I also turn off the AC when it is not hot out.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:26 AM
Dj1ofDet
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Anytime you have that many people in the car, unless you aren't talking, your hot breath will accelerate the humidity levels in the car. Again, nothing abnormal here...
Old 11-29-2014, 10:05 AM
G37Xtreme

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
I've had my climate control turn into what I would call semi-auto mode.

I disable auto and set the temp to 62°F. The temp of the air coming out is clearly not 62°. It's much warmer. In fact, raising it to 65° makes this effect much more noticeable. It's lie the car realizes it's cold outside (or inside) and instead of giving me the temp of air I ask for, it imposes some sort of warmed protocol.

The only way to get COLD air is to drop to 60° or 61°. I've looked into this, and I think it's by design, rather than something wrong with my car. Other people have reported this behavior, and even a brand new Q60 has done this.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:18 AM
solidsilver
Registered Member

Originally Posted by G37Xtreme
The only way to get COLD air is to drop to 60° or 61°.
Unless I'm completely misunderstanding what you're saying, it seems to me that how cold the air feels inside has a lot to do with how hot it is outside. It can hit triple-digits where I live, and setting the temp to 75, 76, and sometimes even up to 80 feels ice-cold coming out of the vents.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:46 AM
G37Xtreme

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by solidsilver
Unless I'm completely misunderstanding what you're saying, it seems to me that how cold the air feels inside has a lot to do with how hot it is outside. It can hit triple-digits where I live, and setting the temp to 75, 76, and sometimes even up to 80 feels ice-cold coming out of the vents.
I don't think this is about how it "seems". There is a definite change in the air. I can even hear something going on at 62. The difference between 61 and 62 is 1 degree. The difference here is much greater. 65 degrees should be pretty ice cold, but it's quite warm.

I've been meaning to locate my infrared thermometer and test this.

BTW, this effect goes away sometimes...I think it's related to the interior temperature, so on warmer days it behaves correctly, but on cold days, the car redefines temperatures above 62.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:49 AM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have had my 2010 for 4 1/2 years and when I first got it the A/C annoyed me. It seemed like I was always changing the settings. It would be fine for awhile then freeze me out. I never had that problem with any of the dozen or so other vehicles I owned with climate control.
All my driving conditions are in warm weather so the A/C is always on.
All my other vehicles, from several different makers, I would set and forget, except for the few times I wanted it a bit colder or warmer.
I also noticed it seems to come out colder when first cooling the car down then my other vehicles. I have no complaint with that.
I am extremely pleased overall with the G37, so I consider the A/C a minor annoyance.
Tom
Old 11-29-2014, 01:16 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
How can I just turn on outside air circulation? It seems that the climate control only uses the outside air to cool the car when the temp is less outside than it is inside..... The climate control is a bit confusing at times for me.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:30 PM
lukeduke1110

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think its by design. I've owned a '08 and now an '11 and they both act the same. On a regular day with the climate control set at 70 with no AC and just having the fan going the air feels a lot warmer than 70. I would say almost unbearably warm. I was better off just rolling down the windows with no fan blowing. Sometimes I leave it at 60 to have normal air flowing through the car.

I was almost going to take it to the dealer on the first car because I thought there was something wrong. I've come to accept it on the 2nd car.

Quick Reply: Confused about AC and automatic climate control.