Help: few issues after 190,000 km...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 01:48 AM
mobe
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Help: few issues after 190,000 km...

Hey fellas,
so I have 2009 G37 sedan. I got 190,000 km (not miles) on my car. Since the day i bought brand new, I've been blessed that I had no issues with the car, until recently. Here are the few issues:

1. My gas milage went down to sh&t in the past couple of months for some odd reason. I usually get about 550km on a full tank, but now I'm barely getting 400km!!!!

2. my exhaust is little louder. I have Invidia HFC & Catback. yes i know louder is nice, but i had this setup for couple of years now, just in the last couple of months, it seems like it took a whole lot more tone, on idle and cruising!!!

3. my dashboard...my RPM gage flickers in the background. My gas gage also flickers. When i'm almost empty, its turns on, but when its full its off!!! would it be just lose wire or i have to replace the whole cluster?

your input is much appreciated!!!!
Old 10-28-2014, 09:59 AM
Sunny G
Registered Member

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts
For the gas mileage have you tried seafom treatment for the engine? It's to reduce carbon deposit and other nasty things. For the exhaust you may have burnt out the HFC making things louder, and try replacing the light fuse it might fix the flicker. I'm no expert but these are some preliminary steps you can take.
The following users liked this post:
mobe (10-29-2014)
Old 10-28-2014, 10:03 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Have you had your throttle bodies cleaned up?
As far as the dash issues, the electrical stuff it truly a PITA. After that many miles it probably is a loose connection on a board, probably simple once you isolate it, but getting to that point is a bear.
mobe (10-29-2014)
Old 10-28-2014, 01:17 PM
mobe
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Sunny G
For the gas mileage have you tried seafom treatment for the engine? It's to reduce carbon deposit and other nasty things. For the exhaust you may have burnt out the HFC making things louder, and try replacing the light fuse it might fix the flicker. I'm no expert but these are some preliminary steps you can take.
i haven't used seafom, but from other reviews, it really doesn't do much. I didn't know you can burn out your HFC...i'll look into that. I'll go to the electrician and find out about the flickering...

thanks for your input!!!
Old 10-28-2014, 01:34 PM
mobe
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
Have you had your throttle bodies cleaned up?
As far as the dash issues, the electrical stuff it truly a PITA. After that many miles it probably is a loose connection on a board, probably simple once you isolate it, but getting to that point is a bear.
i cleaned it couple of years ago...i noticed my rpm dropping while idling... what the heck is PITA!!! everyone here keeps telling me that isolating the problem for the flickering is pain!!! its much easier just replace the cluster!!! in any case...i'll see if i can figure it!!! thanks...

any other inputs or suggestions are welcome...
Old 10-28-2014, 03:40 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by mobe
i cleaned it couple of years ago...i noticed my rpm dropping while idling... what the heck is PITA!!! everyone here keeps telling me that isolating the problem for the flickering is pain!!! its much easier just replace the cluster!!! in any case...i'll see if i can figure it!!! thanks...

any other inputs or suggestions are welcome...
PITA~Pain in the As$
Getting to the circuit boards would be the PITA, once you had them in hand it may be pretty straightforward, but never having done that I'm just speculating
mobe (10-29-2014)
Old 10-28-2014, 04:48 PM
SlimTV
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
OP, it would help if you could include the conversions to miles and mpg for a quicker response. Your car has a little over 118k miles on it and as far as fuel consumption, you went from approximately 342 miles a tankful of gas to just under 250? You didn't say if the car has been properly maintained. I would do a complete tune up, change every fluid in the car to synthetic. Replace every filter, throw in a fuel system additive next fill up at a good gas station. Check tire wear, pressure, and alignment. Once you get the engine in top running shape, average out your fuel consumption yourself and compare vs the cars cpu. Do an ECU reset. Did you consider getting an Uprev tune? You could possibly be running lean or rich? As for the electrical, if the problem is in the cluster itself, then swapping it out for a used one would probably be the most cost effective fix with the least downtime.
mobe (10-29-2014)
Old 10-28-2014, 10:59 PM
kluthage421
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
The gas mileage issue could be a bad oxygen sensor(s). I would have thought you would have a CEL though. Full seafoam (gas tank, vacuum system, crank case) every 10-20k is recommended as well.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:30 AM
mobe
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SlimTV
OP, it would help if you could include the conversions to miles and mpg for a quicker response. Your car has a little over 118k miles on it and as far as fuel consumption, you went from approximately 342 miles a tankful of gas to just under 250? You didn't say if the car has been properly maintained. I would do a complete tune up, change every fluid in the car to synthetic. Replace every filter, throw in a fuel system additive next fill up at a good gas station. Check tire wear, pressure, and alignment. Once you get the engine in top running shape, average out your fuel consumption yourself and compare vs the cars cpu. Do an ECU reset. Did you consider getting an Uprev tune? You could possibly be running lean or rich? As for the electrical, if the problem is in the cluster itself, then swapping it out for a used one would probably be the most cost effective fix with the least downtime.
thanks for the detailed response..i do apologize for not converting to miles since most of you here are from US...

-the car has been well maintained. All services upto this point was done at the dealer. all filters were replaced last service and i got service coming up in 200 miles. tires were checked last week. alignment was done with minimal adjustments. I'm considering getting an Uprev tune, but unfortunately no one here does Uprev tune anymore. I have to find a garage that does a proper tune... resetting ECU could do the trick for now

my cluster flickering and now my parking sensors are both off. parking sensors seems to work first thing in the morning when i'm pulling out from the garage, but then its off...it doesnt work!!! i dont know i might have just lose connection somewhere. i went to nearby garage and they told me that if the parking sensors were painted then it wouldnt work!!! is that true? to replace all 4 front sensors gonna cost me 1000$....

thanks for your input @SlimTV
Old 10-29-2014, 08:04 AM
tchoke

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Im not a mechanic

I would start off with your flickering issue first, have the charging system checked
could be a grounding issue, look at easy stuff first check battery connection and wires or an alternator on its way out.

as far as the gas mileage start with the most simple stuff first ie tune up
at 190km plugs etc also do you use premium gas is it from a reputable station

i would look for a reputable garage someone you can trust not a garage you mentioned
who just wants to throw parts at the car. If you take your car to the dealer you will get hosed, good thing about your problem is the car is still driveable so it gives you time to look for a good shop. good luck
mobe (10-29-2014)