G37 Sedan

Just picked up my G

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 08:46 PM
ay37
Registered Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Just picked up my G

Hey thereeee.... just picked up a black 2012 G37x with 17k miles. Has NAV, black interior, illuminated kick plates.

Prior to buying the right car, i had already done much research on what I wanted to do to it once I picked it up.

Here's my list of future mods to come (they will come real soon):

STR 607 19"
http://www.ebay.com/itm/19X8-5-10-STR607-WHEELS-5X114-3-15-20-MATTE-GUNMETAL-RIM-FITS-INFINITI-G37-COUPE-/371049561304?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Wheels&hash=item566446fcd8&vxp=mtr
Swift Lowering Springs

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Swift-Lowering-Sport-Springs-Infiniti-G37X-4DR-AWD-ONLY-NV36-08-4N907-/361029408701?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item540f0797bd&vxp=mtr
Rear Duckbill Spoiler v1

http://www.carbonsignalauto.com/infiniti.html

Front Bumper Lip

http://www.ebay.com/itm/11-13-Infiniti-G25-G37-S-V36-4D-Sedan-PU-Front-Chin-Bumper-Lip-Spoiler-Body-Kit-/111431006273?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AInfiniti%7CModel%3AG37&hash=item19f1ce3841&vxp=mtr
Rear Bumper Diffuser

http://www.autokitsx.com/imagenes/productos/d%202010+%20Infiniti%20G37%20Sedan/1%20%202010-2012%20Infiniti%20G37%20AK%20Sedan%20Diffuser/Copia.html

Splash Guards

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-INFINITI-G37-SEDAN-NON-SPORT-SPLASH-GUARDS-F-R-/181521327924?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a4383a734&vxp=mtr
FI Hi Flow Cat

http://www.fastintentions.com/product_info.php?cPath=41_50_67_69&products_id=119 &osCsid=b31570da1e8211fb6467d0be01f7f885

Invidia Cat Back Exhaust

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-2013-Infiniti-G37-Sedan-Invidia-Q300-Cat-Back-Exhaust-Dual-Titanium-Muffler-/271082440581?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AG37&hash=item3f1dc5c785&vxp=mtr

So I really only have one concern at this point, and this is where I need help from a few of you experienced G owners...

The car has the factory 17" rims/tires on it. I will need to buy new tires 100%. Typically I would have a "winter set" and a "summer set", but i'm thinking to just rock the aftermarket 19" STR 607's all season with this ride.

With that being said, I am thinking not to buy new tires for the 17" factory wheels and just spend it towards a set of STR 607's and tires to compliment them.

Being AWD, is it even worth running a staggered setup? I won't be able to rotate the wheels. I know its an extreme comparison, but the nissan GTR is AWD and has a factory staggered setup. Probably just need opinions to help me decide.

Also, what rim size/offset do I need for 19" STR's? Can I get an idea of the specs for staggered and non-staggered? What offsets would i require for each setup?

Also, I know what I'm going to hear about lowering the car, but I should definitely lower it with swift's eh? I only want a mild drop. AND i only want to drop it if it won't affect the AWD, axles, etc. If lowering it is 100% goin to put strain on the car's drivetrain, then i may rethink that. I just need input regarding the lowering effects and wheel sizes..

Thanks !
Old 10-04-2014, 09:09 PM
guyinswmo

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Nice list you have started. As far as springs go several people on here have done it on their X without issue and I plan on doing it this spring. The staggered tires question is up for debate as some have done it and some stay squared.

One thing I might suggest is to look into the oem lip spoiler. it's not quite as aggressive as the one your looking at, but you can get it for around $200 or less off eBay already painted usually and it replaces the chrome piece completely.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:09 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Welcome to the site, congrats on your new X
Lots going on in your thread but in short~
Going from 17s to 19s combined w/ lowering springs will be a dramatic change in ride comfort. As far as staggered, it's easier to run a square setup since you won't have to worry about diameter variance which can cause issues w/ AWD setups. Here's a nice thread for some ideas for running square sets w/ various sizes & offsets~
https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...post-here.html
Lowering your G will put more strain on your end links and may shorten the life of your struts & shocks. Combined w/ lower profile tires the ride will be more jarring which does have an impact on bushings and may result in more rattling over time, but these cars don't need a lot of help in that regard
I recommend camber kits when you lower your G also, at least the rear arms & toe kit.
If you have specific wheel/suspension questions post in this folder
Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires - MyG37
Old 10-05-2014, 11:09 AM
ay37
Registered Member

thank you for the responses both of you.

i have decided to keep the "squared" setup. The question now is whether or not aftermarket wheels will look good without a drop. I'd still like to go with 19's. I could even go slightly bigger than factory wheel height and give myself a little more tire cushion. Sure it will throw off the speedo, but if it helps fill the gap enough to where it doesn't look funny, i think that's the way i want to go. I need to see pics of setups without a drop.

everything else on that list i pretty much already ordered! very excited.

Thank you again... i'm trying to find the "post thank button" but can't find it lol
Old 10-05-2014, 11:52 AM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Personally I would keep the 17" and throw winter tires on them. IMO, there is no point in buying a set of aftermarket wheels if you're going to put all seasons on them. If your budget can allot for an extra $800 for winter tires then I would go for it. If you're planning on selling the 17's you're not going to get much, if anything, for them, so might as well put them to good use.

I would recommend the swift springs. When I had my xS I purchased a set because I wanted a mild drop to get rid of some of the wheel gap. I never did put them on because I ended up buying a RWD G. I sold them to a local member who put them on his wife's G and he said that he wouldn't suggest any other spring because the ride quality didn't change much, if at all, and it got rid of the gap, and it didn't require a camber kit. IMO best spring for the AWD G you can get, based on reading posts from other members and online reviews.

The STR's look good. I would keep them squared though. I've heard that you can run a staggered setup on the AWD G's, but I have also seen plenty of posts, mainly on some of the Facebook Infiniti pages, of peoples VDC freaking out. IMO, its not worth the possible headache.

Since the STR's have such a large gap between spokes I would recommend looking into possibly upgrading the standard brakes to the Akebono BBK, it would look much more appealing. If you do decide to go this route just make sure that the BBK will fit behind the wheel.

Oh, and welcome to the site!
Old 10-05-2014, 11:54 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

The main issue w/ the X is they're already higher than RWD Gs so w/out a drop and larger rims the look is a bit off. 19s aren't too bad in that regard but you might even consider some nice 18s. IMO that would be better than going w/ larger diameter tires on 19s to fill the gap.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:16 PM
ay37
Registered Member

Yea maybe its best to avoid the bigger wheels. I know AWD systems in many cars are very picky. You throw off one setting and the whole thing breaks down. Could be as simple as running a bigger wheel. I know many German cars are extremely particular with their AWD systems. They are designed with a certain configuration from the factory and messing with that could be nothing but a headache.

You gentleman have been extremely helpful. Thank you!

LOL now i'm looking at gear swaps... maybe some 3.9's... i've messaged specialty z and stillen to see what their experience is with any such thing. I want to make sure it's possible on an AWD 7at without issues. i've seen people saying they lose their cruise control

ahhh decisions decisions...
Old 10-05-2014, 01:36 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by v1mirage
Yea maybe its best to avoid the bigger wheels. I know AWD systems in many cars are very picky. You throw off one setting and the whole thing breaks down. Could be as simple as running a bigger wheel. I know many German cars are extremely particular with their AWD systems. They are designed with a certain configuration from the factory and messing with that could be nothing but a headache.

You gentleman have been extremely helpful. Thank you!

LOL now i'm looking at gear swaps... maybe some 3.9's... i've messaged specialty z and stillen to see what their experience is with any such thing. I want to make sure it's possible on an AWD 7at without issues. i've seen people saying they lose their cruise control

ahhh decisions decisions...
There's a lot of members running staggered setups on their AWDs but you have to be very careful w/ tire selection and monitor treadwear more diligently.
As far as gear swaps and AWDs I haven't done any research but might click over on this thread and scroll through it, there may be one of those guys that have done it or at least looked into it I would think it would be quite a bit more involved than for us RWD guys.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...37x-coupe.html