G37 Sedan

OEM Reconditioned Bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 10:02 AM
djdiskino

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
OEM Reconditioned Bumper?

Has anyone had experience with OEM Reconditioned Bumpers?

I was thinking of getting a sedan sport bumper and it's enticing to get an OEM Reconditioned. I looked up online how they reconditioned bumpers that have been in an accident. It looks like they repair them to like-new state and prime them and ship em out.

Figured I'd ask if anyone had gone this route.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:12 AM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 560 Likes on 390 Posts
I would imagine the fitment should be somewhere in-between OEM New and aftermarket. It will line up a lot better than an aftermarket, but may not be 100% perfect all around like a new OEM bumper would be. There is also a good chance the fitment will be spot on, it depends on what was repaired and how well. I would check the feedback of the seller, assuming this is on eBay, and make a decision from that. I would also consider the price difference by going with the reconditioned bumper. If the feedback is good and the savings is substantial, it sounds worth it to save a few bucks. You can always use eBay buyer protection as a crutch if the deal goes sour. They will generally help with recovering shipping costs if the item is severely "not as described".

Either way you go, stay away from aftermarket. The fitment will be awful and by the time you are done paying for body work you will have an aftermarket bumper that costs more than a new OEM bumper.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:43 PM
GAWD

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
I've used several rebuilt bumpers from Quality Bumper of Dallas. I doubt this company would be of interest to you in Boston for freight reasons, but reconditioned bumpers in general I've not had a problem with. There is likely a good rebuilder in your area. They often want a core in exchange, so if your stock bumper is good, it might be worth more to them than selling it yourself (to offset the cost) Plus avoid freight all together.

Quality shows a 2010+ Sport sedan bumper for $329 on their website, just for a pricing reference. Its a crapshoot, front bumpers sometimes have grilles, fog lights, etc or could be bare.

I replaced an Explorer rear bumper from Quality early this summer & it came with all 4 sonars and license plate lights, step pad. Saved me $$$.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:47 AM
djdiskino

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Thanks for the super helpful responses guys! I think I was on the same page but just wanted to gauge anyone that had experience with them. Fortunately, I am ordering through Rockauto so I don't think I'll have any issues with quality/return if any issues arise. I'll roll the dice with the Rockauto one versus around 400 on eBay or local dealers.

What's the best way to get one of these painted? I am guessing of have to borrow my parents suv to get it to the body shop for paint and once more to pick it up.
Old 09-12-2014, 03:57 PM
jsampsell

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
I can't answer your question about reconditioned. I've never used one. I thought I'd tell you that I just bought a sport sedan bumper new from orderinfinitiparts.com though. Just in case the price difference is a little closer to make it worth going new. They were the cheapest I had found online. The bumper by itself is only $287.81 but you have to buy the three grille inserts too. Total cost was $454.29 (see attachment) plus shipping. I'm in Georgia. They are in North Carolina. They quoted me $145 to ship LTL truck freight. I have accounts with multiple carriers at work so they let me use my own carrier. Cost me $73.

Here are the OEM part numbers if you don't have them and are interested in looking around. Remember that this is for a Sedan specifically. And a 2010+ at that.

Sport Front Bumper Cover - 62022-1NH0H
Grille Front Bumper RH - 62256-1NH0A
Grille Front Bumper LH - 62257-1NH0A
Grille Front Bumper Center - 62254-1NH1A

Like I said, just giving you an option over reconditioned. I did a good bit of research, including reconditioned, myself before deciding to purchase new.

Jeremy
Attached Thumbnails OEM Reconditioned Bumper?-sportbumperparts.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
djdiskino (09-15-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 04:33 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by djdiskino
What's the best way to get one of these painted? I am guessing of have to borrow my parents suv to get it to the body shop for paint and once more to pick it up.
If you end up having to have the bumper shipped why not just have it shipped to the dealer/body shop that will be painting it? Just let the dealer/body shop know in advance.