G37 Sedan

Mods to make my G37 similar to G37s

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 05:49 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 751 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Lances Infiniti
I will be putting on my swift springs on friday! So excited! As for tires and rims they will have to wait. But what i'm interested in now is sway bars. If i shall get some what brand? Should i just get 1 sway bar and put it in the back and set it to soft to contradict the understeer? What do you guys think?
Buy both, many aftermarket sway bar sets are adjustable so you can fine tune how much stiffness you want. I recommend Eibach or Hotchkis.
The following users liked this post:
Lances Infiniti (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 07:12 PM
kluthage421
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
GTSpec rear subframe and rear lower tie braces + S rear sway bar. Just put the rear sway on today after the other two braces and now it's on rails! You could get a Hotchkis bar but it might be too stiff. I now have NO body roll and the only limiting factor is the grip of the tires. The car is not rough on bumpy roads and does not lose traction on bumpy roads like my friends 370z. The 370 is too stiff for normal ****ty USA roads. $250 for the two braces plus <$100 for a used S rear sway. Change your tires from 225/55/R17 to 245/50/R17 (Continental ExtremeContact DWS) and you'll be smiling.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:44 PM
Lances Infiniti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why buy both? I'm just wondering your reasoning Gofight. Also i just want to improve handling and not intensify understeer or oversteer. What would i set them too for that?
Old 08-06-2014, 09:20 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Chop off the rear seat section, weld it back together, and get sport wheels/brakes.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:42 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by kluthage421
GTSpec rear subframe and rear lower tie braces + S rear sway bar. Just put the rear sway on today after the other two braces and now it's on rails! You could get a Hotchkis bar but it might be too stiff. I now have NO body roll and the only limiting factor is the grip of the tires. The car is not rough on bumpy roads and does not lose traction on bumpy roads like my friends 370z. The 370 is too stiff for normal ****ty USA roads. $250 for the two braces plus <$100 for a used S rear sway. Change your tires from 225/55/R17 to 245/50/R17 (Continental ExtremeContact DWS) and you'll be smiling.
On rails

I'm sorry, but I have a hard time believing upgrading to an S swaybar + chassis braces + "high performance" all season tires is going to equate to "on rails" handling

I have Eibach sway bars and I can attest to them not being "too stiff". Even with dedicated summer tires I still think the handling leaves something to be desired.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:38 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I'm sorry, but I have a hard time believing upgrading to an S swaybar + chassis braces + "high performance" all season tires is going to equate to "on rails" handling
Everything is relative to everything else. However, Lego is right. Year-round tires are garbage compared to dedicated 3-season rubber. And the S swaybar isn't all that. If it were, RWD Sedan owners wouldn't be replacing them.

Hey OP, aren't you the guy who commented on my swaybar pic a few days ago? Based on the PM's you sent me, and this thread, my advice is that you continue researching things to get to whatever comfort zone you need in order to just buy some aftermarket sways, front & back both.

Hotchkis, Eibach, Stillen, Whiteline, whatever... doesn't matter. You will not regret it.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:30 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Hotchkis video of a G37 before/after swaybars:

Old 08-07-2014, 09:50 AM
SlateBlueG
Premier Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Lances Infiniti
I have a 2011 Infiniti g37 sedan. I was wondering what kind of upgrades i could do to make my car better. Any ideas what i could do to make some changes that the G37s made?
Yeah, you might get messed with a bit in this thread because older members see noobs come in all the time with the same questions. The search functions on this site are superb and I guaran-damn-tee that there's an archived DIY for any type of performance upgrade that you want to do. Do a little searching in here or google "G37 performance upgrades" and prepare to copy. That said, one of the first that most do is the intakes because it's one of the cheaper. Get a baseline dyno before you start the upgrades then get dynoed after adding bolt-ons. Stillen Gen 3 intakes are a PITA to do yourself but you can do it with the right tools. Exhaust is usually next or one of the other early upgrades. Take your pick here. Lots of good systems. Look on YouTube to actually hear the systems on other G owners cars. I personally went with Fast Intentions full catback system with zero regrets. If you haven't already then drop the car (better handling), widen at least the rears and upgrade your sway bars.

Feel your wallet getting thinner yet? Yeah...it doesn't stop once you start. Know upfront exactly where you want to go with it so that you're not buying s**t, installing, then rethinking it things and selling what you just installed only to get something a bit better. Have a plan and work the plan. Just my two cents buddy. Have fun with it.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:19 AM
blueis300
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Curious in the video with the sway bars doesnt it matter at what speed he is doing the test? Dont think I saw that. You can see the difference and and I read it is one of the best things you can do.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:17 AM
kluthage421
Registered Member

On rails

I have Eibach sway bars and I can attest to them not being "too stiff". Even with dedicated summer tires I still think the handling leaves something to be desired.
What do you still desire with your setup? What are you doing or how many G's are you pulling when you think to yourself, "Wow, I desire more from my vehicle in regard to it's ability to handle?" So you do not have the GTSpec bars? They make almost as much as a difference as the sway's themselves. Buy at least the lower tie brace then maybe report back. Where do you drive? Are your road conditions autobahn smooth? (I have just returned from Germany and have driven my pre-rear sway setup on the autobahn at 145+ mph.) I have an X so I have no traction issues whatsoever. Things may be different with a RWD G like yours as with the 370. I am not sure there is a way to define "on rails," but the car surely can take turns faster than I am comfortable doing without mentally getting into spirited mode. No roll, no slip, no over or understeer, no bottoming out, no harsh ride, no rubbing on potholes, and the 245's on the stock 17's prevent curb rash with the rubber overhang. I think <$350 for the two braces plus a used S rear sway would be more beneficial than a >$400 aftermarket sway set. AWDs tend to understeer and this setup has surely corrected this issue with my car. Also, the DWS's are UHP not HP. If you compare UHP Summer and UHP AS, the AS handles better in the wet, so unless you have Max or Extreme Summer tires, then you are not going to notice that much of a difference. You will also be spending a lot more on tires given the initial cost and the treadwear ratings.

UHP Summer: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=163

UHP AS: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=177
Old 08-08-2014, 07:02 AM
Adam West
Registered Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
I have had the Conti DWSs on my X for about 20k and am not overly impressed with them. Their wet weather performance is very good and they handled so-so in snow conditions. According to sources like Tirerack, they seem to perform well in all the categories for an all season tire, but now that I have 20k on them they have definitely worn a lot faster than I would've expected. Maybe it's my driving or just the G's setup, but their right around 5-6/32 of tread all around. My biggest complaint with these is the lack of steering feel and initial turn-in... they just feel floaty compared to the OEM Goodyears. I've gained a little of that feel back now they have worn down, so I'm not sure if it's the tread pattern or sidewall construction but it makes the G's steering feel worse than factory stock. The other thing is they tend to squeal more often than when they were new, especially when going over painted lines, etc.

Numbers and ratings are just that, but they don't always translate into a perfect setup IMHO. I'll be looking to replace these with something else soon.

Bottom line: They cannot be compared to a true summer tire in terms of their dry performance and road feel. If you want a true performance-oriented tire go with a dedicated summer tire and get snows for the winter (unless you're in the South).
Old 08-08-2014, 07:34 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

What do you still desire with your setup? What are you doing or how many G's are you pulling when you think to yourself, "Wow, I desire more from my vehicle in regard to it's ability to handle?"
I think there is a little bit of float in the suspension and that some additional shock dampening would help. I'm comparing this to our old E90 325i Sport and other E90 Sports I've driver

Where do you drive? Are your road conditions autobahn smooth? (I have just returned from Germany and have driven my pre-rear sway setup on the autobahn at 145+ mph.) I have an X so I have no traction issues whatsoever. Things may be different with a RWD G like yours as with the 370.
I'm in the south. Our reads are pretty smooth because we don't get much freezing weather to expand/contract the roads.

I don't have any traction issues. I'm not sure where this assumption of losing traction you have comes from

I think <$350 for the two braces plus a used S rear sway would be more beneficial than a >$400 aftermarket sway set. AWDs tend to understeer and this setup has surely corrected this issue with my car.
I paid less than $350 for my aftermarket sway bars.

Do you have any data to support the braces do anything? Like increases stiffness X%? Track times before and after to show an improvement? If you added both at the same time, how can you isolate the improvement of the braces v/s the S sway bar?

Your experience is counter to the vast majority of G and 370Z owners regarding sway bars.

IMO, Braces = Placebo effect.

Also, the DWS's are UHP not HP. If you compare UHP Summer and UHP AS, the AS handles better in the wet, so unless you have Max or Extreme Summer tires, then you are not going to notice that much of a difference. You will also be spending a lot more on tires given the initial cost and the treadwear ratings.
AS tires do not handle better in the wet. The only thing AS tires do well is bridge the period of time between summer and snow. Dedicated summer tires perform better in the wet and dry at above freezing temperatures. And winter tires perform better than AS tires once there is snow on the ground.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:30 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 751 Likes on 356 Posts
I'm in agreement that tie braces are mostly a placebo. Strut tower braces are also a placebo, they were an aesthetic decision I made. You can't even see tie braces, so you don't even get the aesthetic appeal.

IMO, the chassis is so stuff already that additional tie braces are just adding weight.
Lego_Maniac (08-08-2014)
Old 08-08-2014, 08:35 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
Strut tower braces are also a placebo
On some cars, yep. But not this one. Maybe it's because you have a Coupe.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:22 PM
kluthage421
Registered Member

I think there is a little bit of float in the suspension and that some additional shock dampening would help. I'm comparing this to our old E90 325i Sport and other E90 Sports I've driver

I'm in the south. Our reads are pretty smooth because we don't get much freezing weather to expand/contract the roads.

I don't have any traction issues. I'm not sure where this assumption of losing traction you have comes from

I paid less than $350 for my aftermarket sway bars.

Do you have any data to support the braces do anything? Like increases stiffness X%? Track times before and after to show an improvement? If you added both at the same time, how can you isolate the improvement of the braces v/s the S sway bar?

Your experience is counter to the vast majority of G and 370Z owners regarding sway bars.

IMO, Braces = Placebo effect.

AS tires do not handle better in the wet. The only thing AS tires do well is bridge the period of time between summer and snow. Dedicated summer tires perform better in the wet and dry at above freezing temperatures. And winter tires perform better than AS tires once there is snow on the ground.

Well, we all know BMWs handle amazing. I wanted a 335i x-drive, but couldn't justify the extra price and often over-engineering.

The braces completely removed my body roll. I installed the braces and sways at different times; the braces first. We have different vehicles, so our experiences will be different. I have been trying to find a 300ft parking lot or paved area to use my bluetooth OBDII adapter, but that is difficult. I just know the speeds at which I could take turns on my favorite roads before vs. now. The rear sway helped braking stability for sure as well.

Quick Reply: Mods to make my G37 similar to G37s