G37 Sedan

Had a Q50 Loaner today...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 09:34 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 508 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Maybe it's just me and my phone, but I have a ad for this forum on every page I visit on this site

MyQForum - The Infiniti Q and QX Model Resource
Old 06-25-2014, 03:30 PM
nick3941sd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Vehicle

Just traded in my 2011 G37X on this Monday. Its a 2014 Explorer Sport. Its AWD with the 3.5TT EcoBoost. I've had my eyes for the past months and pulled the trigger after multiple trips to the dealer over the past 2 weeks. The Ex Sport comes factory with leather, my ford touch, upgraded cluster, sport rims, blacked out grill and trim and blacked out head/tail lights. Options that it has are rear bucket seats, panoramic roof and nav.

I didnt make the jump from Infiniti out of dissatisfaction, I just wasnt "feeling" any of the current new models. My G never had one problem in the 40k I put on it, just routine maint. All though I do feel the paint chipped very easily.

I do like the looks of the Q50 but decided against mainly because I was looking for a SUV. But if I was in the market for a car I still would have passed. All though the interior is quite nice i was very disappointed there was no new/upgraded power/drive train with the redesign. The 3.7 is a great motor but I think its getting dated. I wish they would have at least gone direct injection to increase power and fuel economy even more.

I did also look at the QX60/70 but passed again because the interiors are about identical to my G and the 70 had identical drive/power train.

Anyways here's some pix.
Attached Thumbnails Had a Q50 Loaner today...-front.jpg   Had a Q50 Loaner today...-side.jpg   Had a Q50 Loaner today...-rear.jpg   Had a Q50 Loaner today...-sport.jpg   Had a Q50 Loaner today...-boost.jpg  

Old 06-25-2014, 05:06 PM
Zack342
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Three weeks? What's going on, Zach?
My 5th gear started to have issues getting in. so i took it in and they are replacing the transmission.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:51 PM
TimCC23

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MalbecG37S
I had my wife's G at the dealer today for the power steering issue (ITB12035). The dealer (surprisingly?) was able to confirm the issue quickly and replaced the reservoir. Good job Grubbs.

Since the repair was going to take a good part of the day - they gave me a loaner to use. I asked if they had any Q50's - and they did. It did not have NAV - and it luckily did not have DAS. My impressions:

- the car is quieter. Road noise is more 'hushed', engine sound is more subtle and sounds more 'refined'.
- performance wasn't significantly better or worse than my G's. The Q did seem to be tuned differently - like the accelerator pedal sensitivity had been reduced. It felt a bit slower off the line - but also did not have the 'on/off' feeling that the G has much of the time.
- seats - the standard seats did feel a bit more comfy, a bit larger (overall the car felt wider)
- the car had the 'spare tire option' - never saw the tire, but the trunk load floor was HIGH. Interesting...
- the electronics - I may be a bit nit-picky, but I think they missed the boat. The 3 separate panels could be pulled together better. At one point - the radio station song title was being displayed on the center instrument cluster panel, the upper dash panel, and the lower dash panel. Ummm - OK - like I really REALLY needed to know the name of the song! But the overall feeling I had was that they were disjointed...they could have created a more cohesive package. Having said that - that may only be a couple of software updates away...
- steering - not noticeably different than my wife's G. (non-S)
- my final comment is hard to put into words. The G feels more 'pure' from a design standpoint. The Q has some embellishments that feels 'gimmicky'. The rings around the speedo & tach have what looks like plastic 'wings'? Some exterior items feel the same. I will say that the front looks wide & low with the LED lights accenting it well...somewhat unique look...not a 'me too' look.

Anyway - I only had the Q for a few hours - the above is my .02 cents. Right now - I'm not sure if I would give my G for the Q. It could grow on me.
I immediately noticed those "plastic wings" too. They look so tacky!
Old 06-27-2014, 01:38 AM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
I have a Q loaner right now, and I hate to say it, but the car handles flatter and more stable than my G.... this is polar opposite to what everyone has reported. Maybe there actually IS something wrong with my G...
Old 09-09-2014, 12:38 AM
acesk8er

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm driving a Q50 for the next couple of days while my G is in the body shop. (Somebody clipped the front bumper cover in a parking lot )

- Agree with previous reviews about the quirky electronics and the disjointed operation of the dual displays. The superfluous upper display's main function without navigation is to display backup video but unfortunately the backup camera and the display produce a fuzzy low-resolution picture.
- Engine and transmission feel more-or-less the same as my G's. The steering (non-DAS) feels fine to me. The steering wheel looks smaller than my G's.
- The Q's seats are awesome! Very comfy and plush. Will they fit in a G?

EDIT: Now that I have my G37 back I'm almost embarrassed that I thought the Q's steering felt fine. The G is an unapologetic sporty car while the Q leans more toward the Lexus-like plush ride side and the Q's steering feel is consistent with that. I also have a renewed appreciation for the G's aesthetic minimalism vs., for example, the Q's weird cleavage crack binnacle and the oddly-decorated escutcheons around the gauges.

Last edited by acesk8er; 09-11-2014 at 11:39 PM.