G37 Sedan

30K service yikes

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 04:35 PM
tim chivo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
30K service yikes

I have a 2010 G37 with 30K miles and its 45 months old. The dealer today told me that I needed the 30k service but I should do the premium service because I need to replace Diff. fluid, ATF fluid, engine coolant and replace drive belts also replace power steering and brake fluid. They quoted me 1000 dollars...
Do I really need to replace all these fluids at 30K/45 months old?

I have read the service manual that thing is worthless doesn't mention when to do brake fluid or power steering fluid its just states under premium service at 30K ATF fluid, engine coolant, diff fluid and drive belts
What about if you follow service schedule 1??
Old 06-18-2014, 04:42 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by tim chivo
I have a 2010 G37 with 30K miles and its 45 months old. The dealer today told me that I needed the 30k service but I should do the premium service because I need to replace Diff. fluid, ATF fluid, engine coolant and replace drive belts also replace power steering and brake fluid. They quoted me 1000 dollars...

I have read the service manual that thing is worthless doesn't mention when to do brake fluid or power steering fluid its just states under premium service at 30K ATF fluid, engine coolant, diff fluid and drive belts
You can wait for 60k for all those items, I'd do the brake fluid ever 2 years though. If you can DIY that stuff it'll be around $150 give or take.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:43 PM
hinomura

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm not sure about the drive belts (someone else please chip in if you know any better) but I would go ahead and get all the fluids replaced. After 4 years it's about that time anyway. Diff fluid, ATF fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid, coolant, etc. They tried to charge me the same bullsh!t also but you can do most of it yourself; I just did all of mine myself using the DIY stickies here in the forum. Also if I might ask... if that stuff isn't included in the basic 30K mile service, what exactly is included? Two tampons and a biscuit? I would think all the fluids would be covered in the 30K service anyway.

Edit: Blnewt beat me to it. Do what he says.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:51 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
I was told all those are change at 60k,
Old 06-18-2014, 05:21 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts

On my previous 06 G35 the first major service for me was at 106k miles when the plugs and belts were replaced.
The brakes were replaced at 85k miles and the brake fluid was replaced at that time. Never replaced the transmission or differential fluid. Traded that baby in at 172k miles. I did do 53 oil changes. Air filters every 10k miles and cabin filters once a year that I replaced myself.

On my current 2012 G37S with almost 41k miles I've had eleven oil changes thus far, two cabin filter changes, and air filter changes every 10k miles which I do myself.

No 15k,30k, and no planned 45k mile service for me.

Check your belts. If they are not cracked or look worn leave them alone
Those dealer recommended fluid and belt changes are a waste of money in my opinion. Keep your eye under the hood once a week and you'll be fine.
If fluid changes bug you do them yourself as others have recommended

Telcoman
The following users liked this post:
PerDiem (06-18-2014)
Old 06-18-2014, 05:38 PM
jazzmang

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
7AT tranny? No flush required.
Also, check your maint schedule in the manual. Most things they said are not part of this 30k service.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:38 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
^^ +1. generally good advice there. you only need to do what the owner's manual requires as service items. dealer "recommendations" are not mandatory. but dealers are able to dupe many ignorant owners into the up-sell tactics. good for the OP to ask here first.

OP - if you really do want to do the fluid changes for peace of mind, but don't want to DIY, pick up the fluids and take your ride to a trusted independent shop. these services do not take any special tools or training. there's no sense in paying dealer rates for routine maintenance.

that said, i did brake, gearbox, diff fluids at 30k miles as well as all filters. since then i've done power steering and clutch fluids (i'm now at 41k miles but closing in on 6 yrs). i'll do my belt in the few months.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:18 PM
Motoboat

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by ANMVQ
I was told all those are change at 60k,
same here
Old 06-18-2014, 06:51 PM
skeener

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Attempted rape.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:07 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by skeener
Attempted rape.

jazzmang is right. A/T are sealed and the fluid is good for the life of the car.

I might find a different dealer,this one seems to want to rip you off. my 02 cents
Old 06-18-2014, 07:25 PM
PerDiem

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
But this begs the question....has anyone experienced a hard time with dealerships when going in for work under warranty (drivetrain-related or whatnot) and the dealership shows no history of services (30k, 60k, etc.)?
Old 06-18-2014, 08:12 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,721 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Originally Posted by PerDiem
But this begs the question....has anyone experienced a hard time with dealerships when going in for work under warranty (drivetrain-related or whatnot) and the dealership shows no history of services (30k, 60k, etc.)?
At my local Honda dealership for my wife's car, absolutely. "Free for Life" Oil Changes are only "free" when you allow them to charge you for unnecessary regular service charges. It's a shameful business practice, and they've totally lost me as a customer.

But it's not so much a manufacturer policy as it is a dealership thing.

As for your 2010 G... swap in some new brake fluid and wait for 60K for the other things.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:20 PM
HoldmyMouse

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts
If you are planning to keep the car for a while then you have to throw them a bone here and there for them to help you. Most of the fluids are simply diy. If you really insist then do the diff fluid. All the other services aren't necessary yet. But they will bs you saying the fluids are dirty. It's best you check and know the condition of your car before bringing it in
Old 06-18-2014, 10:16 PM
MalbecG37S

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
As others have said - I do not believe most of those services are necessary at 30k. When you DO decide to have them done (and if you are not into DIY) - shop around. Even checkout local Nissan dealerships - most will do the work. Remember - the G is mostly a Z underneath...and Nissan dealerships are usually much cheaper than Infiniti.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:38 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Brake fluid is the only thing I would do on that list.

Quick Reply: 30K service yikes