G37 Sedan

Q50 headrest

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 07:53 PM
Riley
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Q50 headrest

hi guys - I know there's a few threads on headrests but not sure about on the Q50.

After discussing with my brother about the headrests on my G37 and his infiniti (forget the model but similar seats), we both ended up thinking that these headrests really suck as they push your head forward. Very uncomfortable after awhile and after you start thinking about it.

I learned from this forum to flip it around the other way on the G37 and it's now great. Granted probably not as safe but it was just driving me nuts.

Now I'm looking at the Q50, it's likely even worse and due to the shape, it likely won't flip backwards without looking really weird.

any suggestions guys?

Doesn't this bother others? how have you addressed it?
Old 06-14-2014, 08:49 PM
LexiG37

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Doesn't bother me one bit. I think the G has great headrests. I HATED the headrests in my old 2004 BMW 530, they were like 6" behind my head!
Old 06-14-2014, 09:29 PM
MalbecG37S

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
I've had other cars that almost tilted my head down. I find the headrests in both the Sport & 'normal' seats to be quite comfortable...
Old 06-15-2014, 07:29 PM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
When I bought my 2010 over 4 years ago I started a post complaining about the headrest bending my head forward, but all the replies said they had no problem.
I would turn it around now then which helped and adjust my seat tilted back, but it still was annoying.

I gave some thought on bending the rods a bit, but never did.
Now 4 years later I must have got use to it, because it doesn't bother me anymore.

I have test driven a lot of cars and that is one of the things I look for now.
Compared to a lot of other brands the G37 headrest doesn't seem so bad.

My BIL has a Lincoln SUV that I can't sit properly in the front passenger seat.
I have to sit sideways and forward or the headrest is like torture.
I've wondered why there aren't more people that find them uncomfortable.

Tom
Old 06-16-2014, 01:43 AM
Riley
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks, I was really asking about the Q50 (which I think is worse than the G).
it's on my list of things to check as well. Weird how this can easily become a show stopper
Old 06-16-2014, 06:56 AM
Adam West
Registered Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Never gave the headrests any thought on the G - they work well for me. I'm starting to see other manufacturers like Subaru provide adjustable headrests that allow the amount of tilt to be adjusted forward if the default position is not enough.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:54 PM
10Gee37exeS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I like the angle of the G's headrests. In my WRX and GTO they are fixed and inline with the seat backs. At the angle I have my seat back they point towards the headliner over the back seat, not much support if rear-ended...My e36 M3 I was able to tilt them forward and they provided the perfect support that way...and they look just like the angle in G...Oh just sat in a Q50S...I like those headrests even better! I like the SEATS much better in general than my G's Sport seats!
Old 06-16-2014, 04:55 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
The Gs headrests were angled a little bit too far forward for me but I reclined the seat back a little bit and it took care of it. I use to drive with the seat at close to a 90 degree angle, but I reclined the seat back a little bit to counteract the angle of the headrest, not gangster style. Have you given that a shot?
Old 06-17-2014, 05:43 AM
RA081224
Banned

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Riley
hi guys - I know there's a few threads on headrests but not sure about on the Q50.

After discussing with my brother about the headrests on my G37 and his infiniti (forget the model but similar seats), we both ended up thinking that these headrests really suck as they push your head forward. Very uncomfortable after awhile and after you start thinking about it.

I learned from this forum to flip it around the other way on the G37 and it's now great. Granted probably not as safe but it was just driving me nuts.

Now I'm looking at the Q50, it's likely even worse and due to the shape, it likely won't flip backwards without looking really weird.

any suggestions guys?

Doesn't this bother others? how have you addressed it?
When I first drove my G, the headrest pissed me off so much I took it off and tossed it in the rear seat. The headrest should not touch the back of your head while driving but should be about 1" or less behind it. In most cases, if it touches your head, your going to push against it and wind up with a whopper of a headache after a spirited drive. Its also a P.I.T.A. when turning to check the lane to your left.

Since that time Ive found that there is a sweet spot of adjustment between headrest height and seat back tilt that accomplishes the same thing. All in all, it would be simpler to put a variable tilt mechanism on the head rest but that would upset the corporate bean counters
The following users liked this post:
Riley (06-19-2014)
Old 06-19-2014, 09:32 AM
G37CPA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Recline your seat back just a tad more, and you will be fine.

Re: Q50. Likely when you drive the car, you will not like it anyway. Way too quiet and the ride puts you to sleep. If you get the package with the drive-by-wire, you will hate it. And the big plastic screen with the touch buttons with all the settings glares very badly. The G is a much better value, and more responsive and fun car to drive, and looks better anyway. Save some money and upgrade what you have to a 2013 G. You will say thousands and be happier at the same time. I went from the end of my 2011 G lease recently, and the 2013 shifts great. I had intended to get into a Q50, but decided on either another G37, or else go to Lexus for the IS350.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:55 PM
nissanlvr

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I've found the headrests in my G to be quite comfortable. I think they're just about perfect. They're close to the back of my head without pushing my head forward.

Something that some people seem to forget is that headrests are actually head restRAINTS, and their main purpose is to prevent neck injury in rear impacts, not comfort. However, I understand how annoying and uncomfortable it is when head rests push your head forward. Maybe tilting your seat back about an inch or so would make it more comfortable for you?
Old 06-22-2014, 01:42 PM
Yazovets

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I think the headrests in the G are very good actually.

The most comfortable headrests I've ever used were in the Mercedes E-Class - they are so plush and supportive...
Old 06-27-2014, 11:18 AM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Strangely, even though the headrests adjusts in the G and Q I think they're less comfortable than some seats where the headrests are fixed. Weird but true.