Thinking about buying a G sedan

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 11:07 PM
GKSSJ4
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about buying a G sedan

Hi everyone,

New to the forums here, and I've been interested in getting a used '10- '11 G37 AWD.

Not sure when ATM (just waiting until my '98 Dodge Grand Caravan with 280,000+ km to kick the bucket lol), but I am sure it's only gonna be a matter of a few months, or whenever I finally get stranded on the side of the road .

I just wanna hear what everyone's thoughts in regards to overall build quality, and reliability as I am thinking about getting a G with between 80,000- 100,000km (i.e. 50k to 70k Miles).

Also done a bit of digging around and I noticed that the 7AT is a sealed unit, but has anybody managed to drain&fill it somehow and know how much that job cost? I have my doubts that the fluid itself is a "lifetime" product.

Many thanks in advance guys!
Old 06-13-2014, 11:12 PM
gsm026
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I've had two, an '09xS and '11 6MT. The worst issue I had was needing to turn the front rotors on the '09 after 23,000 miles.

Greg
Old 06-15-2014, 08:20 AM
flipmode007
Premier Member

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by GKSSJ4
Hi everyone,

New to the forums here, and I've been interested in getting a used '10- '11 G37 AWD.

Not sure when ATM (just waiting until my '98 Dodge Grand Caravan with 280,000+ km to kick the bucket lol), but I am sure it's only gonna be a matter of a few months, or whenever I finally get stranded on the side of the road .

I just wanna hear what everyone's thoughts in regards to overall build quality, and reliability as I am thinking about getting a G with between 80,000- 100,000km (i.e. 50k to 70k Miles).

Also done a bit of digging around and I noticed that the 7AT is a sealed unit, but has anybody managed to drain&fill it somehow and know how much that job cost? I have my doubts that the fluid itself is a "lifetime" product.

All I want to say, if you decide to get it take the extended warranty this is what happen to me:

I bought my 09 with 77 000 km Canadian and bought the extended warranty now I have 126 000 km on it and so far I had to replace:
1-the cruise control sensor and had a new radio install the cost was
$11 000 tks God for the warranty

2- a new battery

3- the power steering is leaking will be getting the new part in a week appointment book for June 23

4- had to replace the fog light on my own and had to replace the rotors and pads, they were asking $700 to have the rear done, had my friend replace them for $150.

the valve stem cover are cracking and they're asking me $200 to replace just one???

5- Im waiting for that one or else I will trade it in lol
Old 06-15-2014, 08:40 AM
AUR11

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
It's not an unreliable car, but I would be less hesitant with a Lexus or Acura with that many miles, however the G will be more fun to drive and mine has had some minor little annoyances but no real reliability issues. I say go for it, I looked at about 15 different options before picking the G and it is really hard to beat this car for the money you pay. I have just about every potential luxury feature in a car, sweet exhaust note, great performance and the awd in my opinion actually makes this car really fun to drive.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:59 AM
e3phung

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
i have a 2010 g37x sedan and I must say its one of the best cars I have ever owned. I have the extended warranty strictly for any electronic failures. I dont have any worries about the drivetrain.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:51 AM
PERMAT

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome.

Yesterday, the dealer (Field's Infiniti in Glenview, IL) flushed my 7AT for $195.00.

I had inquired about drain and fill going forward, but the service tech did not recommend it, instead recommending I return in 4 years (60k miles) for another flush.

My '10 G37xS had 48,220 miles when this service was done.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:58 PM
ian7stringer

I'm satisfied with my '12 G. The best part is my buddy from nissan says they can service it, it will be so much cheaper than doing my maintenance at infiniti.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:04 PM
bluedevils95

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
I have a 08 g35 w/ 66k miles and a 11' m37 w/ 44k miles. So far pretty good and very happy e/ these cars
Old 06-15-2014, 04:11 PM
Adam West
Registered Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
I haven't had too many issues with my 09 G37x, but there has been a couple of annoying ones. First issue was the rear-transfercase output shaft seal was leaking, took me a couple of times at the dealer to finally get a replacement seal under warranty that held. Be sure to have someone check under the car for any black residue around the output shaft area or leaks down the case.

Also, I've had the driver's side catalytic converter replaced under base warranty because the catalyst became loose and started rattling. The passenger side is doing it now as well. You can easily hear if they are broke inside by raising the rpm just above idle to around 1100rpm and listen for a metallic rattle under the car.

So aside from those mechanical issues the car has been pretty solid. I've also lucked out and do not have any major squeaks or rattles inside the cabin as others talk about commonly. The OEM Goodyears are pretty soft and wear quickly, expect replacement before 30k (usually 25k). The car also likes to go through the rear brake pads before the fronts as I've already replaced them around 30k.
The following users liked this post:
flipmode007 (06-15-2014)
Old 06-15-2014, 06:32 PM
michg37

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
My first set of rear pads were gone at 15k....oem tires wear out fast and car tends to rattle on the interior when it gets cold out. Other than that really good car
Old 06-15-2014, 09:33 PM
flipmode007
Premier Member

Originally Posted by ian7stringer
I'm satisfied with my '12 G. The best part is my buddy from nissan says they can service it, it will be so much cheaper than doing my maintenance at infiniti.
in that case I will bring mine at Nissan when the warranty is over
tks you
Old 06-16-2014, 01:01 AM
GKSSJ4
Registered Member

well, TBH I'm still quite new to any kind of car buying, but how do you get an extended warranty on a used G?

Thanks everyone else out there! Great responses. Keep them coming!
Old 06-16-2014, 09:06 AM
chris_s

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I bought my 2009 a bit more than a year ago, at 100k km. Actually had it shipped here from toronto.

I have an extra 25k on it now, no issues other than oil changes. Actually I had a sticking rear caliper a few months after buying, replaced it and no issues.

I do all my service at my corner shop, but again nothing more than oil/filter so far. It's a nissan, not a bentley.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:42 AM
flipmode007
Premier Member

well, TBH I'm still quite new to any kind of car buying, but how do you get an extended warranty on a used G?

Thanks everyone else out there! Great responses. Keep them coming!
The dealer will ask you if you want it in the package and make sure to check under the hood for any leak, ask them about when was the last time the coolant and fluid were replace and try to get some winter tires too, something I forgot to ask, was there any update done to it. Something I forgot to do when I purchase the car but everyone would understand my reason, I was to excited to get it out and drive like I stole it on the highway
Old 06-16-2014, 07:29 PM
GKSSJ4
Registered Member

Originally Posted by flipmode007
The dealer will ask you if you want it in the package and make sure to check under the hood for any leak, ask them about when was the last time the coolant and fluid were replace and try to get some winter tires too, something I forgot to ask, was there any update done to it. Something I forgot to do when I purchase the car but everyone would understand my reason, I was to excited to get it out and drive like I stole it on the highway

Lol did you do a pre-purchase inspection before you bought your car? :P

Somehow I have a feeling that like 99/100 of the used car dealerships (esp the 3rd party ones) here in Toronto are full of BS.

Also;;; would it be better to get the vehicle pre-purchase inspected at an independent Infiniti dealership, or with an independent mechanic?

What would be some of the things that a professional mechanic can't see?

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying a G sedan