G37 Sedan

Warranty Running Out..ANY PROBLEMS I should Check For??

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 08:47 PM
riba89

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Warranty Running Out..ANY PROBLEMS I should Check For??

Hi,

My original warranty is running out in 20 days. 2010 G37x has only 13,600 miles and I don't see/hear any problems. Anyone knows anything I should look for/into and check to see if its alright. Any problem areas? Just anything that you think might be good to get replaced/checked out before the warranty runs out. Trim, molding...anything???

Thanks
Old 06-02-2014, 02:11 AM
mathnerd88
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
If you're really concerned, just take it into the dealer for a full checkup. It may cost money, but at least you will have peace of mind.

These cars are pretty bulletproof, and since you only have 13,600 miles I doubt you'll see any problems, if at all when it is used so sparingly. Just make sure you're up to date with maintenance.
The following users liked this post:
riba89 (06-02-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 02:33 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by mathnerd88
If you're really concerned, just take it into the dealer for a full checkup. It may cost money, but at least you will have peace of mind.

These cars are pretty bulletproof, and since you only have 13,600 miles I doubt you'll see any problems, if at all when it is used so sparingly. Just make sure you're up to date with maintenance.
^

+1

Just take it in for an oil change

They do a complete check as well as a wash and vacuum of your vehicle.
your vehicle is practically brand new.

Telcoman
riba89 (06-02-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 08:20 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
If you haven't had any transmission updates I'd look into that.
riba89 (06-02-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 09:35 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
My wife and I were having this same discussion over the weekend.

My 2011 will be out of bumper-2-bumper warranty in March 2015. I currently have 19K miles on the car. And from what I can tell (online) without discussing this at the dealership, as long as I'm under 20K, then I can purchase an extended warranty for another 7 years or 120K miles, for somewhere around $2K. At least, that's the take-away from some quick googling. Obviously, I could benefit from better, more solid details.

The question being: is it worth it? The only reason I'm considering this is because my clutch slave cylinder blew out last week, and the warranty repair would have cost me north of $1500 if I had to pay out of pocket. So that's the argument for it.

The argument against is pretty convincing, too. Less than 1:5 people use their extended warranty in excess of its cost. The G37 is has a good reliability reputation. And (!!) I've modified my car, and will continue to do so. I strongly suspect the dealership will look to blame my mods before standing behind a warranty. Also, extended warranty repairs often are contingent on regular service, which I don't subscribe to. I get things serviced on my own schedule, and not always at the dealership; plus, I change my own oil with synthetic, and I don't have records of that.

Figure I've another month or two before the 20K mark, but I'm leaning towards not buying it.
riba89 (06-02-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 09:42 AM
AUR11

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
My dealer had said that if I had a manual transmission car I should have an extended warranty, they keep them on hand because they go through them so quickly, they said the auto's are rare for replacement. My car came with a lifetime powertrain warranty with a $50 deductible and I can take it to Infiniti. My B2B is about to run out in a few months and I just had all my rattles addressed, mufflers, throttle bodies, cv boots and transmission software update done as well as some interior trim pieces that were looking worn out, I'm at 45k miles now.
riba89 (06-02-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 10:03 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
My wife and I were having this same discussion over the weekend.

My 2011 will be out of bumper-2-bumper warranty in March 2015. I currently have 19K miles on the car. And from what I can tell (online) without discussing this at the dealership, as long as I'm under 20K, then I can purchase an extended warranty for another 7 years or 120K miles, for somewhere around $2K. At least, that's the take-away from some quick googling. Obviously, I could benefit from better, more solid details.

The question being: is it worth it? The only reason I'm considering this is because my clutch slave cylinder blew out last week, and the warranty repair would have cost me north of $1500 if I had to pay out of pocket. So that's the argument for it.

The argument against is pretty convincing, too. Less than 1:5 people use their extended warranty in excess of its cost. The G37 is has a good reliability reputation. And (!!) I've modified my car, and will continue to do so. I strongly suspect the dealership will look to blame my mods before standing behind a warranty. Also, extended warranty repairs often are contingent on regular service, which I don't subscribe to. I get things serviced on my own schedule, and not always at the dealership; plus, I change my own oil with synthetic, and I don't have records of that.

Figure I've another month or two before the 20K mark, but I'm leaning towards not buying it.
I've thought about this too.

My concern is I'll have no leverage to negotiate this, and I know they are huge margin makers for the dealership. When I bought my '10 Legacy GT I opted for the extended warranty because of the turbo. $1800 for 10/100,000 with a $100 deductible. Ended up getting it for $400

Originally Posted by AUR11
My dealer had said that if I had a manual transmission car I should have an extended warranty, they keep them on hand because they go through them so quickly, they said the auto's are rare for replacement.
I don't believe this for a minute. A dealer would never tie up thousands of dollars of their own capital to keep 6MTs sitting on a shelf in the back for out of warranty repairs. I bet 10% of these cars, tops, are manual. Dealers aren't swapping out 6MTs on that frequent of a basis
Old 06-02-2014, 10:15 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Here's another cold dose of reality: automotive problems have a heightened visibility online, where enthusiasts are routinely talking about their cars. This is an aggregate of a small minority, and not necessarily representative of real-world statistics.

Regardless, I'm still going to talk to the dealership and see what they can offer. Need to make an educated decision.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:19 AM
Vance67

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
The rear subframe buching, make sure it hasn't popped open and leaked the silicone in it. this usually only happens under aggressive driving but is some what common. If it's not fixed under warranty it can be 1400-2000 to fix because the bushing it self cannot be replaced, they need to replace the whole rear subframe.

I have had it done under warranty, but others in the forum have said their dealership wouldn't, but I'd check. You can see what you're looking for if you search it, but look to see if there is a fluid leak, looking from the back of the vehicle near the rear differential

Hope that helps
riba89 (06-02-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 10:26 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Rochester--would the CSC not have been covered under the extended powertrain warranty?
Old 06-02-2014, 10:33 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Rochester--would the CSC not have been covered under the extended powertrain warranty?
I don't think so. Pretty sure the clutch isn't covered beyond the basic 4/60, and for some reason INFINITI lumps the CSC in with the clutch as a wear item. But IDK for sure. Like I said, I need specifics before deciding for sure one way or the other on this option.

And you know, an upgraded clutch & lightweight flywheel are on my long-term mod list, so I figure to replace the CSC with aftermarket at that point, too. Assuming that mod ever happens.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:37 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
I don't thing so. Pretty sure the clutch isn't covered beyond the basic 4/60, and for some reason INFINITI lumps the CSC in with the clutch as a wear item. But IDK for sure. Like I said, I need specifics before deciding for sure one way or the other on this option.

And you know, an upgraded clutch & lightweight flywheel are on my long-term mod list, so I figure to replace the CSC with aftermarket at that point, too. Assuming that mod ever happens.
Yeah, just searched. The thread I linked in the chat thread said no to powertrain, yes to infiniti elite warranty.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:27 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
The CSC while not covered in the powertrain warranty should be covered under the extended warranty (if purchased).

The rear subframe bushing can be replaced without replacing the entire subframe assembly (search the forum for more details).

It's a tough call whether or not to buy the warranty. Chances are you'll lose money or it'll be a wash. If you figure $2K over 7 years, that's $285 a year, or $24 a month for peace of mind. If you can swing that, go for it. Is this infiniti elite care that's being offered or some third party warranty?

Mine '12 is at ~13K miles right now, 5 1/2 years of warranty (inc. extended) remaining. We'll see what issues I have with it over this period to determine if I'm keeping the car, getting another warranty or what. If I recall, I paid something like $1300 or $1400 for the 4 years additional coverage, $100 ded.
riba89 (06-02-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 11:50 AM
riba89

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AUR11
My dealer had said that if I had a manual transmission car I should have an extended warranty, they keep them on hand because they go through them so quickly, they said the auto's are rare for replacement. My car came with a lifetime powertrain warranty with a $50 deductible and I can take it to Infiniti. My B2B is about to run out in a few months and I just had all my rattles addressed, mufflers, throttle bodies, cv boots and transmission software update done as well as some interior trim pieces that were looking worn out, I'm at 45k miles now.
1st: THANK YOU TO ALL for your great info!!!

2nd: AUR11, can you go into more details about the things you have replaced and why. Which rattles, why mufflers, why throttle bodies, why cv boots and which interior pieces?

3rd: I have done the the transmission TSB, drivers door weather strip, for what ever reason my passenger window is noisy( regulator replaced and now motor will be replaced this week), im sitting in the waiting room having my steering wheel trim piece replaced and rear back window is rolling up slow(this is also being looked at).

4th: Will look into the other things you guys suggested. Subframe Bushing.

5th: I got a quote from the Infiniti of Scottsdale LuxuryProtectionPlan.com. I asked my dealer what is covered under the Elete warranty and its only the big parts, no trim, squeaks or rattles. The prices are very inticing, but I dont think its worth it as these cars are relatively well bulit....but again its very tempting.

"G37 w/13600 miles and still under original warranty (available terms and price will change once you exceed 20k).

$0 Ded
36mo/48k=$450
48mo/48k=$560
48mo/60k=$720
60mo/60k=$860
60mo/70k=$1180
72mo/82k=$1650
84mo/100k=$2050
96mo/100=$2580"

Thanks again and any other info is much appreciated!!!

Last edited by riba89; 06-02-2014 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:56 AM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
OP - have a look at your sunroof molding and trim. the last item i had replaced under warranty before my B2B expired was the sunroof assembly. the shiny black plastic trim piece that surrounds the glass panel had small cracking around the entire perimeter of the sunroof. the entire sunroof cassette had to be replaced since it comes as one assembly.

i also had the two front door rubber moldings replaced under warranty. they were both showing signs of wear for some reason, but i think that was how i got it (2nd hand). so i waited until just before B2B expired to have them replaced.

these issues caused no serviceability concerns - yet, just cosmetic flaws. but i am rather particular with my ride so i'll take any opportunity to exhaust the warranty claims and improve appearance and long-term performance.
riba89 (06-02-2014)

Quick Reply: Warranty Running Out..ANY PROBLEMS I should Check For??