G37 Sedan

My Straight Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 04:16 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
There are places on earth where a straight pipe setup is not illegal. I'm not a fan, personally, but people often try to transplant their local law onto others. Oklahoma, for example, has no emission testing, or vehicle inspections.
I’m sure there are places on earth where test pipes are legal, but so far in this thread all posters are from somewhere in the USA where they are, of course, street illegal. And your comment that Oklahoma had no emission testing seems to be saying it’s OK to break the law there. I just don’t grasp that logic.

And the definition “test pipes” in itself is a convoluted term perhaps invented by auto parts magazines to legally advertise such items and get around the law. Perhaps where they’re legal they should be called “noise pipes” or “toxic emission pipes” or even “I’ll do anything to gain 5 hp pipes.”
Old 06-02-2014, 07:20 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 334 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by ScrewstonNismo
I honestly prefer the exhaust I have now to almost all exhaust I've heard.
Can't say I've heard any modified exhaust in person, but all of the muffler delete videos sound much better to me as well. And admittedly I'm not at all concerned about performance gains of an a/m exhaust, only reason is sound and to a much lesser extent looks.

Really thinking about doing this eventually, only thing really holding me back is the possible negative attention it could draw (either by LE or knucklehead drivers)
Old 06-03-2014, 10:01 AM
08Gsmith25

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
we can pretty much do anything we want in tennessee, at least as far as emissions and exhaust configurations go. i have seen people get pulled over for stuff being too loud, but that would have to be extremely loud, like mustang V8 with straight pipes loud, to happen.

my thoughts are how can they not pull over all the harleys that are obnoxiously loud if they are going to pull over a modded 6 cyl?
Old 06-03-2014, 12:33 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

The point I was trying to make is NOT if you’ll get pulled over for this illegal mod or not. Rather, it’s a matter of being a law abiding citizen and a responsible driver. Sorry for this old man being preachy again, but I get tired of some attitudes around here that go no further than, “If I can get away with it, then it’s OK to do, and the hell with everybody else.”
Old 06-19-2014, 01:43 AM
mike_g37s

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm currently running on a muffler delete. It sounds better then a $1500 Ark system to be honest. Pm me if you'd like to see how I got and done and what it sound like
Old 06-19-2014, 11:16 PM
35Sport

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by cecrops
Here in Florida we have no emissions testing or vehicle inspections but that doesn't make the test pipes legal either. I removed the cats on one of my other cars and when I needed some work done to my car I learned the hard way that most shops wouldn't even touch it. As soon as it would go on a lift they would bring it right back down and refuse to work on a car with no cats. YMMV

Wiki
"In the United States, for example, it is a violation of Section 203(a)(3)(A) of the 1990 Clean Air Act for a vehicle repair shop to remove a converter from a vehicle, or cause a converter to be removed from a vehicle, except in order to replace it with another converter.,<sup id="cite_ref-51FR150_24-0" class="reference">[24]</sup> and Section 203(a)(3)(B) makes it illegal for any person to sell or to install any part that would bypass, defeat, or render inoperative any emission control system, device, or design element"
Yep, but they never get under the car and check
Old 06-20-2014, 12:16 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Originally Posted by 35Sport
Yep, but they never get under the car and check
So, you’re just reiterating the mindset that as long as you can get away with it it’s OK and the hell with everyone else.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:26 PM
RPG11

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Chekov
So, you’re just reiterating the mindset that as long as you can get away with it it’s OK and the hell with everyone else.
Hey Chekov with all the respect you deserve they are not saying is ok to do it, they are talking about how it sound and/or compares to more expensive systems. So please dont turn this thread into one of many ''why are you braking the law thread''.. BTW this is coming from a police officer.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:21 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Originally Posted by RPG11
Hey Chekov with all the respect you deserve they are not saying is ok to do it, they are talking about how it sound and/or compares to more expensive systems. So please dont turn this thread into one of many ''why are you braking (sic) the law thread''.. BTW this is coming from a police officer.
Obviously, I don’t see it that way. The name of the game is to get around the law with no regard for others who will have to endure the loud noise and fouled air. What else could “they never get under the car and check” mean?

And as a police officer I’m surprised at your stance. I’m sure you wouldn’t approve of a hidden handgun in a vehicle you just pulled over that you couldn’t find.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:33 PM
kaoticdemize

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
I had muffler and resonator delete on my sedan before grabbing an exhaust, loud as ****, loved it and those back fires
Old 06-20-2014, 05:37 PM
kaoticdemize

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
I’m sure there are places on earth where test pipes are legal, but so far in this thread all posters are from somewhere in the USA where they are, of course, street illegal. And your comment that Oklahoma had no emission testing seems to be saying it’s OK to break the law there. I just don’t grasp that logic.

And the definition “test pipes” in itself is a convoluted term perhaps invented by auto parts magazines to legally advertise such items and get around the law. Perhaps where they’re legal they should be called “noise pipes” or “toxic emission pipes” or even “I’ll do anything to gain 5 hp pipes.”

You gain much more than 5hp with test pipes btw.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:48 PM
RPG11

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Obviously, I don’t see it that way. The name of the game is to get around the law with no regard for others who will have to endure the loud noise and fouled air. What else could “they never get under the car and check” mean?

And as a police officer I’m surprised at your stance. I’m sure you wouldn’t approve of a hidden handgun in a vehicle you just pulled over that you couldn’t find.
I understand your point of view. but look at it these way , have you seen how much black smoke comes out of a diesel truck? it is legal, also 70% of U.S merchandise is transported by big rigs, and you cant tell me we are going to hurt the environment more than them with just a simple decat. thats why i rather not be an *** to people with straight pipes unless they are obnoxiously loud.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:35 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Originally Posted by RPG11
I understand your point of view. but look at it these way , have you seen how much black smoke comes out of a diesel truck? it is legal, also 70% of U.S merchandise is transported by big rigs, and you cant tell me we are going to hurt the environment more than them with just a simple decat. thats why i rather not be an *** to people with straight pipes unless they are obnoxiously loud.
Pointing out one bad thing to justify another bad thing is an illogical argument. IMO the law against test pipes for street use is good public policy, and I’m sorry you disagree.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:47 PM
ScrewstonNismo

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts
Isn’t there anyone but me who’s concerned that these kind of mods are street-illegal? I mean we’re talking about noise, air pollution and a general disregard for the rule of law.
All I did was a muffler delete. All emissions stuff is handled by the cats. So to my knowledge, no, not illegal.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:51 PM
ScrewstonNismo

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by 35Sport
Muffler delete is what I'm currently running. Need to have some straight pipes made. Are your tips crooked?
Mine are ever so slightly crooked, so little so that you can't even notice.

Quick Reply: My Straight Pipes