G37 Sedan

Thoughts on my situation

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 01:26 AM
everix1992

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thoughts on my situation

So I've pretty much made up my mind that I want a G37 (Sedan preferred but would be fine with a coupe too).

Now, I need to decide whether I want a manual or an auto. I've been having a rough time deciding on this because I only just learned how to drive a stick today (on my aunt's jeep) and am not entirely confident in myself yet. But from what my friends and all you other G37 owners say, once you get the hang of it, the manual is absolutely worth the trouble of learning it.

However, there's a few things that are making me from just straight up jumping all over this. First of all, I live in Kansas so the snowy/icy winters lean me towards the auto since you get can the X model with AWD.

Second, there isn't a single manual G37 that I could find within 100 miles of me (66109), which makes it kind of hard to test drive one. As a result, my only real options for test drives are to bring in a free transfer from Carmax (Link) or to go test drive some older (2005ish) 100k mile G35s.

Not to mention the fact that I'd also have to do a paid transfer for a more reasonably priced G37 if I decided I want one. And that all the manuals seem to be more expensive than the autos. Everything seems to be working against me

Anyways, any thoughts on some alternative I might have missed?
Old 05-26-2014, 01:41 AM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
This is not meant to be rude but if you've ever doubted which transmission you'd rather have then you never wanted the manual in the first place. What I mean by that as a manual connoisseur I will most likely drive a manual until the day I die or until my leg falls off. Keep in mind I'm saying all this even when I think the manual trans offered in the g37 is its weak point. My suggestion to you is by the car that suits you're driving needs because you don't want to end up regretting it.
Old 05-26-2014, 01:45 AM
everix1992

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AroundTheG37
This is not meant to be rude but if you've ever doubted which transmission you'd rather have then you never wanted the manual in the first place. What I mean by that as a manual connoisseur I will most likely drive a manual until the day I die or until my leg falls off. Keep in mind I'm saying all this even when I think the manual trans offered in the g37 is its weak point. My suggestion to you is by the car that suits you're driving needs because you don't want to end up regretting it.
See, I've seen other people mention that if I wasn't sure, I probably shouldn't go with it, but I also thought that might be due to the fact that I'm not a seasoned veteran with them yet.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:55 AM
calijoker
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally , I say go for the auto. Just throw it in DS mode if u want the manual shifting w/o the clutch of course. I was forced to learn how to operate a manual shift when I got hired at carmax a few years ago. After driving a car on the lot in first gear while holding the clutch down and not being able to figure out how to put it in reverse (04 Audi TT roadster) so I left it on neutral and pushed it back . I know , I know shame on me. But I figured it out eventually. Even though I learned how to operate one, I still wouldn't trust myself with owning one in fears of me messing it up.

Last edited by calijoker; 05-26-2014 at 02:55 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-26-2014, 08:16 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,721 Likes on 3,527 Posts
The 6MT is a much more personal, interactive driving experience. Just is.

Do yourself this solid while you've to opportunity and inclination to do so.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:17 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by AroundTheG37
This pretty much sums it up.

100 miles isn't a large search area, could you expand it a bit? The only manual I could find to test drive before ordering my car was a G37 convertible at CarMax. Might a manual 370 be close enough to be a reference point?

Everyone has to start off with a manual somewhere. I didn't have any idea how to drive my first stick, dealer drove it home for me and I took him home in my parents car. That was 1996, haven't owned an auto since
Old 05-26-2014, 09:19 AM
pontiacstogo

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by everix1992
First of all, I live in Kansas so the snowy/icy winters lean me towards the auto since you get can the X model with AWD.
That would make the decision for me - I have an X because my G37 is my daily driver, and the winters here in Central PA can be harsh and unpredictable.

Manuals are definitely more engaging, but my summer vehicles are manuals, so I get my manual fix when the weather is nice.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:15 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,721 Likes on 3,527 Posts
If you can't locate a 6MT for a test drive, go take a 370Z for a spin. Close enough... Except for the lighter weight, total lack of visibility, and that rev-matching manual on the downshift. Still don't understand why that feature never carried over into the INFINITI.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:06 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
If you need or strongly prefer AWD, an automatic is for you. Most people who drive manual transmission G's will try to browbeat you by telling you it's a better driving experience, it's the only way to go, an automatic isn't a real sports car, etc. It really depends on your individual circumstance which is best for you. Need AWD? Get auto. Have problems with your left knee or leg? Auto. Drive in lots of stop and go traffic? Auto. Lots of hills in an urban area? Auto. Want a manual transmission experience and have none of the problems or needs previously mentioned? 6MT!

The fact that you can't find one in your area tells you that dealers don't sell many of them where you live. You're more likely to find them in milder climates like the Deep South where there is only a mild winter or it seldom snows.

I have both a coupe and a sedan and both are manual. I like them and used to say that everyone should experience the car that way. But rather than always advise every in to get 6MT, I have come to realize that it's not for everybody in every situation.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:06 AM
AUR11

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
I live in KC and bought an X for the weather. However my last car (Lexus IS300) was fantastic in the snow with snow tires. If I could go back I'd do a 6mt sedan and get snow tires. I will admit though that with the swift springs, potenza s04's on 19" wheels and the sport rear sway bar has made my car quite fun to drive, the awd system really does make this car stick to the road on corners, plus awd in the snow is really fun.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:11 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

If you need AWD and want a manual....subaru legacy GT
Old 05-26-2014, 11:16 AM
Infinitard
Premier Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I went back in forth for a few weeks in my head deciding whether I should go manual or flappy paddles and AWD, and I have to say I am so relieved I didn't let my pragmatic side of my brain win this one. A good set of snow tires will do wonders for the few days a year that there is snow accumulated on the roads and the big brakes, deeper connection with the road, better resale value and sport suspension are the icing on the cake for the manual.

You seem to be in a bit of a different situation though, you have never owned a manual car and don't know if it is for you. Be patient and try and find a 6mt you can drive before you make any decisions. The transmission is different to say the least.

I waited months to find the right car and when I did it came from Minnesota. (I'm in New York) Autotrader and cars.com are your friends.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:22 AM
AUR11

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
If you need AWD and want a manual....Audi S4
I fixed it.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:32 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by AUR11
I fixed it.
Not for the same price as a G37x or LGT, unless its a high mileage car thats been beat to ****.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:05 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
if you do get a manual, are you going to be comfortable enough to drive it in winter ?
but you do have enough time to get good at it.

I think florida has all the 6mt's

Quick Reply: Thoughts on my situation