Thoughts on my situation

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 03:03 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
A clutch or 3 or 4

Even on the car I learned to drive stick on, I've never had to replace a clutch in 18 years of driving manual. It's quite a stretch to say that frequency of replacement should be a consideration.
If you properly drive a stick your clutch should be good for 200k miles

You are more likely to have auto transmissions issues over 200k miles.
Higher maintenance costs as well.

Telcoman
Old 05-28-2014, 01:38 PM
WhiteG_6MT

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by everix1992
Not to mention the fact that I'd also have to do a paid transfer for a more reasonably priced G37 if I decided I want one. And that all the manuals seem to be more expensive than the autos. Everything seems to be working against me

Anyways, any thoughts on some alternative I might have missed?
First, I had to drive 3 hours to a large city get my 6MT sedan, and it took me a while to find it. 100 miles isn't that bad when you're looking for a needle in a haystack -- IE a RWD Japanese sedan with MT and a decent engine.

With regard to the MT option on the G and you being a novice MT driver - I find the G37, with its powerful engine, close ratio transmission, and quick clutch engagement, to be one of the more difficult to drive (smoothly) MTs I've ever owned.

It took me some seat time to be able to drive this car smooth enough that my passengers' heads weren't bobbing back and forth at every gear change.

That said, it is an excellent car and the 6MT makes it stand head and shoulders above its AT-only competition IMHO.

I would suggest driving a G37coupe or a 370Z with the 6MT if you're serious, as those have the same engine/transmission as the sedan and will give you a good idea as to the clutch feel and shifting.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:52 AM
pwas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I actually bought a '10 6MT sedan in KC in January and while it's really fun to drive, I find myself wishing I had bought an xS instead.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:06 PM
everix1992

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just thought I'd give an update. I chose to go with the go with the X because the MT was stretching my budget a bit and I didn't think I'd be able to find one within my time frame.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:45 AM
DBall

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Franciswildcat
Shawnee KS checking in. I bought an x from carmax a couple months ago. Leaked oil 3 days later. Took it back. Rear main was leaking after they failed to tell me they did an engine swap after metal shavings were found in oil pan. I gave them the car back instantly.
Holy ****... that sounds absurdly shady!
Old 05-31-2014, 08:19 AM
brizey

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
I would have got a manual, but I do a lot of stop and go, and my wife cannot drive a manual. We have no family around, so we have to be able to back each other up in emergencies.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:19 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,721 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Originally Posted by everix1992
Just thought I'd give an update. I chose to go with the go with the X because the MT was stretching my budget a bit and I didn't think I'd be able to find one within my time frame.
There was a brief time when I was considering the xS Coupe, instead of the 6MT Sedan. I didn't go that route, but it's always in the back of my head as a replacement option if the Sedan got totaled for whatever reason.

Points being:
  • Cars aren't forever, even though we seem to make decisions thinking they are.
  • The G is an excellent choice, regardless of model, so it's all good.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:37 PM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Both transmissions aren't very good regardless...

That being said, I had an 08 6MT Sport, and now an 13 37xS and everyone on here knows that I am kicking myself to this day for getting rid of that car. Most people I know are like "Whats the difference?? Its the same car!" and it just ISN'T. They change so many tiny things on this AWD party barge that combined give this car a completley different personality. The 7AT is godawful and combined with the Attesa AWD create an incredible amount of drivetrain drag when you take your foot off the gas (adding to the **** mileage I average). The Ford Transit connect I drive for business has a 2.0 Focus engine and a 4 speed automatic and that car coasts significantly better and its as archaic as the VQ. That is in addition to this 7AT which cant make up its mind, flairs shifts, clunks, and is just overall infuriating. The suspension is soft and plows when pushed, expect to wear out your front outside tires because of how much push and understeer this car has. Around town it just rides firm and somewhat uncomfortable. You would expect it to handle well with how firm it feels but no, it just lets you down.

If you get a 6MT expect the transmission to be clunky and notchy and make a lot of unpleasant noises that don't seem befitting of a $42,000 car, but every other issue i listed above is gone and it overall puts a smile on your face. I would recommend winter tires if you deal with snow though. I have driven these cars on even the best A/S with RWD and it is just not secure like some posters above make it out to be. Those tires are not severe weather rated with the mountain snowflake symbol and should not be used in the snow. Some people refuse to drive on season specific tires and are too stubborn to ever change. A stock G35/G37S sport with a good set of summer rubber like Michelin Pilot Super Sports will surprise you. The car is very engaging and fun to drive. Light and poised and feels flickable given its size. The AWD though, again, don't get me started even more than I already did... this car has literally made me hate Infiniti and I will not be buying another.