G37 Sedan

Thoughts on my situation

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 01:10 PM
everix1992

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those of you that did buy a manual, did you end up having to pay more for it than an auto (buying used, not new).

The other catch is that I've only got two weeks to find one since I'm currently driving my parent's car until I move out.

Last edited by everix1992; 05-26-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 01:24 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by everix1992
For those of you that did buy a manual, did you end up having to pay more for it (buying used, not new).

The other catch is that I've only got two weeks to find one since I'm currently driving my parent's car until I move out.
Manual equipped sedans are a rare breed so yes, in general you will pay more for it vs. an auto G.

I just did an autotrader search for 2011 and up manual equipped sedans and it only returned 40 across the whole freaking nation.

I then changed it to automatic transmission in the search and a whopping 3,551 were returned.

Gives you a good idea of rare the manual ones are, no? With that said, most dealers don't know their *** from a hole in the ground so you can most likely get them down to similar auto G37 prices provided you can find one close to you. Good luck.
Old 05-26-2014, 01:35 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
OP - it sounds like you have a few constraints that may create a problem if your goal is a 6MT G37S sedan. look on cars.com and cast a wider net. this will tell you what is available and where to find it. for test driving ahead of that, look for 6MT G37S coupes or 370Z's. close enough.

if you are an enthusiast and have your heart set on a 6MT then this search is worth it. otherwise i suggest going with the XS model. or, look at other makes that offer AWD + 6MT - BMW, Subaru, Audi to name a few. then you'll have the best of both worlds.

i live in Canada and have no issue with 6MT, although we get mild winters where i am. and i don't drive in heavy snow, that's what the wife's SUV is for.

as for pricing, i'm not clear of your question. buying used is cheaper than buying new of course. regardless, to get a 6MT sedan you will have to buy used since you can't get a new 6MT G sedan any more, 2013 was the last year for that (or was it 2012?). 6MT models come pretty much loaded up with options (except for AWD) so pricing is nearer the top end of the scale for G sedans.

being a manual likely doesn't affect the price within the range too much. perhaps you could get a discount if you found a 6MT in a non-6MT market. the dealer might recognize the model as being "hard to sell" and price it accordingly.

i've always been amused when dealers say that manual cars are "hard to sell" when negotiating trade-ins, but then they turn around and advertise the cars as "hard to find" or "rare" when they list them. there are enough enthusiasts out there waiting to snap up a manual model when they come available. i sold my previous '04 6MT privately (for $6k more than dealer trade in offers) in all of 2 days from when i listed it, and was beating off other interested parties.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:20 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,721 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Originally Posted by canucklehead
regardless, to get a 6MT sedan you will have to buy used since you can't get a new 6MT G sedan any more, 2013 was the last year for that (or was it 2012?). 6MT models come pretty much loaded up with options (except for AWD) so pricing is nearer the top end of the scale for G sedans.
2013 was the last year for the 6MT Sedan, and the last year for the Sport Package on both the Journey and the AWD. Although technically a separate model, the 6MT Sedan is just a Journey with the Sport Package and a manual transmission. AFAIK, starting in 2011, the 6MT came with the Premium Package as standard equipment.

OP, as stated here, it's not an easy car to locate without travel and patience. If you only have two weeks to get this done, it's easier to target a Coupe 6MT, or just get an AT and move on.

Good luck.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:56 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
I would have jumped on the manual 6MT sedan if not for the crazy traffic jams that occur EVERY DAMN DAY from 7-9AM and from 3-530PM around my parts. It's what is best for you and your driving conditions in my little opinion. The 6MT is a lot of fun to drive if you have the conditions that do it with. I would have regretted the 6MT. Now, I just drive in DS mode shifting how I want until traffic comes to a crawl.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:23 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by guy from norcal
if you do get a manual, are you going to be comfortable enough to drive it in winter ?
but you do have enough time to get good at it.

I think florida has all the 6mt's
Not all of them!

As for snow, it was not a problem getting home with my new Michelin Pilot AS3's in a raging NJ snow storm. Vehicle handled well on ice and hard packed snow.

It just couldn't get me up my driveway thru 8' of un plowed snow prior to shoveling.

Name:  2014-02--07MyPictures020714-005_zpsed2f1a06.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  103.3 KB

Telcoman
Old 05-26-2014, 05:30 PM
Franciswildcat

Shawnee KS checking in. I bought an x from carmax a couple months ago. Leaked oil 3 days later. Took it back. Rear main was leaking after they failed to tell me they did an engine swap after metal shavings were found in oil pan. I gave them the car back instantly. Took my money to Conklin over in kcmo and bought a super clean low mile sport. Love it. Had exhaust and springs on in the first week. Intake is sitting in garage ready to go. I would stay away from carmax unless u are just selling a vehicle.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:34 PM
skeener

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by everix1992
So I've pretty much made up my mind that I want a G37 (Sedan preferred but would be fine with a coupe too).

Now, I need to decide whether I want a manual or an auto. I've been having a rough time deciding on this because I only just learned how to drive a stick today (on my aunt's jeep) and am not entirely confident in myself yet. But from what my friends and all you other G37 owners say, once you get the hang of it, the manual is absolutely worth the trouble of learning it.

However, there's a few things that are making me from just straight up jumping all over this. First of all, I live in Kansas so the snowy/icy winters lean me towards the auto since you get can the X model with AWD.

Second, there isn't a single manual G37 that I could find within 100 miles of me (66109), which makes it kind of hard to test drive one. As a result, my only real options for test drives are to bring in a free transfer from Carmax (Link) or to go test drive some older (2005ish) 100k mile G35s.

Not to mention the fact that I'd also have to do a paid transfer for a more reasonably priced G37 if I decided I want one. And that all the manuals seem to be more expensive than the autos. Everything seems to be working against me

Anyways, any thoughts on some alternative I might have missed?
If you're not sure, you don't want as stick. It's that simple.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:59 PM
AUR11

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Franciswildcat
Shawnee KS checking in. I bought an x from carmax a couple months ago. Leaked oil 3 days later. Took it back. Rear main was leaking after they failed to tell me they did an engine swap after metal shavings were found in oil pan. I gave them the car back instantly. Took my money to Conklin over in kcmo and bought a super clean low mile sport. Love it. Had exhaust and springs on in the first week. Intake is sitting in garage ready to go. I would stay away from carmax unless u are just selling a vehicle.
I'm down the road from you on the plaza.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:21 PM
Franciswildcat

Originally Posted by AUR11
I'm down the road from you on the plaza.
Nice. I'm new to the Nissan/Infiniti family. Have you modded your XS at all? I have plans but worried about fitment. Looking to see in person before I take the step.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:03 PM
AUR11

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Franciswildcat
Nice. I'm new to the Nissan/Infiniti family. Have you modded your XS at all? I have plans but worried about fitment. Looking to see in person before I take the step.
I've got swift springs, oem lip, spoiler, midnight grlle, 19x9 oem anniversary convertible wheels all around, akebono brakes that I need to put on still and a 370z rear sway bar and yellow fog light bulbs and some LED's. You should join KCSR if you aren't already on there, there's actually a cars and coffee event coming up this saturday that I'll potentially be at, depending on when we plan to take the boat out to the lake.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:05 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 332 Likes on 253 Posts
Spent few days last week driving g37 journey (rwd), obviously a fine car, but will not satisfy you if you truly want stick shift. In fact, the 6MT combined with brakes, steering, susp upgrades really does offer a much more enthusiast-oriented drive, certainly not for everybody, but if it is for you, you're doing yourself a disservice by getting a 7AT sedan.

That said, if you're only issue was time/location, I would strongly suggest figuring out some way to test drive and buy a 6MT sedan, but since it seems you're on the fence, perhaps a journey AWD sedan would be best for you
Old 05-26-2014, 08:48 PM
Franciswildcat

Originally Posted by AUR11
I've got swift springs, oem lip, spoiler, midnight grlle, 19x9 oem anniversary convertible wheels all around, akebono brakes that I need to put on still and a 370z rear sway bar and yellow fog light bulbs and some LED's. You should join KCSR if you aren't already on there, there's actually a cars and coffee event coming up this saturday that I'll potentially be at, depending on when we plan to take the boat out to the lake.
I did the kcsr thing when I had my s2000 and Evo. Where did u get ur lip and grill?
Old 05-26-2014, 09:11 PM
Finzel

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
..another thing for the op to consider is repair cost. If your new to manual trannies your gonna go through a clutch or three, or 4. If your not mechanically inclined to the point where you can swap out your own clutch., throw-out bearing, pressure plate etc...Infinites repair costs can be pricey.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:19 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by Finzel
..another thing for the op to consider is repair cost. If your new to manual trannies your gonna go through a clutch or three, or 4. If your not mechanically inclined to the point where you can swap out your own clutch., throw-out bearing, pressure plate etc...Infinites repair costs can be pricey.

A clutch or 3 or 4

Even on the car I learned to drive stick on, I've never had to replace a clutch in 18 years of driving manual. It's quite a stretch to say that frequency of replacement should be a consideration.
The following users liked this post:
telcoman (05-27-2014)

Quick Reply: Thoughts on my situation