G37 Sedan

After hours of research purchasing these mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 10:47 PM
Neomist
Patawan

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
After hours of research purchasing these mods

Ok so I'm somewhat new to the G37 world. I just purchased a brand new one last week. I just order a set of used 2012 IPL 19 rims and some Michelins that will be installed this Wednesday. I am also ordering Thursday or Friday (depending on the feed back here the following:

I want a throaty exhaust, with absolutely no ricer or drone tone to it. It makes me vomit and IMO its stupidly annoying and I live in residential area. I'm in my late 30's so racing or tracking isn't my thing I just like have a sweet ride that will preform well while driving well. I have a sedan RWD.

Fast Intentions

Stillen 402847 Generation 3 Ultra Long Tube Dual Intake Kit Infiniti 09+ G37 Sedan V36 - performance parts

AP Racing Radi-CAL Front 6-Piston Big Brake Kit - G37 V36 Free Shipping! - performance parts

HKS 80155-AN012 Hipermax III Sport Coilover Kit Infiniti 07-08 G35 Sedan RWD, 08+ G37 Coupe RWD, 09+ Sedan RWD CV36 - performance parts

Am I missing anything? I may not buy from these particular vendors (going to shop around the next couple days to see who give the best deal on all these)

Opinions? Please give me some constructive criticism. My budget is about 10k.

Thanks Justin

Last edited by Neomist; 05-19-2014 at 11:01 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:53 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
For 10k, go GTM twin turbo or twin supercharger.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:58 PM
Neomist
Patawan

I thought about that, but I believe I would completely void my factory warranty. These other mods might do that as well. Im not too drastically concerned with it, but if I can keep it I liked to. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Neomist; 05-20-2014 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:41 PM
HoldmyMouse

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts
It really depends on what you are going after. If you are going for form, then I personally would skip the AP BBK because it's super overkill unless I really got the dough. A simple OEM Akebono with 2 piece rotor and pads should do the trick for fraction of the price. I personally prefer Ark or Stillen exhaust over all the other competitors. Coilovers would be a must but I don't have much knowledge about them. And by not getting the AP BBK, you should have plenty leftover for maybe OEM lip and trunk spoiler. And best yet, none of the items mentioned should void any warranty.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:54 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
That's quite the list
Haven't heard a lot of reviews on the HKS coils, saw some on the 350z boards a while back but nothing recent. KW3s seem to be the coil of choice around here for the $1800 budgets, have you considered them?

Fast Intentions is a solid choice, are you going to keep your OEM cats or are you planning to change them too?

Those AP brakes are impressive, are you just upgrading the fronts or are the backs in your plans as well? Have you considered the Stoptech sets?

I'm assuming the IPL wheels will clear the AP calipers but not sure.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:59 PM
Neomist
Patawan

I am super concerned over the exhaust. Not many folks in my area have moddifed g37s so it been hard getting a sense of how the exhaust sounds... youtube is kinda of a crap shoot. If the AP BBK is over kill what about the 4 piston Brembos?
Old 05-20-2014, 12:06 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Neomist
I am super concerned over the exhaust. Not many folks in my area have moddifed g37s so it been hard getting a sense of how the exhaust sounds... youtube is kinda of a crap shoot. If the AP BBK is over kill what about the 4 piston Brembos?
The 6 piston front/4 piston rear Wilwood set is still overkill for a daily driver but you could get the whole F&R set for less than the front APs. And they are very good looking in person
http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Bra...+Brakes&whl=17
There's also a 14" Front set not listed but the part #s are 140-11584, 140-11584-D, 140-11584-DR, 140-11584-R

Last edited by blnewt; 05-20-2014 at 12:13 AM.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:17 AM
Neomist
Patawan

Originally Posted by blnewt
That's quite the list
Haven't heard a lot of reviews on the HKS coils, saw some on the 350z boards a while back but nothing recent. KW3s seem to be the coil of choice around here for the $1800 budgets, have you considered them?

Fast Intentions is a solid choice, are you going to keep your OEM cats or are you planning to change them too?

Those AP brakes are impressive, are you just upgrading the fronts or are the backs in your plans as well? Have you considered the Stoptech sets?

I'm assuming the IPL wheels will clear the AP calipers but not sure.

No but will look at them.

Going to stay with OEM cats

Upgrading front and backs. No but was looking at Brembos (as well)

Last edited by Neomist; 05-20-2014 at 12:30 AM.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:39 AM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
I'm not sure if I understand why you're so keen to upgrade the brakes. You said you're not looking to track or race your car so what's the point?

If you have the G37S then just keep the Akebono and upgrade the pads and rotors. If you don't have the S then just buy a pair of OEM sport brakes and save some money and get them painted a different color.

Plus I don't get the point in spending $3,500+ on a BBK for a daily driver that will never see the track...

Last edited by '11G37S; 05-20-2014 at 06:47 AM.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:44 AM
omega13

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have to agree there. The akebonos are really good breaks for any street driving. I have the 4 piston brembos I put on my firebird. Te ones on the 370z are the same as the cts-v, evos, and new camaros. The reason the g has the akebonos is they are a quieter brake setup. Seeing as this is a luxury car it makes sense. The brembos are better, but not hat much that you should throw money at a problem that isn't a problem. Just my two cents. Also the berk high flow resonators are nice and onyl make sound when you floor it. If you want to tune. Bully dog is a safe way to get a little more out of these cars safely. Nissan dealers sold them for a while and covered them under warranty I have heard.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:51 AM
HoldmyMouse

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Neomist
It's hard to base off YouTube because of the quality of the recording device. But from the consensus of the clips, Ark has more VQ burble followed by Stillen hence my recommendation. Secondly the decibels are not off the chart like others. Stillen is louder and much more noticeable and Ark design is sexy and sounds just right IMO.

And again, save your money and get OEM Akebonos and use the extra money to upgrade the swaybars, end links, strut bars, camber arms, etc.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:52 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by '11G37S
I'm not sure if I understand why you're so keen to upgrade the brakes. You said you're not looking to track or race your car so what's the point?

If you have the G37S then just keep the Akebono and upgrade the pads and rotors. If you don't have the S then just buy a pair of OEM sport brakes and save some money and get them painted a different color.

Plus I don't get the point in spending $3,500+ on a BBK for a daily driver that will never see the track...
He said he purchased a brand new G37, and I don't think they make the S anymore, so he has the base calipers. Agree though, pick up a set of Akenonos and be done with it.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:30 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
I think you're missing the boat if you're not adding sway bars and and a set of aftermarket cats. Those two mods will make the biggest difference to the car.

It's a good list although I would go with Akebono BBK and KWV3 coil overs personally.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:46 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Cats and Sways are the two most significant (and cost-effective) bolt-on mods for power and handling on this car... and they're not even on your list. The FI catback is a solid product, but get comfortable watching the calendar for build and delivery. As stated, those brakes are overkill. $3500? WTF, man!? Heck, even the OEM Akebono brakes are overkill for a DD.

I think you should consider those hours of research as a down-payment on weeks of research. Better yet, get comfortable with the forum and take a few months. There's no hurry, and the best decisions are the ones that take time.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:55 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
OP, you have a RWD Sedan... but didn't say whether or not it has the Sport Package. Coilovers installed immediately on a RWD-Sport seems like a waste of a few years having an already excellent suspension. Ditto on the brakes.

Quick Reply: After hours of research purchasing these mods