G37 Sedan

After hours of research purchasing these mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 08:33 PM
Neomist
Patawan

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Cats and Sways are the two most significant (and cost-effective) bolt-on mods for power and handling on this car...
Anyone know if replacing the stock cats voids the factory warranty? Car only has 200 miles on it.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:43 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
The Akebonos for a daily driver are plenty and are up to track duty as well.The bigger rotors and calipers provide a lot of heat sinking to prevent fade and will run much cooler than your stock brakes when you're really pushing your car. Here's a great thread showing just how nice you can make these calipers look if you want to go w/ some custom paint
https://www.myg37.com/forums/picture...rs-thread.html
And if you want a more "show" look you can go w/ slotted & drilled rotors which look pretty hot but don't really do much for the actual brake performance.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:49 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by Neomist
Anyone know if replacing the stock cats voids the factory warranty? Car only has 200 miles on it.
Nothing really voids the factory warranty, just the components the mod might impact.

You won't have an issue if a power window motor goes bad.

However, blow the motor and I could see a dealership trying to claim the aftermarket cats were responsible for it. You could likely successfully fight that, but it would take time and potentially money.

It's up to you if the ~10 HP that high flow cats bring to the table is worth it.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:50 PM
Neomist
Patawan

Originally Posted by Rochester
In that context, $3500 on a BBK, but no sways or cats... that seems wrong.
I completely agree with you. Just need to figure out if installing cats will void my factory warranty.

Man l've learned a lot today. I think I am going to give it a month or two an implement these upgrades one at a time, instead of all at once. I do sometimes get a little to motivated with modding... my wife hates it,

Thanks again.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:17 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
However, blow the motor and I could see a dealership trying to claim the aftermarket cats were responsible for it.
Haha, wow. Trying to freak him out, are you, Lego?

No. However, some dealerships are predisposed to blame aftermarket parts for problems. Also, state inspections may or may not be problematic, which is something entirely dependent on the state you live in... Assuming you're in the US.

200 miles? It's a baby! Welcome to the forum, OP.

Last edited by Rochester; 05-20-2014 at 09:36 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:15 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

I completely agree with you. Just need to figure out if installing cats will void my factory warranty.

Man l've learned a lot today. I think I am going to give it a month or two an implement these upgrades one at a time, instead of all at once. I do sometimes get a little to motivated with modding... my wife hates it,

Thanks again.
Always nice to step back and reevaluate when it comes to multiple mods. Sounds like you want a great looking, great sounding and great handling car.
What you've been talking about will check off a lot on the list. You just need to prioritize what you want. Starting w/ the sway bars is a good plan, then take it from there. Sway bars + coilovers should check off the handling. Spend as much time comparing sound clips that you can, although this is tough to get accurate comparisons as most audio sources have enough variance, but put enough time into this and you can get a good feel for the differences. If you live in an area where there's some active meets w/ Gs you could get a better real world grasp of the actual exhausts first hand.

As far as Cats, you mentioned a pretty large budget available for your car so if that's indeed your working budget I think HFCs should be included (assuming like Rochester mentioned that they're feasible in your particular state).

I would seriously consider the KW3s for the coils and since you are wanting premium parts, the SPL line of camber arms would be a good choice, the SPC arms and toe bolts are also a good option but SPLs are a notch above.

There's also some great things you can do w/ your headlights to give them a custom look and give a very sharp, crisp cutoff and just a much better overall look. This can be pretty reasonable and if you have the desire to DIY, there's plenty of resources on the site.

Fun thread you started here, hopefully your head isn't spinning too quick
Old 05-21-2014, 12:44 PM
Neomist
Patawan

Originally Posted by blnewt
Haven't heard a lot of reviews on the HKS coils, saw some on the 350z boards a while back but nothing recent. KW3s seem to be the coil of choice around here for the $1800 budgets, have you considered them?
After looking at your comment you were exactly right. The KW3s do seem to dominate the forums.

There seems to be two different sets:

KW 35285007 Varient 3 V3 Coilover Kit Infiniti 08+ G37 Coupe CV36 : Free Shipping! - performance parts

http://www.conceptzperformance.com/C...296.61.123.208

I realize one describes the coupe and the other sedan (I have the sedan), but why the extra cost and items for the coupe version? And is this cost just for the front or front and rear?
Old 05-21-2014, 02:17 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

After looking at your comment you were exactly right. The KW3s do seem to dominate the forums.

There seems to be two different sets:

KW 35285007 Varient 3 V3 Coilover Kit Infiniti 08+ G37 Coupe CV36 : Free Shipping! - performance parts

KW 10285007 V1 Coilover Kit 07-08 G35 Sedan, 09+ G37 Sedan, 08+ G37 Coupe 2WD - performance parts

I realize one describes the coupe and the other sedan (I have the sedan), but why the extra cost and items for the coupe version? And is this cost just for the front or front and rear?
The coupe & sedan coilovers are interchangeable, the sedans always seem to get left out but they will work for either RWD model.

The top link is a KW Version3 this has adjustable height and adjustable damping, the lower link is a Version1 which is only height adjustable. The KW1 should be fine for daily driving and occasional track duty, the KW3s would be the choice if you really want to track the car more than just occasionally. Might try to contact a member that has KW1s just to verify the firmness of the ride since they're not adjustable. From all I've read they're set pretty nice from the factory, firm but not teeth chattering
Old 09-07-2014, 03:59 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by BeachmanQ60
Yes Stillen does install.....whether you purchase from them or not.....they've been great for me so far getting me in and out quickly. BTW after using the Eibach springs we maintained factory specs without using a camber kit. vance is also correct about stacking mods....unfortuantely stated gains don't all add up when combined with one another...I wish they did.
Beachman, would you mind sharing what Stillen charged to install the catback & Gen 3 intake, along with the charge for the Uprev tune? I live in San Diego, but my company also has it's corporate office off of the toll road in Newport Beach, so I'm up that way alot and have heard good things about the team in Coasta Mesa. I also like keeping the spend local to socal if possible.