G37 Sedan

After hours of research purchasing these mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 02:39 PM
Vance67

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I think gains are relative. I meant that if person A puts on FI RHFC and gets 15HP and person B puts on the Stillen G3 and gets 15HP, I'm not going to be able to stack those two mods and get 30HP. It's really hard to find dynos of isolated mods. Everyone has a baseline then adds an intake, then an exhaust, so I think it's hard to say what is the biggest bottleneck or best mod. Berk HFC on stock 6MT Coupe: https://www.myg37.com/forums/intake-...no-tested.html +9 HP, easily in line with intake or exhaust only results. And HFCs are a PIA to DIY, so I think you have to factor in the cost of the mod and installation relative to something easier to DIY such as an intake or exhaust.
I did misunderstand about stacking & you're right.

Ease of DIY is important, but I wasn't really talking about ease of DIY or cost to install. It is important, but I wouldn't over look or put off a mod I thought I was important because I would have to pay someone to install it. For me, I look at the most important mods, research the companies & different styles they have for that mod, then, if I need to, will save up for the best one regardless if I can install it myself or how easy it is. I don't want to miss out on an important mod from a great company because it's more expensive or because I can't install it myself...within reason FI TT kit for 10K is a great mod, but I don't have that dough, nor do I want to save for that.

But that's my opinion & how I've decided to do my car, that's all, no right or wrong way when it comes to your car, just your way
Old 05-20-2014, 03:46 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 177 Likes on 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Neomist
Can you recommend a decent swaybar? Sorry I this post is now going in several different directions and I'm rethinking my decisions.
Hotchkis FTW. I believe they're the most firm, but I could be wrong. They are the largest sways out there to my knowledge. I have them and they rock.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:02 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 177 Likes on 116 Posts
On the brakes, I would get a set of Akebono's and pick up a set of Racing Brake 2-piece rotors for all 4 corners. The fronts are 8lbs lighter than the stock rotors and the rears are 4 lbs lighter.

Front:
Two-piece rotor (Open Slot) - 370Z (Sport) FRONT 2009

Rear:
Two-piece rotor (Open Slot) - 370Z (Sport) REAR 09-11

I have them and they've been a great upgrade. The braking performance over the stock Akebono's is very noticeable.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:07 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by twin_snails
Hotchkis FTW. I believe they're the most firm, but I could be wrong. They are the largest sways out there to my knowledge. I have them and they rock.
The Hotchkis are certainly the biggest, 35/28 mm, the Eibachs are 32/29. Are the Eibach sway bars hollow like the Hotchkis? Mine seemed pretty heavy.....

Also, according to the Hotchkis website, only the rear bar is adjustible:

Hotchkis Sport Suspension

I think the Stillen sway bars offer the most adjustment.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:11 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by twin_snails
On the brakes, I would get a set of Akebono's and pick up a set of Racing Brake 2-piece rotors for all 4 corners. The fronts are 8lbs lighter than the stock rotors and the rears are 4 lbs lighter.

Front:
Two-piece rotor (Open Slot) - 370Z (Sport) FRONT 2009

Rear:
Two-piece rotor (Open Slot) - 370Z (Sport) REAR 09-11

I have them and they've been a great upgrade. The braking performance over the stock Akebono's is very noticeable.
Saving weight is never a bad thing, but $2000 for rotors on a car that isn't going to see the track seems like overkill
Old 05-20-2014, 04:32 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
I think the Stillen sway bars offer the most adjustment.
Stillen's sways have the same adjust-ability as Eibachs: 3+2 bolt options. Actually, I wouldn't put it past Stillen to simply re-brand them. Although they're selling Eibach's on their website side-by-side, for $8 less. That's kind of weird.

Saving weight is never a bad thing, but $2000 for rotors on a car that isn't going to see the track seems like overkill
Agreed. Since my 6MT comes with the Akebono BBK, it's a keeper. But I'm quite sure if I were modifying a Journey or AWD G, it wouldn't be on my list... unless I happened to have narrow-spoke wheels where the little brakes are obvious.

Last edited by Rochester; 05-20-2014 at 06:58 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:47 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Stillen's sways have the same adjust-ability as Eibachs: 3 bolt options in the front, 2 in the rear. Actually, I wouldn't put it past Stillen to simply re-brand them. Although they're selling Eibach's on their website side-by-side, for $8 less. That's kind of weird.
Stillen actually claims the front bar is 5 position adjustible, by utilizing alternative holes eg medium on one side, hard on the other. Seems like a gimmick but IDK.

Agreed. Since my 6MT comes with the Akebono BBK, it's a keeper. But I'm quite sure if I were modifying a Journey or AWD G, it wouldn't be on my list... unless I happened to have narrow-spoke wheels where the little brakes are obvious.
I'd probably want the Akebono BBK if I had a Journey or AWD too, but regardless, $2000 replacement rotors seem really expensive for street use. Rotors are just a heat sink, more aggressive pads are going to do more for stopping and fade resistence (followed by good fluid) than rotors.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:00 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Stillen actually claims the front bar is 5 position adjustible, by utilizing alternative holes eg medium on one side, hard on the other. Seems like a gimmick but IDK.
Wow. That's a pretty ballsy claim. Seems... kind of counter intuitive.

Here's a good question: have you ever changed the adjustment settings on your sways after installation? Even once?

Last edited by Rochester; 05-20-2014 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:27 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Here's a good question: have you ever changed the adjustment settings on your sways after installation? Even once?
Nope. Soft front, medium rear. Handles great

You?
Old 05-20-2014, 05:48 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Nope. Soft front, medium rear. Handles great

You?
Exactly the same. Matched with a FSTB and Michelin PSS, the car is on rails...

...all things considered for a heavy, luxo-sport sedan.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:57 PM
Vance67

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

You probably said it and I missed it, but what sways do you use?
Old 05-20-2014, 05:58 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

I'll have killed my S04 bridgestones by August/September, PSS go on then

Coupe 19s after I kill a set of PSS......
Old 05-20-2014, 06:34 PM
alfredo24pr

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Neomist
I am super concerned over the exhaust. Not many folks in my area have moddifed g37s so it been hard getting a sense of how the exhaust sounds... youtube is kinda of a crap shoot. If the AP BBK is over kill what about the 4 piston Brembos?
I have the ARK exhaust and it is low enough with throaty sound. all exhausts have drone but on my 7 A/T, it is very minimal and never gets annoying. I get annoyed easily with obnoxious exhausts sound, but the ARK seems to be a perfect fit for me. Fast Intentions is apparently a bit louder.

as for the big brakes, I think that is too much $ to waste, especially if you never plan on tracking the car and even more if your are staying N/A. It looks cool though.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:37 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Neomist, here's a couple sources for the Nissan/Infiniti Big Brake pkg. I like the Nissan set since it's gunmetal but both are exactly the same spec-wise
Akebono Infiniti Front and Rear 14 Inch Big Brake Upgrade Kit 07-08 G35 Sedan, 09+ G37 Sedan, and 08+ G37 Coupe CV36 - performance parts
Nissan Akebono BBK Big Brake Kit Basic Upgrade - Infiniti G35 G37
According to Ryne this is all you need (x4) for your OEM lines to work w/ the new set
Technafit Banjo Bolt w/ Washers for Akebono / Brembo Caliper - Nissan performance parts
Old 05-20-2014, 08:25 PM
Neomist
Patawan

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Neomist, here's a couple sources for the Nissan/Infiniti Big Brake pkg. I like the Nissan set since it's gunmetal but both are exactly the same spec-wise
Akebono Infiniti Front and Rear 14 Inch Big Brake Upgrade Kit 07-08 G35 Sedan, 09+ G37 Sedan, and 08+ G37 Coupe CV36 - performance parts
Nissan Akebono BBK Big Brake Kit Basic Upgrade - Infiniti G35 G37
According to Ryne this is all you need (x4) for your OEM lines to work w/ the new set
Technafit Banjo Bolt w/ Washers for Akebono / Brembo Caliper - Nissan performance parts
Wow these are a huge savings... over the brembos... for everyday driving do the have the same stopping power? I may have been just caught up in branding, I know brembo are suppose to be the best so I was just leaning in that direction, but these Akebonos are insanely cheaper... just curious on the performance (and I be lying if i wasn't going for looks as well).

Thanks for all the great input on this thread. It has me rethinking a lot of stuff.

Quick Reply: After hours of research purchasing these mods