G37 Sedan

After hours of research purchasing these mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 11:16 AM
Vance67

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Also, my .02,

From the research I have done, the Cats are the most restrictive part of the vehicle. As much as I wanted an exhaust, I opted to go Stillen Gen 3 intake and Fast Intentions RHFC's first, mostly because of money. To me it didn't make sense to get an aftermarket exhaust and still have restriction in the cats. Next year, when I get my tax returns, I will get a Fast Intentions, Motordyne or Ark CBE, but like you am trying to hear them in person.

As far as intakes, the gen 3 is a little more involved in the install, but easy, that was the first mod I ever did, and well worth it. Through my research and based soley on my opinion, I think it is the best intake.

As far as brakes, the Brembo or Wildwood is overkill. I too want larger brakes, but money is tight for me so I'm sticking with the Akebono and upgrading the rotors and pads.

As far as coilovers, again, from my research and opinion, it seems that KW V3 are great. I do not have them, but when I buy coilovers these are most likely what I will go with.

For tires, if you get no snow, I think the Michelin Pilot Super sport are great. I live in the Northeast but will be going with these tires over the next month or two, in the hopes that they are is great as my research has suggested and that it will give me an excuse not to drive it in the winter.

As I said, I don't have a lot of disposable income, but with that being said, I only want the best on my car, so I research the s**t out of everything, to the point I may get fired from work cause I'm on the computer so much, but also don't mind saving up to get exactly what I want. For example, my exhaust will be next year.

Also, I do want more power gains, so have thought heavily about the Stillen supercharger. Stillen has made a name for themselves working on Nissan/Infiniti's and as much as I think Fast Intentions is by far the best craftsman ship and customer service, I think the twin turbo kits for our cars are too expensive and take more maintenance. So if I do anything, it will most likely be the stillen supercharger in a year or 2. I will not go GTM with the horror stories I've heard.

I am not an expert on the G37, just have done a lot of research and these are my opinions. I think Fast Intentions is by far the best craftmanship and customer service, I've heard good things about Motordyne and I am still waiting for a call back for Alex at Ark from March. Exhaust note is a personal preference so hopefully you get to hear some, but I do think that you should not over looking the cats, if you don't have an emissions test annually, maybe go test pipes or resonated test pipes.

There is plenty of info on this forum with many members who are more than happy to help. Take advantage of your resources
The following users liked this post:
Varjo (05-21-2014)
Old 05-20-2014, 11:18 AM
Vance67

Originally Posted by Rochester
I strongly feel there's really no difference. Or at least, the differences are splitting hairs in a way that few people would notice unless they were tuning their suspension for a road track. And lets face it, this isn't the right car for that hobby. At least, not on a regular basis.

Hotchkis seems to be the best value, based solely on anecdotal evidence here on the forum.

No, that's a good thing. Slow down, and made good decisions based on long research. That's part of the fun, IMO. Truth is, I go years without actually implementing a mod that was planned on.
Absolutely the research is the most fun part, I have changed my mind so many times and may just by another G in a few years so I can try another setup while still having the setup I have now...or will have.

Don't get set on any mod, things change, do the best research you cxan, have fun with it, things can always be swapped out and sold if need be
Old 05-20-2014, 11:21 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
All kinds of good advice from Vance67.

Although it's amazing how quickly this gets old, and devolves into "use the search button". LOL

pebkac (05-20-2014)
Old 05-20-2014, 11:21 AM
nishfish871

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
No, that's a good thing. Slow down, and made good decisions based on long research. That's part of the fun, IMO. Truth is, I go years without actually implementing a mod that was planned on.
I am the same...got a long list of what could be what I do, after tons of more research I then narrow it down to the one that fit my wants (performance, sound, etc).
Old 05-20-2014, 11:43 AM
Vance67

All kinds of good advice from Vance67. Although it's amazing how quickly this gets old, and devolves into "use the search button". LOL
Thank you Rochester!!

It wasn't long ago that all I knew about the G was that it was an Infiniti & how to shift.

After all the help I have received from everybody, despite me double checking everything & probably annoying most ppl I asked for help, I feel much more knowledgeable about the G!

Again, use your resources!!

Side note...I will be doing a build thread soon so you guys can see what your help has accomplished & so you guys can see what I'm tying to do & add your .02
Old 05-20-2014, 12:46 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Vance-- I don't know that the cats are the most restrictive part on the car. If you browse around the stillen site looking at their dyno claims, they say the cat back picks up the most at 19hp, followed by the intake at 14-17hp (sedan/coupe) and then cats at 9-10hp.

Hard to make comparisons though since most people stack mods, and the results of individual mods on different cars don't usually add up when combined on the same car.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:33 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
To toss my.02 here and All the modding I have done over the last 2+ years.( includes a 457 WHP Sc build).

If you are going to stay NA I would agree with what some others have said, Get FIRHFC's biggest bang for the $$$, Intakes I honestly would look at Takeda cold airs, Same as Stillen WILL make the same power for less $$ and no cutting. Brakes for a DD are too much, Even with my build I stayed somewhat stock brakes, I just went EBC pads and slotted and drilled rotors, I had zero breaking issues. To spend your $$ wisly IMO would be , Cats, Sways, Takeda, and Coils. I wouldn't spent the $$$ the big brake upgrade. Unless your tracking it there is no need. And all off that would be half you buget, Pocket the rest, Or just do the full exhaust , Intake mani and tune now.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:41 PM
BeachmanQ60
Premier Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well it's time I chimed in on my basic mods to my 2014 Q60 S. I had originally planned on leaving things stock, Well thats lasted all of a day or two. It all started with tinting the windows, followed by a clear bra ....a very worthwhile investment on Ca freeways. With Stillen only a few miles from home the fun started Gen 3 CAI followed by their cat back exhaust. This was a good start but things didn't look right so progressed to Eibach sport Springs, threw in 25 mm spacers all around and finished off with a set of still sways front and back. While there I went ahead and changed the pulley as well. Local Infinit dealership had OEM sideskirts at a price I couldn't resist and thats where I am presently.
Most likely getting a tune soon......will dyno after that. At the moment I have a nice sounding well performing relatively stock daily driver.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:47 PM
Vance67

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Vance-- I don't know that the cats are the most restrictive part on the car. If you browse around the stillen site looking at their dyno claims, they say the cat back picks up the most at 19hp, followed by the intake at 14-17hp (sedan/coupe) and then cats at 9-10hp. Hard to make comparisons though since most people stack mods, and the results of individual mods on different cars don't usually add up when combined on the same car.
I don't know for sure, that's just what I've thought do to my research, but it may not be correct. When I was researching it, everything made sense that the cats were the most restrictive, but I'm not 100% positive that is correct though.

Also, it's hard to go by a manufacturers dyno numbers. Through all the posts I've seen, I still haven't seen anyone show that the intake adds 18.5hp like stillens website says.

Does HP gains correlate directly to HP gains? It would make sense that it does, but never knew that.

& you're right about stacking mods & again, this is my opinion & what I've concluded from my research, may not be right...but I think it is
Old 05-20-2014, 01:50 PM
Vance67

Originally Posted by BeachmanQ60
Well it's time I chimed in on my basic mods to my 2014 Q60 S. I had originally planned on leaving things stock, Well thats lasted all of a day or two. It all started with tinting the windows, followed by a clear bra ....a very worthwhile investment on Ca freeways. With Stillen only a few miles from home the fun started Gen 3 CAI followed by their cat back exhaust. This was a good start but things didn't look right so progressed to Eibach sport Springs, threw in 25 mm spacers all around and finished off with a set of still sways front and back. While there I went ahead and changed the pulley as well. Local Infinit dealership had OEM sideskirts at a price I couldn't resist and thats where I am presently. Most likely getting a tune soon......will dyno after that. At the moment I have a nice sounding well performing relatively stock daily driver.
That does sound like a nice set up. Did you notice anything with the pulley? I've thought about it, but had mixed reviews about it & if it actually helped or was worth it for the $.

I live in MA, no where close to Stillen, out of curiosity, if you go there, will they also install the parts if you pay them?
Old 05-20-2014, 02:03 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Neomist
I live in residential area. I'm in my late 30's so racing or tracking isn't my thing
My budget is about 10k.
Thanks Justin
Put the 10k in your 401k

You'll thank me on your 50th birthday

Telcoman
The following 4 users liked this post by telcoman:
hinomura (05-20-2014), Redfire32 (09-07-2014), twin_snails (05-20-2014), Vance67 (05-20-2014)
Old 05-20-2014, 02:10 PM
Vance67

Originally Posted by telcoman
Put the 10k in your 401k You'll thank me on your 50th birthday Telcoman
That is true, but I believe in enjoying your money. No one said you're guaranteed to make it to 50 or you won't have a stroke by then or an awful accident...god forbid. But just saying

Put 5K into the 401k & put the rest into the G...or the full 10K into the car if you have disposable income

IMO
Old 05-20-2014, 02:14 PM
BeachmanQ60
Premier Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes Stillen does install.....whether you purchase from them or not.....they've been great for me so far getting me in and out quickly. BTW after using the Eibach springs we maintained factory specs without using a camber kit. vance is also correct about stacking mods....unfortuantely stated gains don't all add up when combined with one another...I wish they did.
socketz67 (09-07-2014)
Old 05-20-2014, 02:18 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by Vance67
Does HP gains correlate directly to HP gains? It would make sense that it does, but never knew that.
I think gains are relative. I meant that if person A puts on FI RHFC and gets 15HP and person B puts on the Stillen G3 and gets 15HP, I'm not going to be able to stack those two mods and get 30HP.

It's really hard to find dynos of isolated mods. Everyone has a baseline then adds an intake, then an exhaust, so I think it's hard to say what is the biggest bottleneck or best mod.

Berk HFC on stock 6MT Coupe: https://www.myg37.com/forums/intake-...no-tested.html

+9 HP, easily in line with intake or exhaust only results. And HFCs are a PIA to DIY, so I think you have to factor in the cost of the mod and installation relative to something easier to DIY such as an intake or exhaust.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:31 PM
JerseyG37s

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Ok so I'm somewhat new to the G37 world. I just purchased a brand new one last week. I just order a set of used 2012 IPL 19 rims and some Michelins that will be installed this Wednesday. I am also ordering Thursday or Friday (depending on the feed back here the following:

I want a throaty exhaust, with absolutely no ricer or drone tone to it. It makes me vomit and IMO its stupidly annoying and I live in residential area. I'm in my late 30's so racing or tracking isn't my thing I just like have a sweet ride that will preform well while driving well. I have a sedan RWD.

Fast Intentions

Stillen 402847 Generation 3 Ultra Long Tube Dual Intake Kit Infiniti 09+ G37 Sedan V36 - performance parts

AP Racing Radi-CAL Front 6-Piston Big Brake Kit - G37 V36 Free Shipping! - performance parts

HKS 80155-AN012 Hipermax III Sport Coilover Kit Infiniti 07-08 G35 Sedan RWD, 08+ G37 Coupe RWD, 09+ Sedan RWD CV36 - performance parts

Am I missing anything? I may not buy from these particular vendors (going to shop around the next couple days to see who give the best deal on all these)

Opinions? Please give me some constructive criticism. My budget is about 10k.

Thanks Justin
you want an exhaust that will be quiet but give you the performance that would be the greddy exhaust i have.... quiet no rasp its a single massive mid pipe but in all honesty it makes more horsepower to the tire than most "dual" exhaust... i have a supercharger and that exhaust is extremely quiet on first start if you get on it than it gets a bit louder but other than that pretty quiet

Quick Reply: After hours of research purchasing these mods