Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Please don't be knocking ?

Ok really just started hearing this last weekend but
Thought I was crazy.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:55 AM
cecrops

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Whoa, careful revving it like that. I know you were making a video but I would be weary of even driving it until I knew for sure what the problem is.

What kind of oil do you use? Have you changed it recently? If you shredded the piston bearing you may be able to see it shredded in the oil.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:56 AM
AUR11

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
I'm really glad my car came with a lifetime warranty on the power train. It's about to hit 45k miles and my overall impression is that this particular car is not built to last. I'm due for a big promotion at my company in the next few months. I think my first order of business is going to be purchasing an s4 or getting another Lexus.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:09 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by ANMVQ
Ok really just started hearing this last weekend but
Thought I was crazy.
Did you purchase this vehicle new or used?

You didn't mention the mileage or whether you checked your oil recently.
I put almost 172k miles on my previous 06 G35 and the engine ran like new and never sounded like your video when I traded it in.
It also had 53 oil changes and I always added oil between oil changes. It sometimes used a qt in 1k miles.
Sounds like your vehicle was running without oil either now or in the recent past.
Sounds expensive to me.

Good luck

Telcoman
Old 04-27-2014, 12:18 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

To answer all at once bought the car used with 58k on it ,
Has 60k now it's still under factory powertrain warranty and I have the Infiniti wrap extended warrenty till 118k had it inspected and purchased the warrenty week I bought the car. I had my oil changed as part of my 60k , full synthetic and checked my oil again this morning , and it's full, and still clear.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:24 PM
Paratrooper

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
Head on over to the dealer and have them look at that. I wouldnt even be driving it, sounding like that. Sounds def like a rod bearing going bad.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:22 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

I made an apt yesterday , to drop it Saturday but I may call
Them tomorrow and have it towed with roadside. I just need to find away there to get a loaner . :/ I can't get a break can I :/
Old 04-27-2014, 02:07 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by ANMVQ
I made an apt yesterday , to drop it Saturday but I may call
Them tomorrow and have it towed with roadside. I just need to find away there to get a loaner . :/ I can't get a break can I :/
A membership in the AAA is a good investment. They will give you a free flatbed tow for up to 200 miles.

(09 Altima. No start. Ended up needing a steering wheel module. Covered under warranty.No charge for flatbed tow from AAA)

Name:  Altima030114011_zps90ec24c6.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  60.2 KB

You should be covered with the warranty. They also should have record of all work if it was done at an Infiniti dealer

Telcoman
Old 04-27-2014, 03:25 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
Eww, that doesn't sound good AMNVQ. My worst fear is starting up ANY of my vehicles and hearing something like that. Keep us posted as to what you find out about the issue. +1 for AAA.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:51 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Will do guys , roadside is Infiniti so the flat bed is free and will tow anywhere
Even if I was away on vacation say FL. Car beaks down and I have to return home for work before it's done thy two it to my home for free too, Boston. Wife has AAA also. I would just need a way to get there I get te loaner car . Just can't believe I just went trough this last year also.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:54 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Aw man final got to listen what my cookie was doing before it blew the rod on to the floor sounds the same DAMN IT
Old 04-27-2014, 04:19 PM
gsm026
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by AUR11
I'm really glad my car came with a lifetime warranty on the power train. It's about to hit 45k miles and my overall impression is that this particular car is not built to last. I'm due for a big promotion at my company in the next few months. I think my first order of business is going to be purchasing an s4 or getting another Lexus.

Aur11, you are entitled to your opinion. What I see is that many people with high mileage on the VQ and no issues. I would say that is true for the vast majority of owners. And ... do you really think an S4 is more reliable than a G37? I specifically skipped over the S4 after reading horror stories and looking at the reliability history.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:10 PM
AUR11

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by gsm026
Aur11, you are entitled to your opinion. What I see is that many people with high mileage on the VQ and no issues. I would say that is true for the vast majority of owners. And ... do you really think an S4 is more reliable than a G37? I specifically skipped over the S4 after reading horror stories and looking at the reliability history.
A lot of my friends own Audi's and they never have any issues with the besides minor things like a window motor issue that was covered under warranty. Most are 09/10's that are now in the 70k+ mileage range and they don't have interior rattles or any mechanical issues with their cars, almost like how my Lexus was. It's pretty embarrassing at the number of times my car just dies upon startup or has some sort of weird glitch and how cheap the interior sounds and how my transmission feels like its slipping even though I know it isn't. I like this car but I just don't love it. It's going to the dealer for warranty work on Friday and if they can sort out the issues I may keep it for a few years since it's almost paid off.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:04 PM
brizey

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by AUR11
A lot of my friends own Audi's and they never have any issues with the besides minor things like a window motor issue that was covered under warranty. Most are 09/10's that are now in the 70k+ mileage range and they don't have interior rattles or any mechanical issues with their cars, almost like how my Lexus was. It's pretty embarrassing at the number of times my car just dies upon startup or has some sort of weird glitch and how cheap the interior sounds and how my transmission feels like its slipping even though I know it isn't. I like this car but I just don't love it. It's going to the dealer for warranty work on Friday and if they can sort out the issues I may keep it for a few years since it's almost paid off.
I wouldn't trust this kind of anecdotal evidence for a mass produced product. There is only one decent source of reliability information: Consumer Reports. JD Powers is intrinsically biased. Their income comes from the manufactures using their logo and results...so you are not their customer and therefore have absolutely no reason to trust anything they say. ALWAYS follow the money...basic rule of life. The True Delta guys seems legit, but I remember when he first started he made a big deal about being unbiased, etc. yet had a car ad pop up on his ad feed. He seems like he cleaned up his act, but remember the rule above? He worked for his ad placers, not the people browsing the site. Consumer Reports only takes money from its subscribers, so if they want to stay in business they need to provide a product their subscribers are expecting. They are by no means perfect, but at least I have a reason to trust them.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:43 PM
Finzel

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm new to these cars but it sounds like a valve and with the OHC a camshaft along with it.

a thought; could it be burning rich? Maybe hydrocarbons igniting inside the cat(s)?

Last edited by Finzel; 04-27-2014 at 07:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Please don't be knocking ?