G37 Sedan

Please don't be knocking ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 07:51 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Just when things seemed to start going your way, G/L sure hope it works out well in the end.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:07 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
Oh man Mike, good thing you got the warranty. Hope it turns out okay.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:42 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Yea your telling me went out with the family last night and final didn't have to worry about answering the " what's that noise " :/
Old 04-28-2014, 09:18 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Called Roadside, They'll be here at 930am. An off to the dealer
Old 04-28-2014, 10:17 AM
dkmesa350z
Registered Member

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by AUR11
I'm really glad my car came with a lifetime warranty on the power train. It's about to hit 45k miles and my overall impression is that this particular car is not built to last. I'm due for a big promotion at my company in the next few months. I think my first order of business is going to be purchasing an s4 or getting another Lexus.
Dibs on the convertible wheels
Old 04-28-2014, 10:24 AM
glennp_2012

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Look at the bright side at worse case you will get a remanufactured engine maybe even a new one...maybe..
Old 04-28-2014, 10:26 AM
rm2342

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Damn dude, Hope it isn't serious!

Aren't all VQ's noisy on start up? Mine is very loud. Not sure what to listen for..
Old 04-28-2014, 11:05 AM
nissanlvr

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
OP: I'm no mechanic, but that doesn't sound good. Hopefully it isn't as serious as we all think it is. Good thing you've still got warranty. Best of luck.

Originally Posted by brizey
I wouldn't trust this kind of anecdotal evidence for a mass produced product. There is only one decent source of reliability information: Consumer Reports. JD Powers is intrinsically biased. Their income comes from the manufactures using their logo and results...so you are not their customer and therefore have absolutely no reason to trust anything they say. ALWAYS follow the money...basic rule of life. The True Delta guys seems legit, but I remember when he first started he made a big deal about being unbiased, etc. yet had a car ad pop up on his ad feed. He seems like he cleaned up his act, but remember the rule above? He worked for his ad placers, not the people browsing the site. Consumer Reports only takes money from its subscribers, so if they want to stay in business they need to provide a product their subscribers are expecting. They are by no means perfect, but at least I have a reason to trust them.
I agree with you that, while it isn't perfect, CR's reliability ratings are better than any other source. However, if you've flipped through a CR magazine recently, you would see that Audi (brand as a whole) actually ranks higher than Infiniti for reliablity now. Yep, Audi is more reliable than Infiniti. Pretty sad for a Japanese brand. The new Audi's seem to have greatly improved quality.

However, it will be interesting to see in a few years how reliable they remain. It could be that they're more reliable as new cars, but they have the same problems they used to as they get to be 5, 10 years old. We'll just have to wait and see.

I have owned other Nissan & Infiniti products in the past, and I have to agree with AUR11 that this car doesn't seem like it was built to last. Although my old I35 had plenty of quality problems, it seemed like it was built solidly. No rattles or squeaks, durable materials on the interior, etc. This G37 feels like a much cheaper car. (although it drives MUCH better!) Still, I have confidence that the drivetrain of the G will last 200k+. I don't think that the OP's problem is one that very many G owners experience. At least I hope it isn't.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:25 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Thanx nissanlvr, but we know it ROD knock, or think it is anyway, I just heard this with my coupe in 2012. But in to the tow,

WOW Really I called roadside at 745am, its 1123pm and still waiting???? The first place never called, and I get a call from FL at 1106am stating the tow truck left?? He was supposedly outside since 1030am, SURE cause they called and said we are here, now waiting for another truck.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:26 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by rm2342
Damn dude, Hope it isn't serious!

Aren't all VQ's noisy on start up? Mine is very loud. Not sure what to listen for..
you'll hear a slight ticking, Injector pulse like. But not this,
Old 04-28-2014, 01:43 PM
rm2342

Hope Warranty takes care of it for you.. Where did the car come from? for only 60k that shouldn't happen unless it was abused.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:15 PM
Adam West
Registered Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
I'll throw something out there - what about another video by the catalytic converters? Almost sounds very similar to the sound I'm having right now that is coming from the passenger side cat. Apparently these Infiniti cats aren't made that well and my drive side failed around 38k - honeycomb broke loose inside the body of the converter.

Made a nice rattling noise at idle and around 1000-1200rpm light throttle. Dealer was able to replace it under bumper-bumper warranty, but now my passenger side cat is going bad doing the same exact noise. It basically sounds like marbles in a can rattling around - most noticeable at idle or very low speeds. Dealer was able to confirm the passenger cat is also on the way out, but will not replace because it needs to throw a code this time since my base warranty is out. 80k federal emissions warranty will cover it, but only when it throws a bad cat code.

Some food for thought ANMVQ.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:30 PM
AUR11

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam West
I'll throw something out there - what about another video by the catalytic converters? Almost sounds very similar to the sound I'm having right now that is coming from the passenger side cat. Apparently these Infiniti cats aren't made that well and my drive side failed around 38k - honeycomb broke loose inside the body of the converter.

Made a nice rattling noise at idle and around 1000-1200rpm light throttle. Dealer was able to replace it under bumper-bumper warranty, but now my passenger side cat is going bad doing the same exact noise. It basically sounds like marbles in a can rattling around - most noticeable at idle or very low speeds. Dealer was able to confirm the passenger cat is also on the way out, but will not replace because it needs to throw a code this time since my base warranty is out. 80k federal emissions warranty will cover it, but only when it throws a bad cat code.

Some food for thought ANMVQ.
My cars doing this too, sounds like ****!
Old 04-28-2014, 07:23 PM
Adam West
Registered Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Not to derail this thread - how many miles AUR11? Any mods? I'm starting to hear more and more about these cases of cat failures - why the dealer says it's not common.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:53 PM
rm2342

Is it actual cat failures? or is the heat shield rattle which is very common?

Quick Reply: Please don't be knocking ?