G37 Sedan

WarrantyDirect.com Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 02:14 AM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 177 Likes on 116 Posts
WarrantyDirect.com Extended Warranty

After seeing Black Betty's (and a few others) experience with an oil gasket in this thread, I looked into some ways to mitigate the sizable out of pocket expense for the repair. I think Infiniti should have covered this for BB but they didn't. It would have been the right thing to do.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...xperience.html

I did wind up purchasing an extended warranty through WarrantyDirect.com after seeing two more guys have the dreaded oil gasket issue this week and it seems to occur depending on mileage and age of the car. I'm at 86.2k miles and this warranty gives me 37 months and 37,000 miles of additional coverage. I did put all but about 2,600 of those miles on my car as I bought it as a demo from the dealer. Yes, I was driving a lot but my driving has slowed down quite a bit so I expect to get the full additional 3 years of coverage and if I have the gasket problem, it's paid for itself. I opted for a no charge finance plan so it's only costing me a nominal amount every month but I look at it like I'm paying a little every month to avoid having to pay a LOT in one shot.

The warranty can be cancelled at any time and it is transferrable to another person if you happen to sell your car. Warranty Direct is the only company that is endorsed by Kelley Blue Book, which was a big factor in my decision to purchase. There are discounts available. I talked to Buddy and got discounts for the Kelley Blue Book referral, liking their Facebook page, and $150 off from something else that I can't remember at the moment. I'm not even on Facebook but my Dad is so that was good enough for them. Just gotta get Dad to like their page.

This probably won't matter to those that lease but I know many of us purchase and want to keep our cars for some time.

I researched and looked into Extended Warranties and how they work and wanted to share with the myG37 community for your education and benefit.

Disclosure: I do not receive any compensation or referral fees if anyone decides to get one of these warranties.

There are two types: Mechanical Breakdown Coverage (MBC) and Wear and Tear Coverage. Usually dealership extended warranty plans are of the MBC variety and are the most restrictive when it comes to paying out a claim. They will look for any reason to avoid paying said claim and when they do cover something, they don't pay the posted labor rate for the dealership and often, you're left with more out of pocket expenses. It's akin to getting a crown with dental insurance.

I asked a lot of questions and basically they give you a card and if you're in at the dealer getting service done and they find something major wrong, they contact Warranty Direct and they submit an estimate and it gets approved in 7 minutes or less, no questions asked. They pay the dealer over the phone and the most you're responsible for is a $100.00 deductible. They have zero deductible plans available but they were a few hundred more so I thought, hey, I can hang with a $100 deductible and opted for that plan.

I know the opinions will vary greatly on these kind of products. But for me personally, I wanted peace of mind because there are other things that I want to spend $3k on. The only caveat to this is that I do have to wait 30 days AND 1,000 miles before and if I do file a claim. Also there is no limit on the number of claims that you can file.

Here's an excerpt from my contract. I'll also throw a PDF in my dropbox account and post it for everyone.

Dropbox Link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ryj01yjdtt...nty_Direct.pdf

What is Wear and Tear coverage?

Wear and Tear is a much broader level of coverage than the mechanical breakdown only plans offered elsewhere. Mostly all Warranty Direct plans include coverage for wear-and-tear failure which provides coverage for parts that break as well as those that just wear out.

Most extended warranties define "mechanical breakdown" as a defect in parts and workmanship as supplied by the manufacturer, or a defect that makes the part unable to perform the function for which it was designed. Often, they will state that the gradual reduction in operating performance (wear-and-tear) is not covered. Service contracts that exclude wear and tear will not cover repairs needed because a part’s performance has gradually deteriorated because of normal wear and tear, unless a mechanical breakdown has occurred.

The more miles on a car when a repair becomes necessary, the more likely it is that the repair will be needed because a part is worn out, rather than because the part broke due to poor design or manufacturing. Again, many extended warranties do not cover parts that wear out.

Read more about wear and tear from the California Department of Insurance:
Guide to Automobile Repair Agreements

Damage due to overheating?

We do NOT have an overheating exclusion in our contract. While many warranty providers shy away from damage caused by overheating, Warranty Direct takes a much different approach. Although damage sustained when a vehicle overheats can be severe, we take care of all repair costs for covered components provided the vehicle does not overheat due to negligence and provided you act immediately to prevent unnecessary damage when your vehicle overheats. In fact, if your vehicle overheats and you require a tow or fluid replacement, Warranty Direct’s FREE 24x7 Roadside Assistance makes sure you get taken care of... fast!

The Claims Process:

Where can I take my vehicle for repair?

Our plan allows you to take your vehicle to a licensed repair facility of YOUR choice (dealer, national chain, local mechanic) and pays your claim quickly and efficiently via our corporate credit card. In fact, over 22,000 car dealers and repair facilities do business with us. Since we have been sold through dealers for over 30 years, our acceptance at a dealership or licensed repair facility is one of the widest in the industry. We can even help you locate a reputable repair facility anywhere in the US.

How are claims handled?

Simply present your Warranty Direct Membership ID to the service professional, who in turn will contact our claims department and you pay your deductible (if any). There is no paperwork and no limit on the number of claims you may have.

Handling your claim will be hassle free with Warranty Direct. No other company handles claims faster or more efficiently. We authorize claims in an average of seven (7) minutes or less. Our average time on hold is under one (1) minute and you’ll never get a busy signal when calling. It’s one reason car dealers sell over 10,000 of our plans every month. Our acceptance and claims handling ability are unmatched.

Warranty Direct VS The Competition

With most companies, there is a greater risk for you to incur out of pocket expenses above and beyond your deductible. Their contracts state they will pay based on an artificially low labor rate. This makes you responsible for paying the difference on every repair. Warranty Direct will pay the repair facilities posted labor rates.

A review of the online companies shows very restrictive contract language. Here are a few clauses you should be leery of:

• At the sole discretion of the Administrator...
• You must maintain your vehicle according to the severe requirements of your manufacturer
(that will double your maintenance costs)
• Burned/worn valves/guides, valve grinding, worn rings and burned pistons are not covered.
(These are classic wear and tear failures)
• Any covered part that has not failed; this includes seepage of seals and gaskets.
• The gradual reduction in operating performance is not covered.
• A pre-established artificially low labor rate.

You will NOT find these restrictive clauses in a Warranty Direct contract.
Many repair facilities will not accept plans with those clauses. As we sell primarily through dealers, you will not have these problems with us. Dealers don’t sell plans that cause them problems when trying to get claims paid.

Conclusion

Shopping for an extended warranty doesn’t have to be a confusing or a stressful thing. Our experienced sales professionals are available to assist you with your questions. If you'd allow us the opportunity, we can show you that our rates will be less if you consider total costs over the full life of the warranty. We may cost a little more initially, but we provide more extensive coverage and benefits.

For even greater peace of mind, you may view our Better Business Bureau report by clicking below.

http://www.bbb.org/atlanta/business-...ta-ga-27306422

Last edited by twin_snails; 04-26-2014 at 02:29 AM.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:27 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by twin_snails

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...xperience.html

I did wind up purchasing an extended warranty through WarrantyDirect.com after seeing two more guys have the dreaded oil gasket issue this week and it seems to occur depending on mileage and age of the car. I'm at 86.2k miles and this warranty gives me 37 months and 37,000 miles of additional coverage. I did put all but about 2,600 of those miles on my car as I bought it as a demo from the dealer. Yes, I was driving a lot but my driving has slowed down quite a bit so I expect to get the full additional 3 years of coverage and if I have the gasket problem, it's paid for itself. I opted for a no charge finance plan so it's only costing me a nominal amount every month but I look at it like I'm paying a little every month to avoid having to pay a LOT in one shot.

The warranty can be cancelled at any time and it is transferrable to another person if you happen to sell your car. Warranty Direct is the only company that is endorsed by Kelley Blue Book, which was a big factor in my decision to purchase. There are discounts available. I talked to Buddy and got discounts for the Kelley Blue Book referral, liking their Facebook page, and $150 off from something else that I can't remember at the moment. I'm not even on Facebook but my Dad is so that was good enough for them. Just gotta get Dad to like their page.

This probably won't matter to those that lease but I know many of us purchase and want to keep our cars for some time.

I researched and looked into Extended Warranties and how they work and wanted to share with the myG37 community for your education and benefit.

Disclosure: I do not receive any compensation or referral fees if anyone decides to get one of these warranties.

There are two types: Mechanical Breakdown Coverage (MBC) and Wear and Tear Coverage. Usually dealership extended warranty plans are of the MBC variety and are the most restrictive when it comes to paying out a claim. They will look for any reason to avoid paying said claim and when they do cover something, they don't pay the posted labor rate for the dealership and often, you're left with more out of pocket expenses. It's akin to getting a crown with dental insurance.

I asked a lot of questions and basically they give you a card and if you're in at the dealer getting service done and they find something major wrong, they contact Warranty Direct and they submit an estimate and it gets approved in 7 minutes or less, no questions asked. They pay the dealer over the phone and the most you're responsible for is a $100.00 deductible. They have zero deductible plans available but they were a few hundred more so I thought, hey, I can hang with a $100 deductible and opted for that plan.

I know the opinions will vary greatly on these kind of products. But for me personally, I wanted peace of mind because there are other things that I want to spend $3k on. The only caveat to this is that I do have to wait 30 days AND 1,000 miles before and if I do file a claim. Also there is no limit on the number of claims that you can file.

Here's an excerpt from my contract. I'll also throw a PDF in my dropbox account and post it for everyone.

Dropbox Link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ryj01yjdtt...nty_Direct.pdf

What is Wear and Tear coverage?

Wear and Tear is a much broader level of coverage than the mechanical breakdown only plans offered elsewhere. Mostly all Warranty Direct plans include coverage for wear-and-tear failure which provides coverage for parts that break as well as those that just wear out.

Most extended warranties define "mechanical breakdown" as a defect in parts and workmanship as supplied by the manufacturer, or a defect that makes the part unable to perform the function for which it was designed. Often, they will state that the gradual reduction in operating performance (wear-and-tear) is not covered. Service contracts that exclude wear and tear will not cover repairs needed because a part’s performance has gradually deteriorated because of normal wear and tear, unless a mechanical breakdown has occurred.

The more miles on a car when a repair becomes necessary, the more likely it is that the repair will be needed because a part is worn out, rather than because the part broke due to poor design or manufacturing. Again, many extended warranties do not cover parts that wear out.

Read more about wear and tear from the California Department of Insurance:
Guide to Automobile Repair Agreements

Damage due to overheating?

We do NOT have an overheating exclusion in our contract. While many warranty providers shy away from damage caused by overheating, Warranty Direct takes a much different approach. Although damage sustained when a vehicle overheats can be severe, we take care of all repair costs for covered components provided the vehicle does not overheat due to negligence and provided you act immediately to prevent unnecessary damage when your vehicle overheats. In fact, if your vehicle overheats and you require a tow or fluid replacement, Warranty Direct’s FREE 24x7 Roadside Assistance makes sure you get taken care of... fast!

The Claims Process:

Where can I take my vehicle for repair?

Our plan allows you to take your vehicle to a licensed repair facility of YOUR choice (dealer, national chain, local mechanic) and pays your claim quickly and efficiently via our corporate credit card. In fact, over 22,000 car dealers and repair facilities do business with us. Since we have been sold through dealers for over 30 years, our acceptance at a dealership or licensed repair facility is one of the widest in the industry. We can even help you locate a reputable repair facility anywhere in the US.

How are claims handled?

Simply present your Warranty Direct Membership ID to the service professional, who in turn will contact our claims department and you pay your deductible (if any). There is no paperwork and no limit on the number of claims you may have.

Handling your claim will be hassle free with Warranty Direct. No other company handles claims faster or more efficiently. We authorize claims in an average of seven (7) minutes or less. Our average time on hold is under one (1) minute and you’ll never get a busy signal when calling. It’s one reason car dealers sell over 10,000 of our plans every month. Our acceptance and claims handling ability are unmatched.

Warranty Direct VS The Competition

With most companies, there is a greater risk for you to incur out of pocket expenses above and beyond your deductible. Their contracts state they will pay based on an artificially low labor rate. This makes you responsible for paying the difference on every repair. Warranty Direct will pay the repair facilities posted labor rates.

A review of the online companies shows very restrictive contract language. Here are a few clauses you should be leery of:

• At the sole discretion of the Administrator...
• You must maintain your vehicle according to the severe requirements of your manufacturer
(that will double your maintenance costs)
• Burned/worn valves/guides, valve grinding, worn rings and burned pistons are not covered.
(These are classic wear and tear failures)
• Any covered part that has not failed; this includes seepage of seals and gaskets.
• The gradual reduction in operating performance is not covered.
• A pre-established artificially low labor rate.

You will NOT find these restrictive clauses in a Warranty Direct contract.
Many repair facilities will not accept plans with those clauses. As we sell primarily through dealers, you will not have these problems with us. Dealers don’t sell plans that cause them problems when trying to get claims paid.

Conclusion

Shopping for an extended warranty doesn’t have to be a confusing or a stressful thing. Our experienced sales professionals are available to assist you with your questions. If you'd allow us the opportunity, we can show you that our rates will be less if you consider total costs over the full life of the warranty. We may cost a little more initially, but we provide more extensive coverage and benefits.

For even greater peace of mind, you may view our Better Business Bureau report by clicking below.

Interstate National Dealer Services, Inc. Business Review in Atlanta, GA - Metro Atlanta, Athens and Northeast Georgia BBB
You sound like a shill for Warranty Direct with your post

Never heard of warranty Direct but I found this.

Top 48 Complaints and Reviews about Warranty Direct

They sound like a Jiffy Lube to me.

I had the Elite Infiniti extended warranty purchased from the dealer on my previous 06G35 6 sp.
I used it a few times and never had any problems using it. In fact long after it expired Infiniti Customer service, my dealer and I was able to split the $2200.00 cost of a new wiring harness due to some prior repeated air bag warning light failures.

You get what you pay for in this world.
I usually don't take extended warranties but I was putting over 2k miles a month when I had my 06 G35 so I decided to take it just before I hit 50k miles.

I do not have it on my current G37S

If I were to take an extended warranty I would only purchase an Infiniti warranty at the dealer.

My advice

Be careful with 3rd party warranties.

Telcoman
Old 04-26-2014, 08:36 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Yea wasn't sure why you didn't contact Infiniti ? I went through them for mine. Granted I was under 60k and I was able to get this platinum ( best one) for 5 years or 60k additional miles( so till 118k$ for 3200$.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:04 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
I had a terrible experience with a 3rd party warranty years ago.

Car needed a new transmission and they denied the claim due to improper maintenance, even though the first scheduled maintenance was at 100k and the car had 60k. They jockeyd the car from shop to shop without my knowledge....put in a used transmission despite the warranty saying new or rebuilt.

I was out of my car for 6 weeks. Spent days on the phone eventually working my way to the office of the president where his assistant told me 'the buck stops here'.

In the end they agreed to cover a new transmission. Ive never really know anyone to come out ahead on an extended warranty. I would rather just set money aside on a regular basis for car expenses.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:31 AM
Vance67

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
My buddy used to work for a company that offered extended warranties from a 3rd party. He had to quit because he couldn't take the sob stories from the people that bought the warranties and the fact that when they called in a claim, the company would refuse to pay anything.

Now I do not remember which company he worked for or if all of them are like that, but I would rather go to an infiniti dealer, pay for a 150pt inspection, fix whatever needed to be fixed (if anything) and get the warranty from the manufacturer then take any chances.

Just my opinion, just my .02
The following users liked this post:
telcoman (04-26-2014)
Old 04-26-2014, 02:38 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Originally Posted by telcoman
You sound like a shill for Warranty Direct with your post
Thank you for that judgement but I'm not trying to shill anything.

I read the consumer affairs post and some of those people mentioned having "Mechanical Breakdown Insurance" which doesn't cover anything. That is not the variety that I have.

I've never been one to take extended warranties and if I'd thought about it beforehand, while I was still under the factory warranty from Infiniti, I would have purchased theirs. It wasn't until I read BB's post and some others about having to come out of pocket $3k for what is essentially a design flaw that I even considered it.

Nevertheless, I'll see how they respond to the CA post. I didn't pay for it all up front.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:31 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

I think it's worth noting that it is after all, Consumer Affairs, which seems to be a cherry-picked collection of people's worst experiences with a company. It's a place for people to go vent. Case in point:

Top 286 Complaints and Reviews about Infiniti

How many people would buy Infiniti's with a 1 1/2 star rating? Probably not many. People seldom go to CA to spread their experiences with excellent service-- they go there because they've got an axe to grind and feel sleighted, ergo the heavily skewed negative reviews. The point being that you can find anything you're looking for on the interwebs.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:07 PM
Vance67

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I don't think you have to be under warranty to get an exteneded warranty from Infiniti. I could be wrong though.

Before buying my G, I asked my finance managers (the ones who sell the warranties) if I could buy an extended warranty from them (because we are Nissan) and if I have to do it before the warranty runs up. They said yes I could get it from them and no I don't have to do while under warranty.

I will have to pay for a 150pt inspection (the same one Nissan/Infiniti requires to certify a used car) and if anything is wrong pay to fix it first (if not covered under warranty if I still have one), but I could get it at anytime.

This may change depending on the state you live in, maybe(?), but that is the info I was given.

I just double checked, because I'm at work, my manager said 100% I could do it even if I was out of the warranty...I should probably do that soon
Old 04-26-2014, 05:04 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Thank you for sharing Vance. Is there anywhere that I can view the terms of the Infiniti elite coverage? If the elite care is better, I'll dump what I have and go with it.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:47 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by twin_snails
Thank you for that judgement but I'm not trying to shill anything.
I meant no disrespect. It is just that I am very suspicious of all warranties.
I think this one is better than most as far as coverage despite its cost.
https://owners.infinitiusa.com/iowne...on/servicePlan

Telcoman
The following users liked this post:
twin_snails (04-26-2014)
Old 04-26-2014, 06:06 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

No worries Telcoman. I probably read more into that than I should have. You're right on being suspicious of them though. It's an industry that's full of slick, shyster ***** Loman types and sorting the reputable ones from all the chaff takes some effort. Thanks for posting the info on Infiniti's warranty. I'm going to look into it and read all the fine print as I'd much rather go with Infiniti's. I didn't even think I'd be eligible since I'm OOW by a fairly significant margin mileage wise.