G37 Sedan

Converting a '10 G37x Sedan to G37xS

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 03:25 PM
502GEE37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was told by the dealer that the sways are different so I gotta ask...
Old 04-14-2014, 03:55 PM
grojas112
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
The G37s rear sway bar is thicker than the X and it is interchangeable. You would need the correct bushings for the sway bar. The mounting brackets can be reused.

The front sway bar isnt interchangeable.
I believe the X front sway bar is thicker than the S.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:13 PM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by 502GEE37
I just got the 11 LE a couple of months back and I love it but I was wondering if the suspension from the S sedan is interchangable with the xS or not.... It definitely needs to get beefed up a bit
just get the Hotchki sways, trust me.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:44 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
Originally Posted by rks
just get the Hotchki sways, trust me.
What he said.

My x became a new car once I got the Hotchkis sways and FI RHFCs installed.

I've upgraded my brakes to the Akebono BBK and done the sport pedal swap, just missing the seats. But that's a pricey changeover so it'll have to wait a bit.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:04 PM
502GEE37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RexHavoc
What he said.

My x became a new car once I got the Hotchkis sways and FI RHFCs installed.

I've upgraded my brakes to the Akebono BBK and done the sport pedal swap, just missing the seats. But that's a pricey changeover so it'll have to wait a bit.
Coming from an S coupe, the ride is definitely soggy and comfy so is the handling but i'll go for the hotchkis and settle some of that immediately. Ill be adding similar touches as well
Old 04-14-2014, 08:13 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Originally Posted by 502GEE37
Coming from an S coupe, the ride is definitely soggy and comfy so is the handling but i'll go for the hotchkis and settle some of that immediately. Ill be adding similar touches as well
I can't promise it'll improve to that extent. But it definitely livened it up. I just swapped out staggered sport sedan rims for a set of forged Rays with Hankook V12s, changed things again for the better. I could probably further reduce the understeer but I'm fairly neutral right and satisfied where it's at. For now.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:59 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteigerwald
So basically, the only difference for the xS sedan and x are the visual things and nothing mechanical at all?
That is correct. the Sport Package on the AWD Sedan is an appearance-only option... unless you consider the 18" wheels a performance upgrade over the 17" wheels. (I sure don't.)
  • You get sport seats, which are quite nice.
  • The Sport Model front bumper, which is a decidedly better design than the non-sport (IMO).
  • More prominent side-sill extensions (side skirts), which are almost indistinguishable from the non-sport.
  • A darker headlight housing, which is also almost indistinguishable from the non-sport.
  • Flappy paddles, which are entirely useless (IMO).
  • 18x7.5" sport wheels, which we affectionately call "duckfeet", and pretty much all hate, because ugly.
  • A big red "S" badge on the trunk.
  • Bragging rights and a bump in resale value.

That's it, OP. No sport suspension, BBK, or close-ratio steering. And the only way you can get a proper manual transmission is to buy the no-longer-available 6MT... which was marketed as its own model: G37S Sedan 6MT.

If you're automotive values run towards performance, then hit the ground running with a RWD G-Sedan w/Sport Package. Otherwise, modify your xS. You can certainly improve everything with aftermarket parts, although I've never read about anyone doing anything about the sport-tuned steering. Just have to suck that one up.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:15 PM
G2Nice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long time lurker on this forum, planning on buying a G sedan sometime down the line. I've always liked the XS, specifically the front bumper, but if it's all appearance, how much would it cost to change the front bumper from an X to an XS?
Old 04-14-2014, 09:24 PM
gsteigerwald

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
That is correct. the Sport Package on the AWD Sedan is an appearance-only option... unless you consider the 18" wheels a performance upgrade over the 17" wheels. (I sure don't.)
  • You get sport seats, which are quite nice.
  • The Sport Model front bumper, which is a decidedly better design than the non-sport (IMO).
  • More prominent side-sill extensions (side skirts), which are almost indistinguishable from the non-sport.
  • A darker headlight housing, which is also almost indistinguishable from the non-sport.
  • Flappy paddles, which are entirely useless (IMO).
  • 18x7.5" sport wheels, which we affectionately call "duckfeet", and pretty much all hate, because ugly.
  • A big red "S" badge on the trunk.
  • Bragging rights and a bump in resale value.

That's it, OP. No sport suspension, BBK, or close-ratio steering. And the only way you can get a proper manual transmission is to buy the no-longer-available 6MT... which was marketed as its own model: G37S Sedan 6MT.

If you're automotive values run towards performance, then hit the ground running with a RWD G-Sedan w/Sport Package. Otherwise, modify your xS. You can certainly improve everything with aftermarket parts, although I've never read about anyone doing anything about the sport-tuned steering. Just have to suck that one up.
Thanks for the further clarification Rochester, much appreciated. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe I've seen on here that people replace the non sport bumper for the sport bumper? I have a 7at and am plenty happy with it, just wondering what the difference were. I don't care about the paddle shifters or different seats, I'm happy with mine. I may upgrade to BBK though
Old 04-14-2014, 09:32 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Originally Posted by G2Nice
Long time lurker on this forum, planning on buying a G sedan sometime down the line. I've always liked the XS, specifically the front bumper, but if it's all appearance, how much would it cost to change the front bumper from an X to an XS?
Sport bumpers are all the same, both on the S and XS. The cost depends on where you get it from etc. I was going to buy a full setup for $750 which was a little high but it was complete and already painted my color. Plus labor unless you DIY.

Thanks for the further clarification Rochester, much appreciated. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe I've seen on here that people replace the non sport bumper for the sport bumper? I have a 7at and am plenty happy with it, just wondering what the difference were. I don't care about the paddle shifters or different seats, I'm happy with mine. I may upgrade to BBK though
A lot of folks swap their bumper yes. Paddle shifters are meh but I use them here and there. Seats... I like mine too but may swap them out someday. Though if I were to I'm thinking I would like to try to install Q50 seats if I could. I think they're a bit more comfortable.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:55 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I may upgrade to BBK though
Well... The Akebono BBK is beautiful, and impressive looking hardware. But as far as daily driving goes, it's overkill. You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. Plus, the added unsprung weight of those huge rotors seems counter-productive.

This is an expensive mod for what it is. But then so are aftermarket wheels. If you want better brakes, keep the small ones and buy good calipers. Similarly, if you want better handling, go with lightweight 18" rims. Few of us make those decisions, though, because the BBK is hot, and so are 19 & 20" rims.

There really is no right or wrong decision. Get informed, match your research up against your values and priorities, then open your wallet wide.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:58 PM
gsteigerwald

Originally Posted by RexHavoc
A lot of folks swap their bumper yes. Paddle shifters are meh but I use them here and there. Seats... I like mine too but may swap them out someday. Though if I were to I'm thinking I would like to try to install Q50 seats if I could. I think they're a bit more comfortable.
I'm okay with having the manual shifter where its at, not a big fan of paddle shifters personally... I just took a look at the Q50 seats and they look fantastic. I wonder if that would be possible though.

Generally how much can you find a sport bumper for?
Old 04-14-2014, 10:02 PM
Rochester
Administrator

The sport leather seats in the Q50 are noticeably more forgiving than the sport seats in the G37S.... Which themselves are softer than the sport seats in the G35S.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:13 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

I'm okay with having the manual shifter where its at, not a big fan of paddle shifters personally... I just took a look at the Q50 seats and they look fantastic. I wonder if that would be possible though.

Generally how much can you find a sport bumper for?
I've seen them for $250 / $750 but normally the lower the price the more stuff you have to buy to complete the swap. That's all used pricing, dealer pricing would be different. You could try searching parts yards in the northeast, should be some parts available from the cars totaled by the storm.

Originally Posted by Rochester
The sport leather seats in the Q50 are noticeably more forgiving than the sport seats in the G37S.... Which themselves are softer than the sport seats in the G35S.
How are the sports seats on long drives? I'm in a Q the next couple days and I may get a bit spoiled.

Good points on the BBK by the way. I had a judder in my original brakes which is gone now, the car definitely starts better but it was more than adequate before in all honesty.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:16 PM
gsteigerwald

Rochester, I see that you have the R2C intake, what are your opinions on it? I was thinking about getting that intake over the Stillen Gen 3 since its much easier to install and less problems with it. I am too worried about hydrolocking for the Gen3 even though I haven't seen people with that issue. One thing I am not willing to test my luck on.

Quick Reply: Converting a '10 G37x Sedan to G37xS