G37 Sedan

my exhaust story so far...FI/Kinetix/ARK/Tanabe

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 02:45 PM
botlfed98
Registered Member

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
my exhaust story so far...FI/Kinetix/ARK/Tanabe

here's where I am today: was originally looking for that G coupe / 350z sound for my sedan and went out and purchased an ARK catback. Loved the way the ARK sounded paired up with stock cats but then realized that I had an issue with one of my oem cats so replaced them with a used pair of FI HFCs. The power felt great but was almost obnoxiously loud. Less than a year later I then experienced a crack weld with one of the FI HFCs so replaced those with a pair of used Kinetix HFCs. Sound stayed about the same, maybe slightly throatier...still too loud. Recently decided I def need to tone it down a bit but didn't want to mess with taking the cats off again so decided to get rid of my ARK catback. I picked up a pair of used Tanabe axle back mufflers that look brand new and thought that would be a good step towards trying to quite things down a bit. So this past weekend I bolted up my stock y-pipe & midpipe to the Kinetix HFCs and the Tanabe mufflers. I can't believe how quiet it is! Figured having the high flow cats and after market mufflers it would be much louder than what it is. That's my story for now but I'm highly thinking of upgrading the y-pipe...do you guys have any recommendations? Doesn't look like there's a whole lot out there that will fit AWD sedans.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:46 PM
botlfed98
Registered Member

long story short make sure you do your research and possibly listen to an exhaust setup first hand before making purchases
Old 03-04-2014, 02:56 PM
malady

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
^ xyz y pipe I think any other y pipe will make it too loud for your taste again.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:55 PM
alfredo24pr

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts
hmm..I have my ark paired up with FI RHFC and sound is perfect. Could be louder imo. Guess that resonator does it work.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:04 PM
08Gsmith25

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i have tanabes and am about to put my ark HFCs on this week. make sure you listen in cabin vs outside. i could not tell a difference at all when i put the mufflers on, but when somebody else drove it i thought it sounded sexy. still not loud enough, though. so hopefully this will be perfect for me. if not i will add XYZ pipe, since i dont think there is an aftermarket midpipe that fits our sedans that doesnt come in a complete CBE package
Old 03-04-2014, 04:21 PM
elrey85
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by botlfed98
here's where I am today: was originally looking for that G coupe / 350z sound for my sedan and went out and purchased an ARK catback. Loved the way the ARK sounded paired up with stock cats but then realized that I had an issue with one of my oem cats so replaced them with a used pair of FI HFCs. The power felt great but was almost obnoxiously loud. Less than a year later I then experienced a crack weld with one of the FI HFCs so replaced those with a pair of used Kinetix HFCs. Sound stayed about the same, maybe slightly throatier...still too loud. Recently decided I def need to tone it down a bit but didn't want to mess with taking the cats off again so decided to get rid of my ARK catback. I picked up a pair of used Tanabe axle back mufflers that look brand new and thought that would be a good step towards trying to quite things down a bit. So this past weekend I bolted up my stock y-pipe & midpipe to the Kinetix HFCs and the Tanabe mufflers. I can't believe how quiet it is! Figured having the high flow cats and after market mufflers it would be much louder than what it is. That's my story for now but I'm highly thinking of upgrading the y-pipe...do you guys have any recommendations? Doesn't look like there's a whole lot out there that will fit AWD sedans.
I have the Kinetix HFCs on my X sedan and I think they sound good. I dont think they are obnoxiously loud but they did make the sound abit more throatier compared to the stock cats. That being said I have them bolted to a Megan Racing Y-pip which I think opens up the exhaust system that much more. Not sure what the difference is going to be in terms of sound because I got my HFCs and Y-pipe at the same time so couldnt tell which one made the sound difference. But yes Megan Racing has a y-pipe for the X sedan and I'm pretty sure there are 1 or two more companies that have it also if you do a search.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:35 PM
botlfed98
Registered Member

thanks for the input guys
Old 03-04-2014, 04:47 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Originally Posted by alfredo24pr
hmm..I have my ark paired up with FI RHFC and sound is perfect. Could be louder imo. Guess that resonator does it work.
I also went with FI's RHFC, intending to future proof the exhaust harshness, and hopefully end up with a nice round tone, whatever catback goes on the car. Although my cats won't get installed for a few weeks, so it's all just research and assumption at this point.

But I'm with Alfredo... I like noise. Just like it deep and mellow. That's why the Helmholtz resonator design at the cans in the ARK exhaust appeals to me so much.

I got to drive Choman's car last December, and he has FI RHFC and the FI catback with 18" resonators. It sounds great. Actually, it could easily be louder and just as pleasant.

Last edited by Rochester; 03-04-2014 at 05:13 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:03 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
Exhaust Depot, Megan Racing and TopSpeed make Y-pipes for the X platform.

Originally Posted by Rochester
I also went with FI's RHFC, intending to future proof the exhaust harshness, and hopefully end up with a nice round tone, whatever catback goes on the car. Although my cats won't get installed for a few weeks, so it's all just research and assumption at this point.

But I'm with Alfredo... I like noise. Just like it deep and mellow.

I got to drive Choman's car last December, and he has FI RHFC and the FI catback with 18" resonators. It sounds great. Actually, it could easily be louder and just as pleasant.
I found someone who had an FI system on a G coupe around me with 18" resonators and I agree with you, it definitely could have been louder and pleasant. Because of this, I modified my order to include 12" resonators. I cannot wait - should be shipping this week.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:49 PM
alfredo24pr

But I'm with Alfredo... I like noise. Just like it deep and mellow. That's why the Helmholtz resonator design at the cans in the ARK exhaust appeals to me so much.

Its pretty deep. Sometimes sounds a bit like a V8, but then I floor it and that's about it.

I wouldn't mind louder actually. That's why Im thinking about adding headers.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:05 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Originally Posted by alfredo24pr
Its pretty deep. Sometimes sounds a bit like a V8
Prove it.

Please.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:53 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
If you want your car to sound like another car, get that other car.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:56 PM
alfredo24pr

Prove it. Please.
I will find someone to film from the outside. And I will take a video of it when being dyno'ed.

Soon
Old 03-04-2014, 10:51 PM
MalbecG37S

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by connoisseurr
Exhaust Depot, Megan Racing and TopSpeed make Y-pipes for the X platform.
I am pretty sure Exhaust Depot is out of business....the site has been down/gone for months now...
Old 03-06-2014, 12:24 PM
pdpMIATA

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
This reminds me to upload a vid of my ark setup...thanks haha

Quick Reply: my exhaust story so far...FI/Kinetix/ARK/Tanabe