G37 Sedan

should i keep the elite warranty? car is CPO

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 03:38 AM
socialconflicts

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
should i keep the elite warranty? car is CPO

ok my dilemma... my car is a 2010 CPO. sits under 34k miles and is still covered from the bumper to bumper for an additional 7 months then the CPO is in effect.

i paid 2.4k ($0 ded) for the elite warranty which covers everything for 8yrs/120k miles. did i overpay for the warranty? should i keep it or no?

when i bought the car i was set in not getting any additional warranty since it was a CPO, but was sold on it by the guy lol.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:19 AM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
My factory warranty expires in a few days (02-28) and I went with the same elite warranty from Infiniti for my vehicle (good until 02-28-2018). I'd say keep it because the shop rates alone are almost $160/hr and parts aren't cheap either. My car is a CPO but that doesn't mean things won't break or wear out. Warranties are like insurance, it's better safe then sorry, my man.

Just a side note, That warranty is valid for everything BUT interior trim pieces. I made sure the dealerships service writer explained to me what all was included in the warranty when I had them replace my steering wheel for free. (saved $1200)
Old 02-23-2014, 08:19 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
$2400 seems like a lot. Was that a negotiated price?
Old 02-23-2014, 11:05 AM
socialconflicts

The price was directly from the book. He has told me that was the price he could do.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:43 AM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by socialconflicts
The price was directly from the book. He has told me that was the price he could do.
The Elite Infiniti Extended warranty is "A la carte". If I remember correctly there were something like 5 or 6 warranty packages to chose from. I went with a mid level warranty that costs me an extra $55.00/mo. Like I said, well worth it if you look at the amount paid over the course of the warranty VS. how much it "could" cost if a repair was needed.

Example:
Alternator= $200 plus or minus
Shop rate for dealership= $160.00/ Hr X 3hrs
Total for the repair is somewhere close to $680. Things like that add up.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:19 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by socialconflicts
That's when I would have passed

I've always been under the impression there was tons of margin in extended warranties. The book price on the extended warranty on my last car was 1400, the finance guy took $300 for it in the end.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:16 PM
socialconflicts

I'm going to make a few phone calls to other Infiniti retailers outside of cali. The amountnon the end was about 30 bucks extra a month.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:47 PM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
From my experience with Gs over the last 7 years, and a variety of them in the driveway at all different mileage points, unless you are truly that unsure of the car, skip it. These things are so old that mechanically, the kinks are worked out. Quality and craftsmanship isn't really there, but nothing on the power train is going to fail unless it is either a freak of nature occurrence or some outside force assisting. Keep the money in your bank and don't worry about it.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:35 PM
Yosemite Dan

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
$2400 for another 4 years? Complete waste of money. If it was a German car, it might be a good idea but the G37 is reliable, not particularly expensive to fix and you don't need to go the dealer and pay their high labor rates if something needs to be repaired. The chances that you will come close to spending $2400 in that 4 year window is very unlikley. Its a cash grab for the dealer just like those expensive "lifetime" rust proofing, paint protection and fabric protection scams they try and sell you.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:55 AM
Elohel

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
Honestly, extended warranties are for suckers. Sorry to anyone in this thread who purchased them, but it's by and large a waste of money. A few people here and there will actually make use of it enough to justify it, but most of us never will. Think about it - the extended warranty is either a good deal for you and a bad deal for the dealership, or vice versa. It cannot be a mutually advantageous sale. Do you think the dealership is looking out for your wallet or theirs?

Is it worth buying an extended car warranty?

If you absolutely *must* keep it, tell them you're going to cancel it unless they deal on the price significantly. You probably just gave the sales rep a ~$1,200 commission check.
The following 2 users liked this post by Elohel:
canucklehead (02-24-2014), Lego_Maniac (02-24-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 08:39 PM
gsm026
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
For some people extended warranties offer peace of mind when buying a used vehicle. Are they worth it? I think very few people ever get their money's worth, but to each their own. I bought a CPO car, but not specifically for the extended warranty. Infiniti dealers tend to CPO the best cars they get in.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:26 PM
acesk8er

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The navigation head unit went bad in my car. Elite was definitely worth having for that!
Old 02-24-2014, 11:13 PM
Yazovets

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Yosemite Dan
$2400 for another 4 years? Complete waste of money. If it was a German car, it might be a good idea but the G37 is reliable, not particularly expensive to fix and you don't need to go the dealer and pay their high labor rates if something needs to be repaired. The chances that you will come close to spending $2400 in that 4 year window is very unlikley. Its a cash grab for the dealer just like those expensive "lifetime" rust proofing, paint protection and fabric protection scams they try and sell you.
Fully agree. And I don't know why people are quoting 3 hours of labor at $160 per hour for an alternator job. A local mechanic will easily work at $40-50 per hour. Come on guys - it's a G37...it's not like a fully electronic, tech-wiz Mercedes S-Class or anything.

I get my car serviced by my mechanic friend. He has been able to fix or service absolutely everything. He even successfully took apart my driver's door to replace the exterior door handle rod. I paid a bottle of scotch...not the $160 hourly rate. LOL
Old 02-25-2014, 12:07 AM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 560 Likes on 390 Posts
If I recall correctly, your warranty starts at the original sale date. Since the car comes with a 4/60 bumper to bumper, your car is covered for 4 yrs/60k under your purchased warranty. The purchased warranty overlaps with the factory one, it is not in addition to it.

Secondly, if you financed the car and the warranty, which it sounds like you did, things become a bit more complicated. If you "return" the warranty, they will add it as a payment to the back end of the loan. This means it will not reduce your monthly payment, it will reduce your loan balance, thus reducing the term of repayment.

I personally bought and returned the Elite Warranty. I got talked into the warranty at the time of sale, but shortly after, realized I bought a reliable car to save on repair costs. They try and intimidate you with ridiculously expensive repair quotes but this car has been in production since 2008 and there is a healthy amount of spare parts and mechanics who work at a fraction of the price. It is highly unlikely you are going to encounter $2,400 in repair costs in these 4 years, that is why they sold you a plan for 4 years of repair for $2,400.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:52 AM
mathnerd88
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
My car is already 7 years and 2 months old with 84000 miles (2007 Infiniti G35x built in 12/06.) I have not have to spend anything on it that would've had to be covered under elite warranty. I did use the original warranty to my advantage a couple of times. I also push my car extremely hard everyday. My car is one of the oldest V36 models (they started production in 08/06.)

It is well past the original warranty and powertrain warranty. Plus, all the parts can be cheap to get. Even if you had to, you can probably find a part that was good in a junkyard for really cheap and ask a local mechanic to replace it at an hourly rate of $60-$70. This is in Boston too. By the time you actually need to use the warranty, you'll find out that there are PLENTY of parts available that are cheap and replaceable (aftermarket or junkyard.) The car by then will be old, so putting in new OEM parts isn't worth it. My car is probably worth just above $10k now. It probably isn't worth to fix anything major at this point anyways. It may be better to just trade it in.

If you get into an accident (highly likely by the time your elite warranty kicks in,) the insurance would only pay for aftermarket or junkyard parts anyways, voiding your elite warranty if that same part fails (or other parts that may be affected from replacement.)

I'm glad I saved over $2k when I purchased this car for a silly warranty. Even the Infiniti dealer said that these cars were solid that it would last way past the warranty date anyways and actually recommended to NOT get it.

As for the OP, you had to pay extra for CPO and then YOU PAID EXTRA for the elite warranty? Wow, that means you paid like $4000 more than you could've saved. I didn't even buy my car with CPO (even though they said they could CPO it for another $1200.) At the time it was purchased, it was only 2 years old with 21k miles. CPO covers your car to 6 years/100,000 miles from original sale date of original owner. Basically, all they did was extend your powertrain warranty from 70,000 miles to 100,000 miles but kept the same amount of years.

At the time, I only paid $28k for my car that was 2 years old with 21k miles and had every package available except the sport package.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 02-25-2014 at 02:19 AM.

Quick Reply: should i keep the elite warranty? car is CPO