G37 Sedan

Disappointed in my G37

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 04:28 PM
nissanlvr

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Unhappy Disappointed in my G37

I've lurked around these forums for a long time, and I hate it when people join the forum and come on here just to complain. Please forgive me for doing that. But I'm SO frustrated with my car, and I figured I might get some sympathy here.

I have a 2011 G37. When I first got it (used about 6 months ago), I absolutely loved it. But, as time has gone on, I've come to hate it. It hasn't had any major problems, nor do I expect it to for a long time, but it's all the little issues and poor quality that are starting to drive me CRAZY!!

For example,

1. Rattles & Squeaks & Vibrations galore! It seems like there is a new noise every weak. I have noises from inside the dash, inside both front door panels, inside the front passenger's seat, inside the sunroof area, from the map light/sunglass holder, back deck (behind the back seats/over the trunk), inside the steering wheel area, etc. And I could go on and on. They absolutely drive me insane, not to mention how embarassing it is when I have a passenger and they notice all these noises in my 40k mile 3 year old car. Also, when I drive on an unlevel surface (like pulling into a driveway, parking lot, etc. which "twists" the car) I hear metallic creaking from all over the roof of the car.

2. The durability of the materials is horrible. Everything is cheap plastic. The material around the gauge cluster is warping up. The panels on the side of the console area, like where the driver's right knee or passenger's left knee go, are peeling up. (what idiot decided to use glue to hold the interior of this car together!?) The rubberized paint on the plastic around the steering wheel scratches off. The leather on the steering wheel is already worn. The leather on the seat is already wrinkled, has stretch bubbles, etc. The exterior paint is so thin & cheap, it looks like a car that's been sandblasted and driven on the highway for 250k miles. You can't even breath toward the aluminum trim without it denting and/or scratching. Also, I noticed that there were some whitish areas on the door panels. Thinking that this was just dirt residue, like lotion from hands and whatnot, I began to scrub with a towel to remove this. As I'm doing this, I notice that the area gets lighter. I realized that the black on the door panels will simply wipe off over time! I have a friend who also has a G, and noticed hers is doing the same thing, but worse! I didn't mention it though. And, this is most noticeable in the sun with the door open... look at yours if you have a black interior, I bet it's doing the same thing.

3. Mechanical lack of refinement. The transmission is a disaster. Shifts rough, shudders, power delivery isn't smooth (everyone's heads go back & forth on acceleration), and yes I had the update. Although, I should ask the dealer which I got, because I see that there have been two. The engine is harsh at times, like it vibrates a lot and can be felt through the car. Even when idling, it feels like an old diesel truck. Nowhere near as smooth as my old VQ30 maxima. In fact, it's much less refined than my 2000 Silverado truck with 215k on the clock. Not to mention the fact that every time you press the gas, there is an incredibly annoying high-pitch noise in the car, which stops when you come to a stop, then restarts again as soon as you accelerate. The air conditioner compressor is LOUD, sounds like rocks are being thrown around and ground up every time the air comes on after starting the car. Every time it rains, the brakes squeak like crazy, even though they're in good shape. Road noise is also unbearable, but I think that's partly due to the cheap tires that are on it now. Ride quality is also bad, you feel every single pebble. But again, I think better tires would help this. It is a sports sedan after all, I don't expect, or want, to feel like I'm riding on a cloud, but I can't take this jittery, harsh ride. More cushion would be nice.

4. I could keep going for a long time, but I think I've listed my main issues and I think you get my point.

It makes me sick. I've owned several other Nissan and Infinitis in the past, and the quality was SO much better than this G. I have friends with mid-2000s Toyota Camrys with well over 200,000 miles that have had far fewer issues with their cars. They hardly even have any rattles, and the interiors look better than mine. I bought this car because it was a pleasure to drive, and I expected quality from Infiniti. Boy was I wrong. All this money, and I hate to drive the thing. I feel like its falling apart. It's like there should be a 2 in front of the 40,000 on the odometer. I like cars. I take good care of them and take pride in keeping them nice. I always follow the maintenance schedule, I wash them every weekend, etc. My G has been dealer serviced, on time, since new. For the money I paid for this car, I could have bought a brand new Altima, etc. I didn't, because those FWD 4-cylinders can't hold a candle to these G's in driving performance. But, now I wish I had done that instead.

I'm just so mad at my car. It's all minor issues, but added together it's really annoying. I've read on this forum where others have had a few of the same issues, but not all on the same car! Yes the car is under warranty, but if I go to the dealer with a list of 100 issues, they won't take me seriously. Plus, they'd basically have to rip out the entire interior to fix all the rattles, and they'd probably just cause new ones in the process. Most G owners seem happy, so maybe I just got a dud. But what should I do??? Anything?

Sorry for the long and negative post, and thanks for reading. I really would love this car if only it had been built better :/

Bruce
Old 02-08-2014, 04:47 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
Think you got a lemon there. My 2011 can be easily described as the opposite of your gripes.

It reads to me like you'd rather have a Lexus. Go get one, get happy again.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:06 PM
Di3s3l_power

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you pretty much sum it up, but most of the cars with sport suspension will have squeaks,
My e46 M3 was no better than my Infiniti.
Differential was making noises at low speed, squeaks from various places, HK premium sound had problems with passenger speaker rattling and so on.

I guess it depends on what roads you are driving and how **** you can be.

I've heard Audis are more solid built and don't have too many squeaks.
My suggestion is to test drive an S4 and decide for your self
Old 02-08-2014, 05:09 PM
nissanlvr

Originally Posted by Rochester
Think you got a lemon there. My 2011 can be easily described as the opposite of your gripes.

It reads to me like you'd rather have a Lexus. Go get one, get happy again.
I know 3 other people with G37 sedans. All three love them, and have not had the same issues. (except my friend whose black interior is also fading like mine) I think I really did get a lemon. Must've been built after a happy hour at the factory or something.

"It reads to me like you'd rather have a Lexus" - That's exactly my frustration! I wouldn't rather have a Lexus. I like the design of Infinitis, from the interior, to the exterior styling, to the more engaging drive characteristics. (BTW, I LOVE the new Q50's, but my dealer has admitted to me that they have some major issues with those too, although they seem to be mostly electronic with the intouch system and new steering. Out of my price range anyway though haha). I would love my G if it didn't have so many little issues. I think I'm just going to have to try to ignore them as much as I can, as I don't think it's worth selling the car at this point
Old 02-08-2014, 05:18 PM
san~man

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
As far as no.1, are you lowered or have you modified the suspension?

For no.2, those are all warranty items and will be fixed by the dealer. Ya, you have to leave the car, but they'll get fixed.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:22 PM
nissanlvr

Originally Posted by Di3s3l_power
you pretty much sum it up, but most of the cars with sport suspension will have squeaks,
My e46 M3 was no better than my Infiniti.
Differential was making noises at low speed, squeaks from various places, HK premium sound had problems with passenger speaker rattling and so on.

I guess it depends on what roads you are driving and how **** you can be.

I've heard Audis are more solid built and don't have too many squeaks.
My suggestion is to test drive an S4 and decide for your self
Right, I do think that it's fair to expect more rattles out of a car with a stiff suspension. (mine isn't a sport model though). But the amount of rattles this thing has is just ridiculous. I think it's just mine though. Like I said, I know a few other people with G's. Obviously I haven't spent as much time in theirs as mine, but I have never noticed a single peep from theirs. I'm honestly not being **** about this. I have had friends mention it, and I've even had my mother start banging the dashboard once trying to quiet the rattle that comes from it. As well as my brother trying to fix the vibration from the sunglass holder. It bothers random passengers... imagine how annoying it is when you're in the car 3 hours a day.

I do have to wonder what kind of roads the previous owner drove this thing on. That could be part of the problem. Some of the roads where I drive are pretty bad, but not as bad as some roads up north.

Not good for you, but glad to hear that an M3 had a bunch of noises too. Makes me feel a little better.

I've heard the same thing about Audi. I've also heard that their reliability is improving dramatically. I might have to consider them next time. It sucks though, I really do like Infiniti, and I've had 2 previously. An old I30 and an I35. Both were great. I thought this car would be too
Old 02-08-2014, 05:24 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
It’s hard for me to believe you bought a car with so many obvious problems. Certainly they are not common to 2011 G37’s. As this was your first post on this forum, is there something else going on here?
Old 02-08-2014, 05:26 PM
nissanlvr

Originally Posted by san~man
As far as no.1, are you lowered or have you modified the suspension?

For no.2, those are all warranty items and will be fixed by the dealer. Ya, you have to leave the car, but they'll get fixed.
Mine is all stock. And it's the Journey model, not the Sport. So the suspension isn't rock hard.

Yeah, I think I need to pick a small list of issues and have the dealer fix them. If I give them a list like I gave you guys, they'll just think I'm being unreasonable. I'll try to decide which items are the most annoying, and complain about those.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:36 PM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
You bought an abused used car, just admit it. And only this winter have you ever driven this car. All cars run rough in extremely cold weather in first 10 minute of driving. I had a 5th gen VQ30 Maxima also, its interior quality was no where close to my G37. Mine is a '12 with maple wood trims though if that make any difference.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:38 PM
nissanlvr

Originally Posted by Chekov
It’s hard for me to believe you bought a car with so many obvious problems. Certainly they are not common to 2011 G37’s. As this was your first post on this forum, is there something else going on here?
None of the problems were obvious when I bought the car. It had been well-maintained, clean carfax, looked to be in good shape, and so on.

As you probably know, rattles come and go. Temperature, humidity, road conditions, etc can have a dramatic affect. I think the cold winter temperatures have brought many of them out that I didn't notice before. If it had been the rattle trap it is now when I test drove it, I never would have bought it.

I suppose I understand the suspicion, but please don't accuse me of being a fake. Correct, the vast majority of G37's seem to be mostly problem free. That's a big part of why I decided I wanted one. But not all my issues are unique. For example, the steering wheel paint. EVERYONE has that issue. If you don't, then take your fingernail and give it a good scratch. Your paint will come right off. (Just kidding, don't actually do this). The warping around the buttons beside the gauge cluster... EVERYONE has that. Go look on autotrader or cars.com for 07-08 G's and find me one that doesn't have this. Or, better yet, just do a search on this forum. Lots of others have complained. I knew about those two issues going into this, but I didn't expect all these others. Now, if you don't believe me about those two things, or the paint that's chipping away (I drive a lot on the highway, the paint was not like this when I bought the car), or the other interior flaws, I'll go out right now and take pictures for you. I'm not making this up. Obviously I can't take pictures of a rattle (although I guess I could take videos), but the other issues I'd be happy to provide you with evidence if you think I'm a liar.

Look right here... https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...sh-recall.html Other people on this forum with the dash warping

Last edited by nissanlvr; 02-08-2014 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:45 PM
nissanlvr

Originally Posted by 00Max00
You bought an abused used car, just admit it. And only this winter have you ever driven this car. All cars run rough in extremely cold weather in first 10 minute of driving. I had a 5th gen VQ30 Maxima also, its interior quality was no where close to my G37. Mine is a '12 with maple wood trims though if that makes any difference.
Lol that's the opposite experience I had. My I35's interior was much better than my G! Well, I like the interior of my G better, but the I had better materials.

My commute is 45 minutes, and I usually let the car run for a few minutes before taking off in the morning, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it or not.

Did I buy an abused car? I think I might have. Should a 45 thousand dollar luxury sports sedan be able to handle 30k miles of abuse without falling apart? I think it should. Especially when it was serviced every 3750 at Infiniti
Old 02-08-2014, 05:51 PM
forrmark

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Sorry you have all those problems. I have a 2011 Journey sedan which has none of the problems you mention. As someone already wrote, you have a lemon which is not indicative of the usual Infiniti quality. Perhaps, you should trade it in for something else. When you buy a used car, you are taking a chance. The problems you are having are probably the reason the original owner sold the car.
The following users liked this post:
nissanlvr (02-08-2014)
Old 02-08-2014, 05:58 PM
nissanlvr

I really am real you guys, and I really am not trying to rip apart Infiniti as a brand, or the G37 as a car. I understand my experience is not typical. These cars are well-regarded. Ranked highly by consumer reports both overall as a car and for its reliability, and I remember when this generation G came out it beat out all its competitors in car magazine comparos. It is a good car.

But, many of my problems have been reported by others on this forum. It just seems that my car happens to have every single common problem there is. And that's frustrating

I guess I was hoping for helpful tips, or others who have had some of the same problems and know how to fix, things like that. Not attacks and accusations of being a liar or ****
Old 02-08-2014, 06:00 PM
nissanlvr

Originally Posted by forrmark
Sorry you have all those problems. I have a 2011 Journey sedan which has none of the problems you mention. As someone already wrote, you have a lemon which is not indicative of the usual Infiniti quality. Perhaps, you should trade it in for something else. When you buy a used car, you are taking a chance. The problems you are having are probably the reason the original owner sold the car.
Thank you for not attacking me. Yeah, I think I really did get a bad one . Most Gs are not like mine. I bet you're right, this probably is why the original owner sold. Now I get to deal with it :/
Old 02-08-2014, 06:16 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
As others have said it sounds like you bought a lemon. I would take it to the dealership and give them a chance to try to fix them. I had some rattling in my center console by the ash tray and it took two trips to the dealer to fix it. They added some foam padding the first time and it minimized the rattles but the second time they added more and it has gone away. Make sure you get it done before the warranty expires too, that way there is no chance that they'll charge you for it. I'd be curious to see how it works out for you.

Quick Reply: Disappointed in my G37