G37 Sedan

Disappointed in my G37

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 07:25 AM
huskerblue

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had 2 consecutive audi a4's, I was shopping for a 3rd (also considering BMW). 12 straight years of audi. Also had Nissan products in the past (280z, 300z). I loved my audi's but wife put her foot down and said time to back to japanese. She was right , the ongoing stream of repairs on both audi's really was kind of ridiculous. Love my g and I'm certain it will have a much lower hassle factor.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:43 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by WannabeSport
Why the hell is there such a misconception with german cars that you can only keep them until the warranty is up? If you MAINTAIN the car and not just wait for it to break, the cars last and last and last. They aren't disposable vehicles. They are a piece of engineering masterpiece that need to be maintain thoroughly. Yes, you will pay a little bit more for the maintenance, but maintenance intervals are 2-3X longer than a typical Japanese car due to their parts and everything being so beefy. You do 7-10k oil changes vs 3-4k. But it is all in the maintenance.

Do your research, inspect the car, and be knowledgeable. It makes owning a car like this that is engineered to a certain spec on every possible thing that much more reasonable. You just cant think of it like a Toyota and not do anything to it. Because when it breaks, it is going to be expensive. Preventative maintenance and it is a LOT less likely to break.
Got 246k miles on my 1980 Diesel VW Rabbit
Got over 100k miles on my 1966 and 1969 VW Beedles

Telcoman
Old 02-14-2014, 08:51 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by WannabeSport
^You should have done your research on the 02-03 745. That isn't a good car to own. Even a BMW person will tell you that. Bad example of german reliabily. They aren't all like that car.
That's true, that wasn't a good job on my part doing the homework
To be sure it was a fantastic car to drive when all was going well, library-quiet, fantastic interior materials & switchgear, plenty of power and surprisingly good gas mileage. I've had a couple VWs before w/out any significant issues. I would consider a German car again, even a BMW, just a new one or one that's nearly new w/ a good warranty left.
It has always been a mantra that as you go higher up the number w/ BMW you'll have more issues, if I do end up w/ a BMW it'll be a 3 or 4, maybe even that new 2
The following users liked this post:
WannabeSport (02-14-2014)
Old 02-14-2014, 09:18 AM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kanariya
0 problem wit my bmw. 0 problem with my g37 as well.

porsche is one of the more reliable luxury brand.

These are dependability ratings on three year old cars. I would like to see this same chart when these same brands are seven years old.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:08 AM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Still under warranty is it, so do cars surveyed in the chart. To OWN something, you need to look beyond at least 5 years.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:57 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by 00Max00
Still under warranty is it, so do cars surveyed in the chart. To OWN something, you need to look beyond at least 5 years.
Yep, exactly the point.

If I wanted to lease or sell within 2 or 3 years, I could "buy" anything.

But since I keep my cars, I need something that I know isnt going to break the bank after the warranty ends.

To each his own, I just cant afford to be changing vehicles every 2 or 3 years.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:35 AM
AUR11

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by STownSaint
Can't comment much from experience (only have about 7k mi so far), but I agree that expectations play a big part. My previous car (Nissan Altima) was great, loved it, but it had tons of rattles at 75k mi (orig owner). Sure the G sedan is marketed as "luxury" but that didn't convince me to expect much of an improvement over the Nissan. I just hope the creaks and rattles pop up before my bumper to bumper coverage expires. Also, most of these types of postings are from second-hand owners. Nothing at all wrong with that, but these owners should realize the "inherent risks" that previous owner(s) could've used & abused the car (not saying that's always a factor, but could be a likely one). Hope you find some fixes OP

A difference that is well worth the price
My first car was a 96 Nissan Altima. That car never had a rattle and I bought it with 70k miles and drove it till 130k and did not make one sound. I also feel like the build quality of that cars interior was a lot better than the current Nissan products, same goes for the Maxima.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:52 AM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
My wife's juke rattles & squeaks. Only has 10k on it.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:58 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by AUR11
My first car was a 96 Nissan Altima. That car never had a rattle and I bought it with 70k miles and drove it till 130k and did not make one sound. I also feel like the build quality of that cars interior was a lot better than the current Nissan products, same goes for the Maxima.
My 2001 i30 that my 2011 G37 replaced was far nicer in the interior than the G. But I honestly just got tired of driving it, and listening to people call it a "retiree" car (FWIW the Maxima which was the same exact car just somehow looked more sporty)

I actually sold it to a family member, and have had a couple chances to drive it since then. Yes, the interior is nicer, but OMG I felt like I was going to fall out of the seats and the thing drove like a pig. Still happy with my G purchase. Would probably be happier with a Q50 if they could figure out the DAS issues, at which time I might think about buying.

The *only* other option is the new C-class, but again we get into "they've been great, recently". I need to know it will be great 5+ years from now. Squeaks and rattles are one thing.....high $$$ repairs are completely another.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:48 PM
skeener

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris11LE
My 2001 i30 that my 2011 G37 replaced was far nicer in the interior than the G. But I honestly just got tired of driving it, and listening to people call it a "retiree" car (FWIW the Maxima which was the same exact car just somehow looked more sporty)

I actually sold it to a family member, and have had a couple chances to drive it since then. Yes, the interior is nicer, but OMG I felt like I was going to fall out of the seats and the thing drove like a pig. Still happy with my G purchase. Would probably be happier with a Q50 if they could figure out the DAS issues, at which time I might think about buying.

The *only* other option is the new C-class, but again we get into "they've been great, recently". I need to know it will be great 5+ years from now. Squeaks and rattles are one thing.....high $$$ repairs are completely another.
We had a 2001 I30t. The only thing it had on the G was interior and trunk volume. Definately a nice car for the money. It did shift better.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:50 PM
skeener

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh this really proves it.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:23 PM
Glenn2008
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
I'm with the other person who posted up about what this reliability chart would look like on 7 year old cars.