G37 Sedan

Disappointed in my G37

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 07:30 PM
gsm026
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I previously had an '09 G37xS, which was virtually perfect. Not a single warranty item in 4 years. I sold it and bought an '11 6MT. I do have a rattle from the sunroof that has shown up in the run of cold weather we've had recently, but if I have the radio on I don't notice it. The 6MT is the full sport model, of course, but the rattles are not too bad yet.

I see no difference between the quality of the '09 and the '11, except for the clutch and manual trans, and that was a price I decided to pay.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:47 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 334 Likes on 255 Posts
Can't comment much from experience (only have about 7k mi so far), but I agree that expectations play a big part. My previous car (Nissan Altima) was great, loved it, but it had tons of rattles at 75k mi (orig owner). Sure the G sedan is marketed as "luxury" but that didn't convince me to expect much of an improvement over the Nissan. I just hope the creaks and rattles pop up before my bumper to bumper coverage expires. Also, most of these types of postings are from second-hand owners. Nothing at all wrong with that, but these owners should realize the "inherent risks" that previous owner(s) could've used & abused the car (not saying that's always a factor, but could be a likely one). Hope you find some fixes OP

Originally Posted by gsm026
except for the clutch and manual trans, and that was a price I decided to pay.
A difference that is well worth the price
Old 02-09-2014, 08:04 PM
nissanlvr

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks to all for your comments. They are appreciated.

Yes, I think that sometimes you just have the misfortune of getting the one car out of 100 that wasn't put together as well. I think I got that one, and that's why it is full of rattles. I think it would have been like this even if I bought it new. When I'm driving on a perfectly smooth road, I love the car. I really do. I can forgive the cheap plastics for its great drive, technology, comfort, sound sytem, etc. It's when I hit an imperfect road that all the noises start, and they really detract from the driving experience. I think that if the dealer can fix the main noises, I can accept a few small ones and I'll be happy again.

Interesting that financeman's 2013 has been better than his 2010. They probably have made some minor improvements over time, perfecting the assembly process and whatnot. Sort of like how they switched the easily scratched door handles on the 07-08s to the more durable, harder black plastic ones. Why they didn't do the same for the part on the steering wheel beats me.

Agreed egschear. And I know it's not just Infiniti, I'm upset with Infiniti because I happen to have an issue with my Infiniti but it can happen with all brands. I have a neighbor who bought a new 2012 Honda Pilot. Obviously Honda has a reputation for quality, but that thing was a disaster. Needed a new engine at 10,000 miles, and I can't remember what all else went wrong. Honda ended up buying it back after it sat for a month while they tried to identify the cause of the engine issue. My neighbor was not a happy camper. If the Pilot and MDX share an engine, his issue might have been similar to yours. I remember it started with blue smoke from oil consumption.

Thanks for mentioning about the compressor noise. I didn't realize, and I thought all I had to worry about was the air conditioner not working. I'll definitely make that one of my priorites.

Telcoman, your car looks good with the snow and ice on it. I think the sport wheels really look good on these cars. But even though it's pretty to look at, I sure am glad I don't have to go out in that snow!

Last edited by nissanlvr; 02-09-2014 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:09 PM
Jack10525
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I don't have (or haven't noticed yet) all the problems you listed but I am not overly excited about my G. It's very heavy, soft suspension, bad on gas, lacks power....I think I chose the wrong car again....
Old 02-10-2014, 09:03 AM
skeener

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack10525
I don't have (or haven't noticed yet) all the problems you listed but I am not overly excited about my G. It's very heavy, soft suspension, bad on gas, lacks power....I think I chose the wrong car again....
There are car faults, and there is human error. Your situation is the latter.
The following users liked this post:
Jack10525 (02-14-2014)
Old 02-10-2014, 09:28 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
What are you comparing it to?

My dads Vette is faster and handles better than my G37. Its also completely unpractical.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:00 PM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Which other car in its class has more power?
Old 02-10-2014, 12:24 PM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
You are not alone. A lot of people just don't realize these things and many are too in love with their cars to realize faults. If you pay attention, you notice this ****.

Mine is a 2013 with 13k on it. It rattles everywhere, speaker rattles in passenger door, my roof creaks and squeeks too, the dash will NOT shut up etc etc.

And then don't get me started on the powertrain. That 7AT is enough to make me want to gouge a Nissan engineers eye ***** out for even THINKING that was acceptable to put onto the market. I drive my friends older Gs with the 5AT and it is a SIGNIFICANTLY better, more refined transmission. Hell I think the old VQ35 was a much smoother engine. This one is corse and just doesn't seem smooth when stringing it out.

I am so looking forward to when my lease is up. My mother doesn't really drive so i think I am going to drop the G off with her during the week and use their BMW 550i for my rounds around the city. Car has 62k and is so much smoother and quieter. It is a refreshing breath of air to drive that car after this one. And it outhandles the G despite being a class larger... I blame that on the non sport suspension and slower steering response of the G though.. which I have also expressed my gripes with several times on this forum after owning a sport package manual G...
Old 02-10-2014, 03:14 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by warped ideas
God I'm glad I live in Florida!^^^
Beware of flooding
Old 02-10-2014, 04:02 PM
10Gee37exeS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Think you got a lemon there. My 2011 can be easily described as the opposite of your gripes.

It reads to me like you'd rather have a Lexus. Go get one, get happy again.

I empathize with 90% of the OP's gripes...But I still enjoy the car a lot. Don't "LOVE" it tho..

And like you suggested...If I can find a nice reasonably-priced 2010 Lexus IS-F, G is going on the sale block. I think the only car I stopped actually looking for another car for while after I bought it was my '97 e36 M3. Actaually been looking for another one...or maybe an e46 M3...or a 2001 M3 Coupe/"Shoe" as my project/"fun" car...
Old 02-10-2014, 04:57 PM
nissanlvr

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by WannabeSport
You are not alone. A lot of people just don't realize these things and many are too in love with their cars to realize faults. If you pay attention, you notice this ****.

Mine is a 2013 with 13k on it. It rattles everywhere, speaker rattles in passenger door, my roof creaks and squeeks too, the dash will NOT shut up etc etc.

And then don't get me started on the powertrain. That 7AT is enough to make me want to gouge a Nissan engineers eye ***** out for even THINKING that was acceptable to put onto the market. I drive my friends older Gs with the 5AT and it is a SIGNIFICANTLY better, more refined transmission. Hell I think the old VQ35 was a much smoother engine. This one is corse and just doesn't seem smooth when stringing it out.

I am so looking forward to when my lease is up. My mother doesn't really drive so i think I am going to drop the G off with her during the week and use their BMW 550i for my rounds around the city. Car has 62k and is so much smoother and quieter. It is a refreshing breath of air to drive that car after this one. And it outhandles the G despite being a class larger... I blame that on the non sport suspension and slower steering response of the G though.. which I have also expressed my gripes with several times on this forum after owning a sport package manual G...
Lol I agree, this 7AT was nowhere near ready for prime time. I've driven the VQ35HR/5AT combo in an 07 G and, while it may be a couple tenths of a second slower to 60 and a little less fuel efficient on the highway, it was SO much better than the 3.7/7AT. So much better. The good news is I've heard (and experienced in a loaner) that they have fixed this lack of refinement on the Q50's. The way they have it on the Q50 should have been the way it was on our G's. Sucks that it isn't.

And thanks, it makes me feel better to know that I'm not alone with these issues, and that I'm not crazy. But obviously I know how irritating they are, so sorry you're going through the same thing.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:04 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by nissanlvr
Lol I agree, this 7AT was nowhere near ready for prime time. I've driven the VQ35HR/5AT combo in an 07 G and, while it may be a couple tenths of a second slower to 60 and a little less fuel efficient on the highway, it was SO much better than the 3.7/7AT. So much better. The good news is I've heard (and experienced in a loaner) that they have fixed this lack of refinement on the Q50's. The way they have it on the Q50 should have been the way it was on our G's. Sucks that it isn't.

And thanks, it makes me feel better to know that I'm not alone with these issues, and that I'm not crazy. But obviously I know how irritating they are, so sorry you're going through the same thing.
Im curious if they fixed it on the Q with hardware changes or just different software.

And over on InfinitiQ50.org there has already been one person posting about how the transmission started lagging after being great for a few weeks. So lets not call it fixed just yet.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:43 PM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Q50 is still going to have 7AT issues and they still rattle and squeak after a few miles. They just ruined the steering, made it more expensive, etc. Q50 is not the replacement for the G. Another brand is a replacement for the G lol
Old 02-10-2014, 11:02 PM
mtech369
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
sounds more like buyers remorse. or perhaps you didnt research and examine the car you bought closely enough and now problems are starting to arise.
nissans and hondas are not known for the sound insulation material in addition having stiffer sportier suspension tend to result in more interior nvh concerns.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:47 PM
BSG1

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can relate to the OP. I bought my 07 G35S new and it started causing me numerous issues over the last year. Not much in the way of rattles or squeaks, but more mechanical. In the last 12 months I've had to repair a head gasket leak, transmission replacement, clock spring, catalytic converter, and O2 sensor (fortunately most were under extended warranty). I meticulously maintained this car, even realizing it isn't a true luxury car, I expected more. I recognize my issues seem to be uncommon but it was enough for me to lose faith in the Infiniti brand based on my experience.

It now just sits until I can sell it. I have since replaced it with a 2011 Lexus IS-F that is pure entertainment and perfection for me. Before I bought that, my Tacoma even got more road time than my Infiniti.

Sorry to hear about your issues OP, and hopefully the dealership can remedy them and it can be as good as new for you.

Quick Reply: Disappointed in my G37