G37 Sedan

Disappointed in my G37

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 10:01 PM
63Corvette

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Take a deep breath while I give you the bad news....You have bought a MACHINE!
Old 02-08-2014, 10:08 PM
nissanlvr

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Hopefully you can get the majority of the most annoying items addressed. I find the little creaky noises (sounds like styrofoam cups rubbing together) really annoying, especially the first several minutes while the entire cabin is warming up. The AT is something I've just gotten used to, I had the 5AT in my 07 G35 and it was more straightforward in it's operation but the 7AT going up through the gears is really quick, it's the downshift/coasting where it's hunting and hesitance can get tiresome. It takes a bit of catering to the quirks of the AT but I really don't find it too bad now. I drove a 135i w/ the DCT and then I got annoyed again, lol, that AT is very good up & down the gears.
Hope you get some satisfaction, keep us posted. There's also some DIY threads for fixing some of the squeaks & rattles if you have the time.
I hope so too. Thanks

I know exactly what you're talking about, I forgot to mention that! I have had that same styrofoam sqeaking type noise too, from somewhere in the back of the car! It only did it on a few very cold mornings though (like less than 10 degrees F), and hasn't done it in weeks, so I'm not concerned about that one. And like you said, it stops as soon as the car starts warming up.

I agree on the tranny. I think the programming needed more work. I like the gearing of it. First gear gives you great acceleration, and 7th is nice and high so you aren't wasting gas and engine wear on the highway. 7 speeds is enough to give you that, but not something ridiculous like these new 9 speeds some cars have that probably shift all the time. I remember the old 5AT, they shifted much much better in my opinion than this 7AT. But I remember they'd rev at like 3000 rpm at 60 mph or something crazy like that haha. I prefer my 2500 at 70. And I'm the same as you... After a while I get used to this transmission. Then I drive something else, get back in my car, and it bothers me again for a little while

To be honest, I've never looked through the DIY section, as I'm not much of a do-it-yourselfer. I trust the mechanics at the dealership much more than I trust myself haha. But I'll take a look, maybe I'll find a solution for one of my issues that isn't too complicated

Last edited by nissanlvr; 02-08-2014 at 10:16 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:12 PM
nissanlvr

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Take a deep breath while I give you the bad news....You have bought a MACHINE!
Thanks for making me laugh haha.

Yes, I am aware of that. Its a complex machine with thousands of parts, assembled by imperfect humans. I don't expect it to be 100% perfect, but mine seems to be way less than perfect, and less than most other G's.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:55 PM
nissanlvr

Thanks for the tips everyone. I think I was just frustrated after driving home this afternoon listening to the loud rattle in my dash that even my music couldn't drown out. Now I've settled down, but I really do have all the issues I mentioned and they do bother me.

I'll ask the dealer about the ones that bother me most and report back.

And, I don't know much about these cars, but I do know a little, so hopefully I can contribute something to the forum.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:43 AM
CodeG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Paranoid and overly high expectations happen from time to time. I did complain about my G before, but I found way to make it works for me. The G is a decent quality car, I enjoy driving it more and more.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:41 AM
alfredo24pr

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by nissanlvr

1. Rattles & Squeaks & Vibrations galore! It seems like there is a new noise every weak. I have noises from inside the dash, inside both front door panels, inside the front passenger's seat, inside the sunroof area, from the map light/sunglass holder, back deck (behind the back seats/over the trunk), inside the steering wheel area, etc. And I could go on and on. They absolutely drive me insane, not to mention how embarassing it is when I have a passenger and they notice all these noises in my 40k mile 3 year old car. Also, when I drive on an unlevel surface (like pulling into a driveway, parking lot, etc. which "twists" the car) I hear metallic creaking from all over the roof of the car.

I have this problem sometimes. even more embarrassing considering its a luxury car. Good thing most of these problems were just temporary. I do have an acceleration pedal squeak but dealer will replace it next time I service my car.

Good luck with your car and remember that all cars have problems.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:33 AM
skeener

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I have noticed on other car models that sometimes refinement increases from the first year introduction to the last. Maybe the real life feedback results in dozens of small but much appreciated "fixes."

Maybe there was a wave of such tweaks to hit for the 2013 MY, because mine is drum tight, and only suffers from the weird auto trans. Then again, maybe it will follow Chrysler and turn to dust at 50K?
Old 02-09-2014, 10:40 AM
Infinitard
Premier Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Old 02-09-2014, 10:53 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Can't add much to what's already been said. I will say this; when buying any car, if you have any doubts what so ever, take it for a test drive that will relieve those doubts. I was gone nearly 2 hours on my test drive before signing the papers. One dealer even offered to let me take the car over night.

Can't comment much on the AT as I've only driven several of them. No clue what software, but the trans didn't seem as smooth as the one in our grand prix (in standard D mode, not any of the manual modes). Downshifts seemed harsher than expected.

The MT is no peach either with the high uptake/small friction zone clutch. It does shift smooth and has good feel.

No such thing as an ideal vehicle.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:02 AM
Infinitard
Premier Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
In all seriousness though, my sedan has a bunch of creaks and weird noises that you will most likely get used to, but if you are still under warranty take it in. They will take care of it.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:38 PM
MrG_NY

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You mentioned back on page 2 that you were going to wait to complain about the AC compressor noise. That would be the first noise I would be concerned about the most. If that compressor seizes you will be stuck on the side of the road. Fix it before it is a major issue.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:59 PM
financeman

I'm on my second G37x lease. The first was a 2010 model G37x, the second a 2013 version of the same. Although both cars drive alike, the 2010 model was much more prone to interior noises and rattles. From day one, the 2010 model had wind noise from the rear quarter windows and the front console had terrible sqeaks the dealer was unable to resolve. It also had the infamous back deck rattle which I fixed myself. On the other hand, the 2013 has been totally trouble free with virtually no interior noises. The transmission in the 2013 model is also much better/smoother. I sometimes wonder if its simply bad fortune if you happen to purchase a rattle trap. Sorry for the OP's issues...sounds like he did indeed get a bit of a lemon.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:04 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
To the OP

Buying a used car can be a crap shoot.
I'm on my second Infiniti. The first was an 06 G35 6sp manual that I traded in Aug 31st 2012 with 171796 miles. Loved every mile.
My current G37S I love even more, Even when it couldn't make it up my driveway in over 6 inches of snow last Monday.

Name:  2014-02--07MyPictures020714-005_zpsed2f1a06.jpg
Views: 1328
Size:  103.3 KB

Name:  2014-02--07MyPictures020714-006_zpsf03b1ea8.jpg
Views: 1145
Size:  95.3 KB

Sounds like you got a lemon as others have suggested.

I only purchase new vehicles as life is too short to deal with issues such as you have.

Telcoman
Old 02-09-2014, 04:22 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
God I'm glad I live in Florida!^^^
Old 02-09-2014, 06:45 PM
egschear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OP definitely sucks to hear the issues you are having with your G. My '13 G37S has been absolutely problem free (albeit it only has 7500 miles on it).

My wife's '13 MDX on the other hand is a complete piece of crap. Used two quarts of oil in the first 5k miles, and had tons of other little "issues" (rattles, broken cup holder, broken fog light) along the way. Ended up getting the complete front cylinder head replaced at 9k miles due to a faulty valve from the factory on cylinder number 5.

Some times in life you just get a bad one and it doesn't matter if it's new or used.

Quick Reply: Disappointed in my G37