G37 Sedan

G37x sedan mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 11:39 PM
Razorr

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
G37x sedan mods

I was planning to install some light modifications to my car like maybe lowering the car, changing the rims, installing body kits or installing air intakes. However, the salesman at the dealership was telling me that doing any kind of mods to the car can void it's warranty. So could you tell me what mods can I do without voiding the warranty?
Old 01-07-2014, 11:53 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
Modifications can't void your warranty unless they are the direct cause of the issue. For instance, if your starter stops working, and they try to blame it on an intake or exhaust, the are trying to weasel out of fixing it. Now if your engine hydrolocked because your Stillen or Takeda intake sucked up too much water, that's another story.

Appearance mods (wheels, body parts, etc) will not void any warranties.

Lowering the car is always the biggest concern for warranty issues. The dealer will ALWAYS pin something because the car is lower. Has happened to me in the past but it was resolved my VW headquarters.

All in all, I wouldn't be too worried about the basic mods you want to do. It's a completely different story if you slam your car on its ***** and drive around town.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:22 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
With an AWD it's very important to keep any tire/wheel changes very close to the diameter of your OEM size. You can go w/ bigger wheels & wider tires but the diameters have to be real close. Some members w/ X models have reported issues at speeds over 80mph when they have diameters over 1% different. So keeping your new tires within 1% diameter variance should be your goal.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:57 AM
Razorr

Thanks for clearing that up. So do any of you guys know a good workshop to modify cars near Ohio?
Old 01-08-2014, 10:07 AM
botlfed98
Registered Member

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
I would recommend lowering with the new Swift springs, mild drop. Upgrade to some 19" coupe sport wheels or 370Z and maybe a catback exhaust.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:12 AM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Originally Posted by botlfed98
I would recommend lowering with the new Swift springs, mild drop. Upgrade to some 19" coupe sport wheels or 370Z and maybe a catback exhaust.
That's a great way to start IMO
Old 01-08-2014, 12:08 PM
Razorr

I was planning to install air intakes but will it worsen the fuel economy a lot?
Old 01-08-2014, 12:20 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Originally Posted by botlfed98
Originally Posted by Razorr
I was planning to install air intakes but will it worsen the fuel economy a lot?
It will only negatively effect your fuel economy because you won't be able to keep your foot off the accelerator.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:52 PM
Razorr

Originally Posted by connoisseurr
It will only negatively effect your fuel economy because you won't be able to keep your foot off the accelerator.
Great then I don't have to worry about it because I accelerate so slowly that I don't even let the rpm get over 2000
Old 01-08-2014, 12:54 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

You'll be a-ok. There are a few intakes for sale in the private classified section if you're looking to save a few dollars.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:19 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
I was planning to install some light modifications to my car like maybe lowering the car, changing the rims, installing body kits or installing air intakes. However, the salesman at the dealership was telling me that doing any kind of mods to the car can void it's warranty. So could you tell me what mods can I do without voiding the warranty?
As connoisseurr mentioned most shouldn't void your warranty. When I take my car in for service now the parts and service manager, parts lead and one of the service reps come over to see what I've done to it now.

Originally Posted by blnewt
With an AWD it's very important to keep any tire/wheel changes very close to the diameter of your OEM size. You can go w/ bigger wheels & wider tires but the diameters have to be real close. Some members w/ X models have reported issues at speeds over 80mph when they have diameters over 1% different. So keeping your new tires within 1% diameter variance should be your goal.
THIS. Brad was kind enough to bail me out when I was having an issue and has provided great information in several threads.

Enjoy it! I said I wasn't going to mod much too...
Old 01-08-2014, 02:34 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Originally Posted by RexHavoc
As connoisseurr mentioned most shouldn't void your warranty. When I take my car in for service now the parts and service manager, parts lead and one of the service reps come over to see what I've done to it now.
Been there done that. Talk about driving a Jetta into VW service, with air ride, custom hood and bumper work, and a fully custom exhaust. The techs like all the stuff, but the service advisors are plain morons lol.

I have swift springs, and I already want to get coils. I'm curious to see what Tunerz store comes up with regarding BC coils with swift springs and rubber top hats.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/3718443-post31.html
Old 01-08-2014, 03:03 PM
Adam West
Registered Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Auto Warranties & Routine Maintenance | Consumer Information

Will using 'aftermarket' or recycled parts void my warranty?
No. An 'aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer. A 'recycled' part is a part that was made for and installed in a new vehicle by the manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer, and later removed from the vehicle and made available for resale or reuse. Simply using an aftermarket or recycled part does not void your warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket or recycled part. Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket or recycled part was itself defective or wasn't installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverag
Old 01-08-2014, 07:21 PM
Razorr

I just got the car last week and it's brand new right now. Would it be a good idea to mod the car right away or should I wait atleast 6months or a year before doing anything to the car? One more thing if I install aftermarket products will I have to spend a lot of time after the car, like taking it to a showroom to get serviced more often or will the maintenance cost go up? I'm beginning college and won't be able to spend too much time or money after cars. Sorry for my noobish question but our driver always used to maintain our cars so never got to learn anything.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:18 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

I just got the car last week and it's brand new right now. Would it be a good idea to mod the car right away or should I wait atleast 6months or a year before doing anything to the car? One more thing if I install aftermarket products will I have to spend a lot of time after the car, like taking it to a showroom to get serviced more often or will the maintenance cost go up? I'm beginning college and won't be able to spend too much time or money after cars. Sorry for my noobish question but our driver always used to maintain our cars so never got to learn anything.
Installing basic modifications we are discussing here will not accrue any additional maintenance. Just keep up with your basic fluid changes, tire rotations and TLC, and you'll have a car that lasts you a long long time.

Quick Reply: G37x sedan mods