G37 Sedan

Kind of regretting my decision not to stick with Honda right now

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 09:01 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
I know I'd be pretty sour on my car & the brand if things went south in a hurry. OP & those that reply, please keep things per topic and civil, when things don't go well emotions can get the best of us so lets take the high road. Interested in hearing how this gets resolved but lets play nice
Old 01-10-2014, 12:51 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Elohel
I was making a comparison to how a 20k car handled the weather to a 40k car. I never said one was better, merely that I was unimpressed that a 40k car was having issues that my 20k car didn't. Pretty fair comparison, imo. Obviously to say one car is better than the other because of that one specific reason is quite honestly retarded, so no, I never said the Civic was better because of that.

I hear there's a game out there that you might enjoy, though:
Was your Civic bought new?

The G being used, we still cant know how it was treated before you bought it.

Or, its just the luck of the draw. Remember, not everyone had problems with Honda transmissions, but I had 2 vehicles with the same issues. Just the (bad) luck of the draw.

My cousin had a Camry that required a complete brake system replacement before the brakes would work "as expected", yet my mother in laws Camry of around the same year has had nothing but oil changes, tires and timing belt done to it.

And my 2011 G doesnt shift that great when cold either. But I expect that....when its THAT cold out, its gonna take a few minutes for stuff to get up to operating temp. Your electronic issues, though, should be checked out. They may just come back and say it was because of the cold and they cant re-create it.

Maybe the battery is weak?
Old 01-10-2014, 02:56 PM
G37XSER

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
OP, I really hope you get this thing resolved, I personally would be ticked too if it happened to me. I also live close to the metro, I have an 09 G37XS w/60,000 and it has started up and ran great every cold day so far. Granted, it does take a little while for the tranny to shift good when it's below zero, which, in my oppinion, shouldn't. This IS the first vehicle I've owned that has done that.

Regardless, I really do like my G and won't be getting rid of it any time soon. Again, good luck, and please let us know the outcome.

David
Old 01-10-2014, 11:12 PM
ross7778

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 G37x with 16k miles. I've had it about a month. I also live in Minneapolis. I experienced the rough idle at startup during the subzero temps and slow shifting at first. No electrical issues though.

Coming from a 2005 Acura TL which was not very reliable. It was bought used and possibly abused though.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:51 PM
carstocks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frankly, I am very surprised to hear that a number of people have had this many issues with their G. In June, I sold my 2007 G35X sedan and bought a mint 2011 BMW 335 Xdrive with 19k miles. Really an awesome car but so many annoying little design things that started to just drive me crazy. Like only one 12v power supply, had to manually switch Nav to night mode, no storage at all, no cargo net option even available, hard run flat tires, no back up camera option, etc etc etc. Then, it needed to go in the shop twice in 3 months... Once for an adaptive headlight little plastic shaft that broke and light aimed up in the air. And that doesn't count the smallish pothole I hit that required a four wheel alignment at a local shop.

Now understand, my 2007 went back to Infiniti once in the 5 years that I owned it. It was a check engine light that wound up being an O2 sensor that was under warranty and fixed in less than an hour after I dropped it off. By far, this was the most reliable car I have ever owned and I'm on my 41st car. Yes, I've owned both an Acura TL a Prelude in the past. I do love Honda products but my G was just about as completely trouble free as a car could ever be . And I was not easy on it either.

So within 3 months, I sold the BMW and looked at many other used cars that I liked for more than 2 months. This included BMW 550, CTS V, Lexus GS AWD, S4, TL, IS350, Charger, to name a few. There are so many great AWD Cars out there but many are like the BMW 335 I owned. They require just too much maintenance or were missing too many options (amazing that features like keyless entry / start , leather, heated seats and even Xenon headlights are not in a lot of these cars that were well over $45k when new).

Finally, I found a completely loaded 2010 G37X-S sedan with high highway miles that was in just about mint condition. I picked it up for $16,300 with 80,000 miles on it and I could not be happier. I bought it because I just don't need to have to worry about it having to go to the dealer 5 times a year like some of the other cars I mentioned earlier. I want to get in, push a button, and go. The G is not the best in any one category but it does EVERYTHING very very well. I never expected to buy another G, but at less than half the price of my BMW 335, I could not pass it up.

I guess I just want people to know how good most of the G s are. There are cars that are quicker, faster, handle better, have better fuel economy and so on. But even putting aside the deal I got, I think people would be hard pressed to find another AWD entry luxury car for the price, performance, reliability, and standard options that you can get with a G37X. They are bargains used. Just my experience and 2 cents - Sorry for the long post.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:47 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
^ great first post. And very sound thoughts on the overall G package. You are preaching to the choir for most members on here. No question that for the money you'd be hard pressed to do better than a G in terms of value, performance, features and reliability. Obviously the OP has had a run of bad luck that needs to be addressed by the dealer, as many have stated. I don't hold what his issues are against the Nissan/Infiniti brand, just his car in particular which was purchased used.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:04 PM
carstocks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, do you have an update for us?
Old 01-16-2014, 09:12 AM
zpieces

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by carstocks
I guess I just want people to know how good most of the G s are. There are cars that are quicker, faster, handle better, have better fuel economy and so on.
+1 everything but better fuel economy... These G's are quite thirsty.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:55 AM
Muujig612

I have a 2011 g37x and during winter in Mongolia it gets as low as -40 degrees Fahrenheit. Of course I have a garage to put my car but during the day I have to park it outside and the car temperature sometimes shows -30 degrees Celsius which equals -22 degrees Fahrenheit in the coldest of winter days.

Much much colder than your condition and it drives fine. I just let it warm up for 5 minutes and once the engine coolant temp gauge starts to rise I start driving.
The following users liked this post:
skeener (01-16-2014)
Old 01-18-2014, 02:17 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Elohel
Yes, I'm sure Infiniti as a whole is a nice line up,but frankly, this car performs like **** when it's cold out, and it's inexcusable. I just have higher expectations when my 20k Honda civic handled the weather better than a premium car like this. Even when the car is working, I've noticed how rough it rides before it warms up. It's definitely shaking my faith in this car lasting.
It was 1 degree here on the east coast recently. Car was out all day. Started it up, warmed it for about 3 minutes and drove off...no issues....just drove it gently for 3 miles.

The original retail price of a car has no bearing on future issues. Maybe you can accept issues on a 20k car easier than a 40k car, but no manufacturer has 100% reliability. Infiniti as it goes is pretty good. You should def. work with the dealer.

Last edited by g37guy01; 01-18-2014 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:53 AM
DredG37

I live in the Northeast and had negative 3 on the gauge in the car. It started fine every time. It does idle rough when first started in that weather though for sure. It warms up very fast though and I've had no issues with the feel of the tranny. The AWD got me through a foot plus of snow in my driveway no problem.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:56 AM
Butternut

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I bought my 2010 as a CPO this last summer with 16K on it, and it has been my daily driver for a horrendous commute from Northern Virginia into D.C., through all kinds of nice and nasty weather. So far this vehicle has been an absolutely bulletproof "wolf in sheep's clothing" reliable performance monster. In particular, I'm amazed at how incredibly robust the suspension is and how long it holds a decent alignment with the daily punishment of D.C. streets. The paint seems to suck, and I feel that regular dosing with Techron really keeps the throttle (and 7AT) response at its best, but beyond that, it's probably the most trouble free, enjoyable vehicle I've EVER owned, and I've owned a ton of them, including BMWs and Mercedes. (I still love me some Mercedes, too)
Old 02-13-2014, 01:50 PM
Jack10525
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
OP hopefully your car still has a warranty. The miles seem low enough. I'd take it in and try getting a loaner. I'm starting to think these psuedo luxury cars cost more than they are really worth.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:51 PM
SkylineG

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Yup my car feels exactly the same way in Canadian weather, somedays it won't even start, have to give throttle to assist. And those are days where my remote start comes in handy. I had 3 Hondas before my S coupe so I know exactly what you are saying. But I still love my G, the presence, tech, power and looks, there is no Honda that can compare right now.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:07 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by SkylineG
Yup my car feels exactly the same way in Canadian weather, somedays it won't even start, have to give throttle to assist. And those are days where my remote start comes in handy. I had 3 Hondas before my S coupe so I know exactly what you are saying. But I still love my G, the presence, tech, power and looks, there is no Honda that can compare right now.
Remote start on a 6MT???

Quick Reply: Kind of regretting my decision not to stick with Honda right now