G37 Sedan

Kind of regretting my decision not to stick with Honda right now

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 06:06 PM
Vehicon011

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to myG37.com

Before I reply to your post..

Welcome to myG37.com!! Congrats on being a fellow member of this forum.

Now back to the post.

At 22k miles, some of the basic warrenty should still be valid. The dealership needs to take a look at it to see whats wrong. Since it is an used vehicle, this particular unit might have been abused or never serviced correctly. If all this happened to a brand new vehicle then yes I would be very very upset also. I am sorry about your luck but the dealership should fix it.

Now did you buy the car from a Infiniti Dealership? or a just a small used car lot? If you bought it from the dealership, did you go over the warrenty information with them before you signed? Did you check to see if the car had service records? Or how many owners the car had? Carfax report to see if the car had flood damage? if the car has ever been in an accident? I am assuming if you are going to upgrade your ride and drop 20grand on a car you did your research.

If you had bought the car from a small used car lot with no service records or anything.... maybe this will be a expensive lession for you

I understand your frustration. Take it to a dealership and get it checked out. Let the forum know what happened. We can give you advice based up your experience. This is a very large forum with tons of experienced car owners. Let the G37 Community help you with the car. Sure you got some rather negative reponses from the forum. But no offense you did do the whole "Hondas are better" on a Infiniti Forum (this is expected, lol. Imagine the reponses on a Honda Forum.)

Again welcome to myG37.com and hopefully you get things worked out...
Old 01-08-2014, 07:36 PM
macintos

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Troll troll troll. Know where I go when I have a serious problem with a product I buy? The manufacturer. I do not go to an ENTHUSIAST forum. You have no real good information for us so we can try to help.

Would you like me to upload you a fix for your car? Get real Peter Pan, Count Chocula... go to a mechanic that can help. I motion we stop responding to this guy.

I bought a flood salvage title... I come here for help if I need it, not to whine.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:04 PM
Yazovets

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
It's unfortunate your car is in limp mode now, but there are plenty of northern G owners that have had zero issues with their car. The car idles roughly when it is cold, that's a fact, and the transmission takes a little while to warm up too. Your experiences seem to be far from the norm when it comes to the car in that kind of climate, I wouldn't be so quick to blame the entire service line.
I operate my G37x in Toronto and up in Oro-Medonte, Ontario. Lately we've been having morning temperatures of up to -30 with a windchill of -40. That's -22*F and -40*F in your US system. Every cold car will idle roughly and shift harder in the first 3-5 minutes. Nobody should expect anything different regardless of the car's cost.

And nobody should EVER regret ditching a Honda Civic, I'm sorry. That is one putrid vehicle.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:43 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by Yazovets
And nobody should EVER regret ditching a Honda Civic, I'm sorry. That is one putrid vehicle.
I'll drink to that. Hard to believe this thread has survived as long as it has...
Old 01-08-2014, 09:21 PM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
sell the car, go buy a civic, stfu and gtfo.
The following users liked this post:
ShaneLaf (01-09-2014)
Old 01-09-2014, 08:25 AM
John B

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm sorry but if you think you honestly think you don't need to let the car warmup in -10 degrees you have lost your mind. For one oil thickens up way before it gets that low in temp and even when you start it in the morning on a warm day for the first time it goes thru a warmup cycle where the car idles at a higher rpm then settles down. The motor is a high compression motor and needs time to warmup and any car would need time to warmup in that temperature.

You ever heard an M5 V10 or a 335i on warmup. It doesn't sound very good either. Or what about a sport bike, they take forever to warm up and that's at 50 degrees.

If the car is idling high on startup let it go thru the cycle before you take off.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:58 AM
Glock Diver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd be mad as hell if I bought that car and was having the same issues as you. My experience with Honda was a 2006 Accord EXL that I bought new when i lived in Virginia. Loved that thing, and never had problems starting it in sub-freezing temps either.

2 things I would say:

1. Give Infiniti the chance to fix it. In my very limited experience with their service dept, I'm impressed.

2. I recall reading in the owners manual that the car needs to warm up 5-10 minutes in cold temperatures. I glossed right over that since I live in Florida, so I might be off on the time, but it certainly makes sense.

Good luck and let us know what the dealership tells you!

Mike
Old 01-09-2014, 11:51 AM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Elohel - did you find out, from the dealer, what happened to cause limp mode?
Old 01-09-2014, 12:45 PM
AUR11

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
I've had my G37 for about 7 months now, it's been fine up until yesterday, it would start and then the rpm's would sputter and then it would die. I had it towed into the dealer yesteday and they are trying to figure out what is causing the issue as it is still under warranty. I only have 42k miles on it and it's been mantained every 3500 miles by me and the previous owner at the dealer with all records. I guess I am just used to my car starting every time since I drove a Lexus for the last 8 years. Dealer here is fantastic though and I hope this isn't a major problem but I still wouldn't give it up for anything else out there at the moment.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:36 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
as you can tell by all the posts, we take our G's real serious here.

get that thing fixed and welcome to the forum.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:51 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Elohel
Yes, to all of the people saying "it could happen to any car" and whatnot, I completely understand that. I'm not saying the G is a terrible car or anything like that, merely that I'm displeased that the car I just bought a month ago has already left me stranded. It's a vent post, that's all. Some of you guys are way too invested in this car and are taking this personally - it's a CAR. I'll never understand why people get so defensive over brands and whatnot.
Maybe because you came on here and started saying that your Honda Civic Si was a better car..............I don't own a G currently but you even offended me.......crazy huh?

Originally Posted by Elohel
I hate to be "that guy", but my god damn Honda Civic handled cold weather better than this. For a car that was touted as a "40 thousand dollar luxury car" when I was buying it, I'm frankly unimpressed.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:34 PM
Sunny G
Registered Member

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts
It's probably specific to a few cars in the cold. Maybe there is some other underlying problem. In the cold my car needs to warm up for at least 15 mins for the clutch to function smoothly. If I just start it and wait 5 mins and go the clutch grinds 1st to 2nd for the next 5 mins and this only started after I did the RJM clutch mod. I don't know the what the myths are but I do this by observation. An example would be about break in procedures which is off topic but I think it's a decent example. I did not do any break in with my car as I drove it like I stole it from the lot however my brother got a new lexus and he did a break in for a 1000 miles and his car started having an idle issue a short while after that.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:36 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 177 Likes on 116 Posts
Originally Posted by connoisseurr
I hope you're not starting your car and just driving off.....

I start my car and let it run for about 4-5 minutes even before I start driving in the morning. When I begin driving, I take it very easy until the trans and diff fluid gets up to operating temperature.

Your civic runs better because a) it's a 4-cylinder and it warms up quicker, b) because it's FWD, your trans fluid warms up quickly being close to the engine, and c) those motors are built to be turned on and driven. The VQ37 is a performance motor and needs time to build oil pressure and warm up. Don't expect it to perform right off a cold start. I think you're jumping to conclusions a bit too quickly...

Also, keep in mind that it's -10 out... that car needs to warm up.
^ +1 on warming the engine up. At -10, the oil viscosity is quite thick, even with lower weight oils and oil pressure has to build.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:30 AM
Elohel

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
My car is at the dealership now getting looked at. I'm a little sour about that as well. I was told when I bought the car that a CPO vehicle meant ALL maintenance required per the mileage would be done. Now they're trying to push some $150 fuel cleaner maintenance crap on me due to the mileage. It's optional so they didn't include it in the CPO work. Seems kind of bunk to me.

I honestly donno why some of you guys are so damn butthurt over this. If you bought a car and a month later it broke down on you, you wouldn't be upset? Give me a freakin' break.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:34 AM
Elohel

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Tazicon
Maybe because you came on here and started saying that your Honda Civic Si was a better car..............I don't own a G currently but you even offended me.......crazy huh?
I was making a comparison to how a 20k car handled the weather to a 40k car. I never said one was better, merely that I was unimpressed that a 40k car was having issues that my 20k car didn't. Pretty fair comparison, imo. Obviously to say one car is better than the other because of that one specific reason is quite honestly retarded, so no, I never said the Civic was better because of that.

I hear there's a game out there that you might enjoy, though:

Quick Reply: Kind of regretting my decision not to stick with Honda right now