G37 Sedan

Kind of regretting my decision not to stick with Honda right now

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 04:27 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Elohel
"It's a performance motor and needs time to warm up" is honestly such a cop out excuse. This is a mass production sedan, not a full-fledged, niche market sports car. My civic was an Si and had the "performance" motor in it as well, still drove fine cold. When you go up in vehicles you don't expect to go down in performance, even just cold starting. Just my $0.02.
With that being said, your civic SI was still a FWD car. You won't feel the "jerkiness" (if that's an accurate term) as you will feel in a RWD or an AWD when it's cold. I noticed this right off the back. I owned an SI in the past and I knew how it responded and performed in cold weather. I think the coldest it gets around my area is around 5-10 degrees? I had an 08 Acura TSX that did not respond to well to the colder temperatures. I always had to let it warm up for it to not feel sluggish on a cold start in a cold climate.

Originally Posted by canucklehead
^ say what? where are you getting this info from? what does being a 4-cylinder have to do with warming up quicker versus a 6-cylinder? and what does Nissan do that doesn't allow their engines to be "turned on and driven"?
The point I was getting at is that is a smaller engine and has less oil to heat up. It will reach operating temperature quicker than a 6-cyl. Probably not a substantial difference, but it will still warm up quicker. I've even noticed this compared to the SI and TSX that I've owned. My last car was a 2012 Jetta TDI and you needed to warm that car up before you drive in a colder atmosphere, or else it was sluggish to the max. Its not that Nissan does something differently, it's that it's a larger motor.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:19 PM
BSG1

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've had my share of issues with my 07 G35S since buying it new. Head gasket leak, bad clock spring, valve body and torque converter failures, etc., and it only has 57k miles. It may be a unique issue with mine as well, but I too have lost any interest in purchasing another Infiniti product.

I placed a deposit on a Lexus (the dealership is trying to source a pre-owned model I want in the right color/options) since for me they are much more enjoyable to drive. I use my truck more often simply because I don't enjoy driving my G35 anymore, and will be happy when I can trade it in and move on.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this in your car, but I unfortunately know what you're feeling.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:06 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
On my 2nd G and I bought both new. No issues to really speak of with either aside from an electric seat motor and front wheel bearing on the '04.

Buying used is always a gamble unless you know who you're buying it from. I'd feel safer buying from an enthusiast here, I think. We (mostly) all take very good care of our cars.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble, but don't let it sour you on the brand.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:20 PM
dc2r

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
im on my 2nd g as well.

g35 6mt with navi and now g37s with navi and tech.

both cars we're pretty bad in the cold, but once they warmed up, drove normal again.

i'm in canada and it gets pretty cold. but i give it a 5 minute warm up otherwise it feels like i'm driving a truck.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:54 PM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Elohel
For a car that was touted as a "40 thousand dollar luxury car" when I was buying it, I'm frankly unimpressed.
Well, you obviously didn't drop 40 grand on it, so your point is moot. I would take your rant more seriously if you actually had issue with a brand new car. And, who was arguing last time that buying an used car was not a gamble?
Old 01-06-2014, 10:04 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
On my 2nd G too, our first (07 G35) that we sold to a friend is still going strong at close to 100k miles and ours has almost 60k, no issues w/ either car except for a couple TSBs and transmission updates.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:14 PM
LexiG37

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Sell it. Goodbye.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:32 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 331 Likes on 253 Posts
May be worth noting that upon cold start, regardless of temperature, the enginer is this car is pretty noisy. As in, the sound it makes is along the lines of a diesel (might not be that bad, but it takes some getting used to)

Otherwise, shame about the problems, wouldn't say they're common in the least. Sometimes you gamble with buying a second hand car, hopefully you bought it CPO or at least can take advantage of the OEM warranty. Good luck (even though you should've thought a bit more about how to effectively communicate with a bunch of G owners lol)
Old 01-06-2014, 11:41 PM
gsm026
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I have no special cold issues with my G. It was -7F when I drove away this AM, about 5F when I started the car up this evening. I let it warm up for a minute or so, but that's all. Manual gearbox is a bit stiff but I would expect that.

Seat heaters could warm up quicker ... that's about the extent of it.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:09 AM
Elohel

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 00Max00
Well, you obviously didn't drop 40 grand on it, so your point is moot. I would take your rant more seriously if you actually had issue with a brand new car. And, who was arguing last time that buying an used car was not a gamble?
Your argument makes no sense. Just because I didn't buy it brand new does not mean it shouldn't reflect the value for what they're asking to build it.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:12 AM
Elohel

Originally Posted by STownSaint
May be worth noting that upon cold start, regardless of temperature, the enginer is this car is pretty noisy. As in, the sound it makes is along the lines of a diesel (might not be that bad, but it takes some getting used to)

Otherwise, shame about the problems, wouldn't say they're common in the least. Sometimes you gamble with buying a second hand car, hopefully you bought it CPO or at least can take advantage of the OEM warranty. Good luck (even though you should've thought a bit more about how to effectively communicate with a bunch of G owners lol)
I'm going to say it like it is. It's a cpo with 22k miles on it and stock. It has broken down on me within a month of owning it. I had a civic Si, driven far more aggressively whilst turbocharged at 14 lbs of boost on stock motor/tranny/clutch and it never gave me a mechanical issue in 6 years of ownership. Surely you can see the stark contrast in reliability between the two is leaving a sour taste in my mouth.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:22 AM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 331 Likes on 253 Posts
^ OP I hope you figure out the issue with your car, but I think your approach here is counter productive to both your predicament and our community

Honestly I couldn't care less about Civics, they're damn fine cars, wouldn't argue with you there, but it's apparent that your G ownership thus far is in "stark contrast" to an overwhelming majority here. Perhaps the fact the a car with only 22k mi is back on the market is an indicator of why your having problems. Just speculation, but if someone prior abused your car, it won't perform how it's supposed to (though I'd say most here bought used as well with no problems)

Not trying to be forum police, but I think you'll be more welcomed here once you drop the whole Hondas are better pitch, because you're just wasting your energy and time
The following 2 users liked this post by STownSaint:
G37Sam (01-07-2014), yenhsravkeviv (01-07-2014)
Old 01-07-2014, 01:52 AM
Bpd138

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,
Elohel, I'm sorry you are having problems with your G but as other's have pointed out I think you got a lemon. I'm on my second G37X and have not had one problem with either of them. As for the warming up in the cold weather; i don't know about any of you, but up here in the New England when it's below freezing there is no jumping in the car and driving to warm it up when the windshield is covered in ice.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:53 AM
Elohel

Originally Posted by STownSaint
^ OP I hope you figure out the issue with your car, but I think your approach here is counter productive to both your predicament and our community

Honestly I couldn't care less about Civics, they're damn fine cars, wouldn't argue with you there, but it's apparent that your G ownership thus far is in "stark contrast" to an overwhelming majority here. Perhaps the fact the a car with only 22k mi is back on the market is an indicator of why your having problems. Just speculation, but if someone prior abused your car, it won't perform how it's supposed to (though I'd say most here bought used as well with no problems)

Not trying to be forum police, but I think you'll be more welcomed here once you drop the whole Hondas are better pitch, because you're just wasting your energy and time
For one, I don't care how my approach is. I'm not trying to convert or persuade anyone of anything.

Secondly, I don't think honda is better than Infiniti. I'm merely saying my personal experience with Honda has been vastly better so far. I think I'm entitled to say that. It's literally exactly the same as the guy in this thread who said he can't trust acura after his tranny issues. People naturally form opinions based off of personal experiences. When my car leaves me stranded on literally the coldest day of the year (-50 windchill) a month after buying it, I ain't exactly smelling roses over here.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:14 AM
jazzmang

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
If it's giving you problems, take it back to the dealer. I don't know what your aim is in your post.

Listing your complaints on your car purchase (whether it's an Infiniti or not) that appears to have issues immediately after purchase is not going to result in real life action.

Your posts don't seem to be asking questions or for advice either, so what's the purpose? Venting?
Lauding your old civic in contrast to this unknown variable of a car that happens to be giving you issues right this moment is counterproductive.

Take it to the dealer. Get answers. Get it fixed. Enjoy the car.
If the car is in bad shape, the dealer screwed you, not the car manufacturer.

Who knows what the heck the last owner did to it (or didn't do to it maintenance-wise).

Quick Reply: Kind of regretting my decision not to stick with Honda right now