G37 Sedan

Power Steering Tilt Clicks/Settles

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 03:40 PM
jdjurado
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Power Steering Tilt Clicks/Settles

Hey everyone, this is my first post and I decided to write it after not finding much information about this topic in the forum.

I have a 2010 G37S Sedan and I recently noticed that anytime after I use the power steering/telescope button to move the steering wheel up/down, the steering wheel clicks/settles into another position after a little pressure in the opposite direction from which I moved it.

For example, if I move the steering wheel down, I can put a little upward pressure on the steering wheel and the steering wheel will move a "click" up. Same thing with the other direction.

Luckily it only happens that one time each time I move the wheel with the button--it's almost as if the motors that move the steering wheel do not fully lock into place at first then my manual pressure moves them into that locked position.

Does anyone else have this issue and is there any way to fix it?

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2014, 05:03 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by jdjurado
Hey everyone, this is my first post and I decided to write it after not finding much information about this topic in the forum.

I have a 2010 G37S Sedan and I recently noticed that anytime after I use the power steering/telescope button to move the steering wheel up/down, the steering wheel clicks/settles into another position after a little pressure in the opposite direction from which I moved it.

For example, if I move the steering wheel down, I can put a little upward pressure on the steering wheel and the steering wheel will move a "click" up. Same thing with the other direction.

Luckily it only happens that one time each time I move the wheel with the button--it's almost as if the motors that move the steering wheel do not fully lock into place at first then my manual pressure moves them into that locked position.

Thanks!
I noticed this issue in both my 09 and my 11. I only noticed it when I had turned on the option to have the steering wheel lift on exit or when the car is turned off. I just found a comfortable spot to leave the steering wheel and turned that option off and haven't had an issue since.

As far as a fix I don't know of any. Have you tried asking the dealership?
Old 01-03-2014, 05:37 PM
brizey

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Mine does that too. I am so used to it I notice its absence when driving my wife's car, lol. I think its just a thing with the stepper motor.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:53 PM
JMS2000

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
A friend of mine has a 2011 sedan that does the same thing as you descibed. Something might be worn out or loose, because I don't think it did it when the car was new. I'd imagine it's something a dealer would address under warranty.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:49 AM
jdjurado
Registered Member

Yeah my 2010 is about to run out of warranty and my dealer is about 2 hrs away.. I think I can live with it or just turn off the steering wheel up feature upon opening the driver door.

Thanks for the replies!
Old 02-02-2014, 01:22 PM
acesk8er

My 2011 G37 does it, too, and even though it doesn't happen very often it's very disconcerting when it does. In my case the steering column settles into its final position after I start to drive. I asked the dealer to look into it and they could not reproduce... They inspected the steering column and assured me that there is no safety issue.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:59 PM
jdjurado
Registered Member

Yeah the dealer told me it happens on most cars even brand new but that they'd check it out just to make sure it's nothing else major. I have a few other minor problems so I'll probably take the 2hr trip to the dealer with my list of things to take care of.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:57 PM
gburger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jdjurado

Thanks!
I have a 2011 G37 xs Sedan. My steering column does the same. It clicks when i put slight pressure on the steering wheel, but only once each time the car is started after the wheel is in position.
The dealership says it's normal, many owners have this issue. There's no fix.
Doesn't bother me, as long as it's not a safety issue.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:13 PM
allando

Mine has been doing that from the day I purchased it. Seems like a normal condition to me.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:46 AM
Adam West
Registered Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Yup, it's normal. It happens in my 09 as well.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:55 PM
dagenius01

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
happens to my car as well. When i informed the service guy about it, he already knew of the issue and said it is on every car and there is nothing they can do about it.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:07 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
It's annoying but if you turn the option to have your steering wheel lift on exit then it won't do it, at least that's how it is with the 3 G's I've owned.